Post Office in Cebu City

battleborn

I have used the post office next to Fort San Pedro a couple of times to mail letters a couple of times.  But recently had a request by my granddaughter to send her some dried mangos for her birthday.  Seems her mother, a nurse, works with a Filipino nurse who brought back from Bacolod some dried mangos and they both loved them.

Anyway I asked my girlfriend if the post office had boxes to buy so I could pack it and send, she said she didn't think so and I would probably have to bring my own.  I didn't know what to think so I went down there Wednesday to check.  Sure enough I was told line 10 sold boxes but they were closed for lunch, it was 12:35.  I went over to line 10 and have a look.  There were various boxes there with prices on them and I could see he was sealing a box before he went to lunch.  Sweet!

On Friday I returned with my mangos and went to line 10.  My small box was 54p, I had to put the shippers address and contact info and the ship to info on the box.  Then he taped the box put the mangos in sealed it, weighed it and said " that will be 2,076p to mail ( pretty expensive ).  I said ok and had to fill another paper, shipper info, ship to info, sign and go to another line to pay.  Got in line, paid, she printed a stamp gave me a shipping paper and receipt and then I went back to line 10. He attached the paper to the box which had the contents Dried Mangos and said that that will be 54p for the box (shit). Paid the 54p, he put on the stamp and I was done.  Take about 7 to 9 days for it to get to the US.

Nice to know I can ship boxes by mail but it is expensive.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

They can buy dried mangos just about anywhere in the USA. They can even buy ones that were packaged in the Philippines if they have a preference for one's from there.

Sent using TapaTalk, so forgive any spelling mistakes...

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 1
battleborn

They can buy dried mangos just about anywhere in the USA. They can even buy ones that were packaged in the Philippines if they have a preference for one's from there.

Sent using TapaTalk, so forgive any spelling mistakes...

My granddaughter wanted me to send her some for her birthday.

They live in a town in northern California and would have to drive 150 to 200 miles, Sacramento or Bay Area to find dried mangos.

• Like 3
SumDumJoe

Take about 7 to 9 days for it to get to the US.

Can you follow up on this and tell me how long it takes for her to actually get it? I am curious to know how good PhilPost is leaving the country. 

And you could maybe order some on Amazon or NetGrocer and had them shipped to her.

It's still a cool thing to do for a grand daughter. 

• Like 1
battleborn

Can you follow up on this and tell me how long it takes for her to actually get it? I am curious to know how good PhilPost is leaving the country. 

And you could maybe order some on Amazon or NetGrocer and had them shipped to her.

It's still a cool thing to do for a grand daughter. 

Will do, I am curious also.

I wanted the mangos to have Cebu Mangos on the package, they had a picture of her holding a bag when she asked for them.

• Admin (Retired)
Aerosick

Nice gift. Hope the packaged source (Cebu) passes usda requirements for mangoes.https://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/manuals/ports/downloads/FAVIR/Guimaras-Luzon-Visayas-Mindanao.pdf

We've brought dried mangoes back with us. No problem going through Customs at LAX Airport.

• Like 1
battleborn

Nice gift. Hope the packaged source (Cebu) passes usda requirements for mangoes.https://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/manuals/ports/downloads/FAVIR/Guimaras-Luzon-Visayas-Mindanao.pdf

These were dried mango slices, it said "export quality" on the package.  

The info you are referencing is about whole mangos

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon
didn't know what to think so I went down there Wednesday to check.  Sure enough I was told line 10 sold boxes but they were closed for lunch, it was 12:35.

That's just not possible with the "No noon break" policy at all government offices! 

:sarcasm:

I picked these up for my wife the other day while procuring some wine at the grocery store. 

post-2454-0-51280600-1463462386_thumb.jpg

I see regular dried mangoes all over the place here in NV. 

Edited by Monsoon
battleborn

That's just not possible with the "No noon break" policy at all government offices! 

:sarcasm:

I picked these up for my wife the other day while procuring some wine at the grocery store. 

attachicon.gifIMG_5203.JPG

I see regular dried mangoes all over the place here in NV. 

They say green mangos, and I don't see Cebu anywhere on the package.  I lived in Reno for 13 years and had a filipino store I went to, didn't notice dried mangos but I wasn't looking for them.  I know you can't find them in every small town in the US, most of the mangos come from Mexico.

As far as the lunch break, are you calling me a liar?  I was there, how bout you?  I have seen no lunch breaks in many Gov buildings, but at the Post Office maybe the boxes and wrapping are not part of the post office and contracted out.  I paid for the box at one place and the postage at another.  All I know is they were closed from 12-1 and another part of the PO was also closed.  Not sure what their function was. 

Oz Jon

put the mangos in sealed it, weighed it and said " that will be 2,076p to mail ( pretty expensive ).

Surely dried mango is available in the USA a lot cheaper than that?

It certainly is available in Oz ( from the Phils too!)

Here is a quick Google result - maybe not even the cheapest available?

A$41/kg at the local supermarket.

Some down to A$32/kg

A$1 = 34P

post-15613-0-61794500-1463480913_thumb.jpg

Edited by Oz Jon
Enuff

Great job!!

I'm sure your granddaughter will be very pleased to receive her international package full of her Cebu favorite.

Seems like price wasn't an issue, as it shouldn't be with grandchildren!

Edited by Enuff
  • Like 3
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

As far as the lunch break, are you calling me a liar?  I was there, how bout you?

Is English not your first language or do you not understand sarcasm? 

• Like 1
RogerDat

Office was NOT closed, but workers who have no helper still have to eat, so there U R!

Sarcasm is something I seldom see understood here what with so many different people.

Why can't we all just get along?

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Sarcasm is something I seldom see understood here what with so many different people.

That's why I put the prominent  :sarcasm:  emoticon into my post...

You know, just in case...

• Like 1