I'm not sure where this should go. Maybe someone can put it in the right category.

I know a Filipina that became pregnant from an American. About one week before she gave birth, they were married. The child was registered very quickly at the US Embassy and a passport was acquired. The father works in another country (not the US) and got a tourist visa for the wife and child to visit this other country. The child's grandmother from the US also visited the husband's work country at the same time the mother and child were visiting.

All sounds good so far, but...  One morning while in the work country the Filipina woke up and the baby and it's American grandmother were both gone. The husband tells her that they needed to take the baby to the US because it needed an operation. She knows nothing about anything wrong with the child. She was also warned to not tell anybody about this or she would never see her child again.

The Filipina is recently back in the Philippines and doesn't know what to do.

Anyone know about the legalities regarding this situation? How should she proceed?

Tullioz

Do you know this Filipina well enough to know for 100% certain she is being truthful? Did you know her before and after she was pregnant, ever meet the husband, see her physically pregnant, and see her with the baby once it was born? I am only asking these questions to get a better idea of the situation and to determine whether or not she has a genuine complaint.

Edited by Tullioz
  • Like 6
to_dave007

Do you know this Filipina well enough to know for 100% certain she is being truthful? Did you know her before and after she was pregnant, ever meet the husband, see her physically pregnant, and see her with the baby once it was born? I am only asking these questions to get a better idea of the situation and to determine whether or not she has a genuine complaint.

I agree completely..  Before getting too deep into this OP should confirm that it's 100% real.  This doesn't fully pass the smell test..  and at a minimum it sounds like there is a LOT more to the story.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 4

Yes, I've met both

Yes to all the above. I've seen the child's passport. And both the husband and child have the same skin color if you know what I mean. The husband was present for the birth and did all the embassy stuff to get the passport. This is not a hoax.

I don't understand what could possibly motivate someone to do this. That's why I posted here.

So back to the original question.  What can she do?

• Like 1
Nangulo

What can she do?

More so, what does she want?  The kid, money, incarceration of the grandma and/or dad?  She has to have a goal to be able to proceed.

• Like 4
Tullioz

Yes, I've met both

Yes to all the above. I've seen the child's passport. And both the husband and child have the same skin color if you know what I mean. The husband was present for the birth and did all the embassy stuff to get the passport. This is not a hoax.

I don't understand what could possibly motivate someone to do this. That's why I posted here.

So back to the original question.  What can she do?

Going to an attorney would be a good start, also she can contact the Hague Conference on Private International Law. Here is a link to their website.

https://www.hcch.net/en/states/hcch-members/details1/?sid=121

It states that the Philippines is bound by the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction, but I am not really sure about that. Here is a link to what that covers.

https://www.hcch.net/en/instruments/conventions/full-text/?cid=24

I will be out of town next week, but when I return I know someone here I can ask about this, but this is no doubt an urgent situation, so I would suggest she act right away. I know the husband warned her not to tell anyone or she would never see her child again, but she should not allow that to intimidate her from seeking help.

EDIT:

I found this article and it is not encouraging.

http://www.international-divorce.com/ca-philippines.htm

I would still suggest she contact the HCCH in the first link to confirm this information. Either way, they can probably give her some suggestions.

Edited by Tullioz
  • Like 1
Buko Beach

The father works in another country (not the US) and got a tourist visa for the wife and child to visit this other country. The child's grandmother from the US also visited the husband's work country at the same time the mother and child were visiting.

All sounds good so far, but...  One morning while in the work country the Filipina woke up and the baby and it's American grandmother were both gone. The husband tells her that they needed to take the baby to the US because it needed an operation. She knows nothing about anything wrong with the child. She was also warned to not tell anybody about this or she would never see her child again.

The Filipina is recently back in the Philippines and doesn't know what to do.

To be able to offer advice it would be pertinent to know the name of the work Country, since that's where the alleged abduction took place.

• Like 3
to_dave007

I've seen the child's passport.

Did the grandmother not need the child's passport to take a child that she is NOT the parent of and has no custody of from the "husbands work country" to the USA?  I would expect the passport to be with the child.

My advice to the girl is to tell the story wherever she can, and seek a sympathetic ear with someone who can help her financially.

Edited by to_dave007
Nangulo

My advice to the girl is to tell the story wherever she can, and seek a sympathetic ear with someone who can help her financially.

Sound advice.  That worked for the Harry Doyle case, the Canadian murdered in Surigao City.  A news organization from Canada came to town and made a 1 hour documentary.  Not saying that's going to happen here, but the more the story is told, the greater the chances of it getting press.

jtmwatchbiz

the husband warned her not to tell anyone or she would never see her child again,

judging by this thread obviously that warning went unheeded.  since the gal had no reservations on telling the OP one would suspect she is capable of sharing her problem with agencies capable of looking into the matter.  my guess is there is a lot more to this than what she reported. 

• Like 4
rizla

judging by this thread obviously that warning went unheeded.  since the gal had no reservations on telling the OP one would suspect she is capable of sharing her problem with agencies capable of looking into the matter.  my guess is there is a lot more to this than what she reported. 

There are always three sides to a story!!

• Like 2
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Doesn't the father have as much right to the child as the mother?

Maybe even more since the child is a US citizen, as is the father.

• Like 2
jtmwatchbiz

Doesn't the father have as much right to the child as the mother?

Maybe even more since the child is a US citizen, as is the father.

well the headline "Stolen Baby" sounds more exciting than "Dad thinks he is better fit as a parent than mom"  :)

• Like 4
Cipro

I've seen the child's passport.

How does a child travel internationally without its passport?

• Like 2
smokey

More so, what does she want?  The kid, money, incarceration of the grandma and/or dad?  She has to have a goal to be able to proceed.

add deep pockets .... help cost money