Sign in to follow this  
Sunflower1

Best Health Insurance in Cebu

Axel C

Paramount have health insurance too, i will have a meeting with them in a week or two.

http://www.paramount.com.ph/

Prices seem very fair, but take a look and maybe contact them to get their policy and prices

Kabisay-an gid

Blue Cross: no quote

Pacific Cross (formerly Blue Cross PH) has pricing on their plans posted on their website:

Major Medical Plan Premiums

https://www.pacificcross-insurance.com/mm-premium.php

Health Insurance Plan Premiums

https://www.pacificcross-insurance.com/mh-premium.php

Senior Health Insurance Plan Premiums:

https://www.pacificcross-insurance.com/ms-premium.php

Asian Medical Plan Premiums:

https://www.pacificcross-insurance.com/ma-premium.php

Monsoon
If you're referring to Pacific Cross (formerly Blue Cross PH), the Annual Travel Plan covers you for up to 90 days per trip (unlimited trips per year) for a fixed annual rate, whereas the Bon Voyage Travel Plan has a variable rate for a variable period (single trip) - up to 180 days maximum period of insurance.

As I read the "Annual travel plan" it describes a basic travel accident insurance plan. I can buy one of these from a US based source for about the same money. 

Besides, it would only be for coverage outside of the Philippines. 

I doubt that is the type of coverage the OP was looking for. 

Anyway you guys are dreaming if you think that a Pacific Cross Insurance plan like this is going to protect you for your general health care needs. 

Edited by Monsoon

Kabisay-an gid

As I read the "Annual travel plan" it describes a basic travel accident insurance plan. I can buy one of these from a US based source for about the same money. 

Besides, it would only be for coverage outside of the Philippines. 

I doubt that is the type of coverage the OP was looking for. 

Anyway you guys are dreaming if you think that a Pacific Cross Insurance plan like this is going to protect you for your general health care needs. 

I wasn't endorsing Pacific Cross. A couple members wanted information, I gave it to them. Have a nice day.

• Like 1

Jawny

Ok...I am looking for the best insurance for me and my kids in Cebu or even not best but the ok one. So what do you all suggest to me...I thank you all in advance.

Have you had a chance to check out the insurance plans mentioned above? I'd be interested in how it works out for you.

As you can tell from the posts, there are a lot of opinions and some seem to want to vent about bad experiences. I've had the same insurance company for three decades (or is it four) and in pretty much every instance, I was disappointed in the coverage.

The best thing to do is stay healthy.

Kabisay-an gid

People will come out and tell you how great PhilHealth is, but this is more like a discount card than health insurance. The rates they pay for major procedures won't even get you in the door of the best facilities in the country. Sorry I worked too hard to sit in a ward with 10 other people or an antiquated provincial hospital if I become ill.

I agree with you that PhilHealth isn't all that and a bag of chips, and that it's more of a discount program than genuine health insurance, but it's not bad considering the very low price and definitely better than nothing.

I was paying for PhilHealth for my then Filipina fiancée (now wife) a few years ago before she came to the States. She had a medical problem that put her in the hospital, a quite good private provincial hospital run by foreign missionaries. Private room with a total bill of about 23,000 pesos - PhilHealth paid right at about 42% of the bill, close to 10,000 pesos. Considering the monthly premium was less than $10 US, I'm not complaining.

Also, my Filipina SiL's husband is currently undergoing kidney dialysis. PhilHealth is paying right at about 40% of the bill each month. Considering they're nearly indigent, it has been literally a lifesaver.

For expats living in the Philippines, I definitely wouldn't recommend it as their sole source for covering medical expenses, but it makes a good supplemental plan when combined with a major medical plan. If my wife and I ever decide to live in the Philippines full time, I'll definitely have PhilHealth for both of us as a supplemental.

• Like 2

Monsoon
I agree with you that PhilHealth isn't all that and a bag of chips

I never said it was a bad thing. I personally had Phil Health coverage for my family when we lived there. In fact, I think our coverage is still active. Like you said, at the price point, 'why not?' But don't rely on that to take you through any major catastrophic events. Again, for me that is what insurance is for. I would be dancing to the parking lot (if able LOL) when presented with a 23k PHP hospital bill. 

My point was, when you have an expat coming to the forum asking for advice about health insurance, they are likely looking for something that is comparable to what they have now. And in the same perspective, perhaps similar care than they are used it. Provincial hospitals (regardless of who they are run by) don't provide the level of care that I am used to. 

my then Filipina fiancée (now wife) a few years ago before she came to the States. She had a medical problem that put her in the hospital, a quite good private provincial hospital

I am glad to hear your wife's issue was sorted. I have been in several provincial hospitals over my years in the Philippines for various reasons (charity stuff, visiting friends whatever). I've also been in the country's top 3 hospitals for various reasons, including child birth. Sorry, but I would not want my child to be admitted to a provincial hospital unless it was her only choice in a dire emergency. You didn't say how long your wife spent in the hospital for 23,000 pesos, nor the extent or nature of her treatment.  But I know first hand what one night costs in the nation's best and it is far more than 23k. 

Edited by Monsoon

Jawny

I have chosen to not get Philhealth for my family because of the bureaucratic hassle of getting reimbursed from a non-Philippine insurance.

I know that without Phihealth hospital admission will likely require a cash up front process. I accept that as part of living here. After the bill is settled, I can file my claim with my insurance company.

However, when I file a claim for reimbursement with my insurance carrier, one question always included is if there is other insurance coverage. With Philhealth, I'd have to indicate yes. The problem comes when I'd have to wait for Philhealth to process my claim before my non-Philippine insurance would compute their coverage. It's been my experience with other family members that Philhealth can be slow to completely process claims.

If I have a large cost and then have to wait months before any reimbursement, that is unacceptable to me. So, I have chosen to forego the use of Philhealth in spite of the benefits it offers.

TheWhiteKnight

I have chosen to not get Philhealth for my family because of the bureaucratic hassle of getting reimbursed from a non-Philippine insurance.

I know that without Phihealth hospital admission will likely require a cash up front process. I accept that as part of living here. After the bill is settled, I can file my claim with my insurance company.

However, when I file a claim for reimbursement with my insurance carrier, one question always included is if there is other insurance coverage. With Philhealth, I'd have to indicate yes. The problem comes when I'd have to wait for Philhealth to process my claim before my non-Philippine insurance would compute their coverage. It's been my experience with other family members that Philhealth can be slow to completely process claims.

If I have a large cost and then have to wait months before any reimbursement, that is unacceptable to me. So, I have chosen to forego the use of Philhealth in spite of the benefits it offers.

Is this even true? I thought you know as soon as you check out what your discount was. In fact you can't even leave the hospital before you pay, and that is already after PhilHealth is applied by the hospital.

Am I wrong here?

Jeepney

Is this even true? I thought you know as soon as you check out what your discount was. In fact you can't even leave the hospital before you pay, and that is already after PhilHealth is applied by the hospital.

Am I wrong here?

I seen quite a few times that they (patients/carers) wait till PH pay their share to the hospital,

it involved a long waiting time though, sometimes more as a day!!

rep1

I've had the same insurance company for three decades (or is it four) and in pretty much every instance, I was disappointed in the coverage.

the standard procedures I read on Allianz and William Russell say you're supposed to submit a form prior to in-patient treatments, let them contact the hospital(s) for payment and then you go there for free (if approved). I wonder how that works out in practice??

What if you have a heart attack?

die of course. It's the living I'm afraid of.

Edited by aqd

Jawny

the standard procedures I read on Allianz and William Russell say you're supposed to submit a form prior to in-patient treatments, let them contact the hospital(s) for payment and then you go there for free (if approved). I wonder how that works out in practice?? die of course. It's the living I'm afraid of.

Living is easy. Dying is hard. No need to be afraid

TheWhiteKnight

I seen quite a few times that they (patients/carers) wait till PH pay their share to the hospital,

it involved a long waiting time though, sometimes more as a day!!

A day? is that really a long time, that's not enough to take the stance that Jawny is taking.

ckfm

Travelling to remote locations plus no availability of Dr or hospitals in many areas is often a big problem. Then you have the no fly at night regulation. No insurance company can help you then. Even visiting close locations like Camotes Island or Bantayan Island could be the cause of death. Then add the traffic poblem to it and a ride to the hospital which should take 5 to 10 minutes may as well last 1 hour. Living in the Philippines as expat cuts off about 10 years from your normal life expectancy, so reaching even 70 may not be realistic.

RogerDat

ERUF Ambulance on Mactan 349 2994. Visit them at City Hall area and give them your address / map, and any health issues U have can be a life saver. In Cebu, IT park and Mandaue.

Emergency Rescue Unit Foundation,

• Like 3