Sign in to follow this  
Sunflower1

Best Health Insurance in Cebu

rep1

true but the insurance companies don't care? They don't have a clause limiting how many months or years you may stay on foreign soil. I'm just wondering anyone having real experience of it? I have it but apparently never used...

Edited by aqd

Lee

We use it for our trips each year but I suspect it is limited to the length of our trip, so if for one year, which is the longest most airlines will allow for a round trip, then that would be the limit on insured time. 

rep1

more stuff I found:

- Aviva: way too expensive, above £150 / month

- AXA PPP: standard plan excludes recurrent/long-term illness; better plan cost more than €200/mon

- Bupa Global: no Philippines? and minimum deduction from HK website says $1500!

- Clements: $155 for semi-private room and no cover if terrorism is involved...

- Manulife: there were reviews but I couldn't find any international plans.

- William Russell: €101 for bronze plan, $1.5m & private-room. It looks like a specific provider for expat insurance, but seems small?

Both of Allianz' cheapest plan €108 and Cigna's cheapest €102 cover only semi-private rooms, but such rooms are being phased out in many countries?

cheapest option so far is William Russell's €101/mon. But the insurance plans they provide come from Allianz Nederland? WTF is that? an insurance agent company? Their products aren't listed on Allianz...

Edited by aqd

Lee

Most expats cannot even get insurance in the Philippines, if they have any preexisting even conditions such as high blood pressure and even if controlled by medication. Blue Cross will may exempt those conditions and anything related to them, and Caritas will supposedly exempt them for one year but also limit the coverage for anything related to them.

If a person wants to have health insurance, then IMHO it is probably better to visit instead of live full time in the Philippines or take your chances and have a high limit credit card and a lot of cash on hand.

We often read of westerners dying in the Philippines, I would bet most had uncontrolled health issues because of lack of insurance. 

Edited by Lee

Monsoon

Ok...I am looking for the best insurance for me and my kids in Cebu or even not best but the ok one. So what do you all suggest to me...I thank you all in advance.

IMO the 'best health insurance in Cebu" is a medium/high limit credit card, a healthy lifestyle and maybe a repatriation policy. 

People will come out and tell you how great PhilHealth is, but this is more like a discount card than health insurance. The rates they pay for major procedures won't even get you in the door of the best facilities in the country. Sorry I worked too hard to sit in a ward with 10 other people or an antiquated provincial hospital if I become ill.

Next some will tell you how Blue Cross came through for them. Well, they failed me. Tried to say I have a preexisting condition when the whole thing was pinched nerve - misdiagnosed by the incompetent doctors there who want to blame everything on "high blood" and any condition that comes close to resembling any symptom of a stroke is assumed to be a stroke to them. I have neither 'high blood' and certainly didn't have a stroke. This was over a 60,000 admission to the hospital (at the advice of the attending ER physician) and some routine tests. Hate to see how they would treat people with a 20,000,000 peso problem. For me, that's what I want/need insurance for - the big stuff, not the sniffles.

Based on my experience in the Philippines when the chips are down, you just can not depend on a Philippine insurance company. 

YMMV

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 2

Enuff

Most expats cannot even get insurance in the Philippines, if they have any preexisting even conditions such as high blood pressure and even if controlled by medication. Blue Cross will exempt those conditions and anything related to them, and Caritas will exempt them for one year but also limit the coverage for anything related to them.

If a person wants to have health insurance, then IMHO it is probably better to visit instead of live full time in the Philippines or take your chances and have a high limit credit card and a lot of cash on hand.

We often read of westerners dying in the Philippines, I would bet most had uncontrolled health issues because of lack of insurance. 

On a visit, how long is the travel health insurance good for?

If only staying 10 months a year could that be a substitute?

Lee

My understand is that it is for the length of a trip, below is what it covers

http://www.travelinsurancereview.net/beginners-guide/coverage/

https://www.travelguard.com/whybuy/faq.asp

Lee

Long Stay Travel Insurance

Travel medical insurance for a long international stay

Are you planning to travel abroad for a long period? Visiting relatives? Working abroad?Be sure to plan ahead with long stay travel insurance. Health care outside your home country can be very expensive-without proper insurance, a long-planned trip or stay abroad can turn into an extremely costly and frustrating experience.

It costs travelers thousands of dollars each year because they do not realize that their current health care plan provides little or no coverage for medical expenses outside their home country, even for visits to nearby countries.

For example, U.S. Medicare does not cover anyone traveling outside the U.S. Also, visitors to the U.S. are often shocked at the cost of U.S. medical care, and a family's savings can quickly be exhausted when a visitor experiences an unexpected illness or injury.

WorldMed Insurance ™ will provide you with long stay travel medical insurance coverage for up to 12 months. It provides insurance for Medical Expenses, Emergency Medical Evacuation, plus multilingual Emergency Assistance Services to help coordinate your emergency medical care and to keep in touch with your family back home.

Organized groups can choose from our wide range of group plans.

Lee

I should add, just like many insurances, preexisting conditions may be excluded, best to check with the insurance agency, the one I posted above this is for long stays. 

batman2525

Just wondering... why don't you guys use travel insurance which could evacuate and send you right back to first-world hospital for no additional charge?

What if you have a heart attack?

• Like 1

the.lone.gunman

What if you have a heart attack?

Great question. I hope someone can answer it.

Jawny

Great question. I hope someone can answer it.

If you have a heart attack you have to do a lot of hoping.

Hope the people around you recognize this is a medical emergency and know the principals of CPR.

Hope the place you are in has some sort of emergency response which is capable of dealing with a cardiac problem enroute to proper care.

Hope the driver and attendant (if there are in fact more than one involved) are actually trained in care for such medical situations.

Hope the response is with equipment and such to provide the immediate care a heart attack requires.

Hope that they traffic is not too great to delay the arrival at a proper medical facility.

Hope that the medical facility is equipped and staffed for cardiac emergencies.

Hope that you can be admitted to the facility.

Perhaps the last thing to hope for is insurance to pay for it all.

Without insurance, there will need to be cash payments (or credit card) to cover expenses. Even with insurance this may be necessary if the insurance is not known to the hospital.

Medevac is of little use in this situation, and many others. Pretty rare it is ever used is my guess. Aside from the costs, the availability of medevac equipped aircraft is slim. Again, just a guess on my part.

Best bet is to stay healthy. Keep away from eye candy.

• Like 4

enoonmai

Good advice and observations in post #27. Regardless of insurance carry plastic on your person. It may well save your life. And, of course, the usual misinformation about Blue Cross Philippines (now Pacific Cross) stated as fact. I have been a Blue Cross Phils customer for 5 years, their policy on preexisting conditions is no different from other carriers: Some claims may be denied as preexisting within the first year but after that, in general, they are covered thereafter. This was put on this forum as a statement in writing from the company several months ago, you can search for it if you want. I know several of the employees and managers in the BC Cebu City office and they have told me the same thing. Each claim is individually evaluated; any blanket statement like "they don't do this or that" should be taken with a grain of salt and that's the nicest way I can put it. Buy what you want or don’t buy any, I couldn’t care less. But this is an important topic - do your own due diligence.

• Like 1

Monsoon
Some claims may be denied as preexisting within the first year but after that, in general, they are covered thereafter.

So what you are saying is basically there is a one year exclusionary period when it comes to Blue Cross Philippines. That isn't insurance. And that is NOT specified in the contract documents.  I want insurance for the unforeseen catastrophic events. I believe I recall your story, you had an accident. That is pretty hard for BC to deny as being a preexisting condition. 

Their official exclusionary period is 30 days, but many who have had them and tried to file a claim their first year knows otherwise. 

I usually like getting what I pay for and expect companies to honor a contract. The silly thing about what BC did to me is they lost out on many years of subsequent business with zero claims. All over a small claim. My annual spend with them would have increased 2 1/2 times because of marriage and family.  I would have provided their coverage for employees, extended family etc. Another 50 times spend with them.  It is a perfect example of the typical Philippine myopic business philosophy. 

When I first signed up for them my wife (fiancé at the time) said "bola bola". My friend who I enjoy a few pints with at my local told me , "bola bola", actually, he said "scam". He is a multi millionaire De LaSalle educated Filipino businessman. Oh how right they were. Had they just proven themselves to me they would have had a loyal customer.

This was put on this forum as a statement in writing from the company several months ago, you can search for it if you want.

I don't believe that BC actually made a statement on the forum. An agent? Maybe. If you are talking about an independent agent, well they are NOT Blue Cross Philippines. If they are willing to make a statement about 'claims in the first year being denied' they should include that in their terms and conditions. 

How can someone have a 'pre existing condition' when they pass a complete and thorough executive physical both before and after said 'pre existing condition' is denied by them? What about after it is proven to be a mis-diagnosis? What happened to the pre-existing condition? The bottom line is, they didn't want to pay me for covered services. There is no other way it can be dressed. 

The reason I always respond to these threads with my experience is to avoid others having a false sense of security with BC Philippines. That $1,000,000 coverage they tout could give someone a false sense of security. 

Finally, one can get a higher max plan with a company like Allianz. I would much rather trust them  than any Philippine based company. What would your remedy be if you disagreed with their assessment? Death? At least in other venues you could expect a court to reasonably act and get an injunctive relief. 

Blue Cross Philippines is a gamble. More so than other international carriers. 

Edited by Monsoon

Kabisay-an gid

If you're referring to Pacific Cross (formerly Blue Cross PH), the Annual Travel Plan covers you for up to 90 days per trip (unlimited trips per year) for a fixed annual rate, whereas the Bon Voyage Travel Plan has a variable rate for a variable period (single trip) - up to 180 days maximum period of insurance.

Annual:

https://www.pacificcross-insurance.com/travel-annual.php

Bon Voyage:

https://www.pacificcross-insurance.com/travel-voyage.php