Sign in to follow this  
lamoe

Chicago temps highs and lows vs Cebu

lamoe

There is another thread about how hot it is there - didn't want to get dinged for posting this there

Most of you have probably heard about the weather extremes of Chicago - not the highest or lowest ever recorded on Earth but one of the most extreme differentials of any location

Looked them up these are actual temps not indexes

High  111 F   44 C

Low  -33 F    -36 C

Dif   144 F    80 C

These are the Indexes   http://ggweather.com/calc.htm

High @70% humidity  = 199 F  93 C  

Low at  30 MPH wind   = -71 F  - 57 C

Dif   229 F     150 C

Fergie

I'm I reading that right? the heat index in Chicago has been 199 F before? That seems impossible to me.

Kahuna

I'm I reading that right? the heat index in Chicago has been 199 F before? That seems impossible to me.

probably meant 109F but he'l pop back n and fix that I hope or I'l move to the North Pole to beat that kind of heat this summer.

• Like 1

lamoe

Nope  according to the site I posted 

111 F x 70% (average for Chicago  that time of year ) is  199

if 50% only 156  :db:   what a difference

Go to the site see for yourself

Kahuna

and that sounds about right to you?   Really?  

• Like 1

Fergie

There is no way

lamoe

and that sounds about right to you?   Really?  

Every been to Chicago in one of our real heat waves - the asphalt  melts

even at 30 % it's still  126 F

the lake adds a lot of humidity

Edited by lamoe

Fergie

I have been many times and 196F sounds unbelievable. when did that temp occur?

https://climateillinois.wordpress.com/2011/07/19/heat-index-extremes-for-illinois/

Heat Index Extremes for Illinois

Since heat and humidity is on everyone’s mind these days, I pulled out the record high heat index values that we calculated for the Illinois Climate Atlas from a few years ago.

For that analysis we looked at the few sites with long-term temperature and humidity records. Here is what we found for the highest heat index value at each site:

Chicago’s record is a heat index of 118 degrees on July 13, 1995 (temperature 100°F, relative humidity 50%)

Rockford’s record is a heat index of 119 degrees on July 13, 1995 (temperature 98°F, relative humidity 57%)

Peoria’s record is a heat index of 121 degrees on July 13, 1995 (temperature 99°F, relative humidity 53%)

Springfield’s record is a heat index of 118 on July 15, 1980 (temperature 98°F, relative humidity 56%)

St. Louis’s record is a heat index of 119 on July 13, 1995 (temperature of 100°F, relative humidity 51%)

As you may have noticed, most of the cities set their record during the deadly July 1995 heat wave. I included St. Louis because it is just across the river.

I have seen unofficial heat index values even higher from locations at smaller airports. Some of those sites have reported heat index values in the mid to upper 120s. However, we don’t normally use them for record keeping. For one thing the humidity sensor has a reputation of becoming unreliable at times. For another thing the archive of those observations extends back to 15 years or less at most sites.

118F sounds much more believable.

Edited by Fergie
  • Like 2

Alfred E. Neuman

Save on gas and go stone-grill dining at the sidewalk.

Kahuna

Water boils at 212F         I've lived in Illinois and worked here most of my adult life and 199F sounds more like a cool spot on Mercury than the Illinois I live in.   I don't believe it's correct.

Here's some perspective by comparison.

Jacuzzi temp info:

"To keep your good health, there are certain things you should know about maintaining the proper water temperature in your hot tub. The US Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends never allowing the temperature of the water in your hot tub to exceed 104ºF. Water temperatures over 110ºF have caused a number of deaths, according to their findings. They site that high water temperatures can cause drowsiness to occur that may lead to unconsciousness and drowning. The hot water will raise your body temperature, and thus your blood pressure, that may lead to heat stroke and death. They advise against pregnant women (since excessive water temperatures have a high potential for causing fetal damage during the early months of pregnancy) and young children (since their bodies do not get used to temperature changes as easily as adults do) using hot tubs before consulting a physician. Individuals suffering from obesity or having a medical history of heart disease, low or high blood pressure, circulatory system problems, or diabetes should also consult a physician before using a hot tub." 

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AwrBT.AnFzNXtoQAZ_FXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyaWNsNXR2BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwM0BHZ0aWQDQjIwNDZfMQRzZWMDc3I-?qid=20060723223634AAUVlXz&p=proper%20jacuzzi%20temps

Edited by Kahuna

lamoe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Chicago

I apologize  - didn't read the entire article - just glanced at graphs saw Chicago - Aurora is a city located on the border  of Chicago

The 111 F is accurate but for Aurora

Climate data for Chicago Aurora Municipal Airport, Illinois 1981–2010 normals

Month Jan            Feb       Mar       Apr         May          Jun           Jul              Aug         Sep         Oct         Nov         Dec          Year Record high °F (°C)

66 (19)       72(22)  83 (28)    93 (34)   104 (40)    106 (41)    111 (44)      105 (41)   103 (39)   90 (32)     81 (27)     69 (21)      111 (44)

109 F is the unofficial temp for inside the city boundaries and 105 F is the official - consider that there can be a 30 to 40 degree temp difference from the East side  near the  lake to the west  so there is no at any time that applies to the entire city.

The heat indexes were me using the calculator and different humidiities. 70% is avg for July.

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1

Kahuna

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Chicago

I apologize  - didn't read the entire article - just glanced at graphs saw Chicago - Aurora is a city located on the border  of Chicago

The 111 F is accurate but for Aurora

Climate data for Chicago Aurora Municipal Airport, Illinois 1981–2010 normals

Month Jan            Feb       Mar       Apr         May          Jun           Jul              Aug         Sep         Oct         Nov         Dec          Year Record high °F (°C)

66 (19)       72(22)  83 (28)    93 (34)   104 (40)    106 (41)    111 (44)      105 (41)   103 (39)   90 (32)     81 (27)     69 (21)      111 (44)

109 F is the unofficial temp for inside the city boundaries and 105 F is the official - consider that there can be a 30 to 40 degree temp difference from the East side  near the  lake to the west  so there is no at any time that applies to the entire city.

The heat indexes were me using the calculator and different humidiities. 70% is avg for July.

you're welcome    :)