Sign in to follow this  
questsea73

bus trip Cagayan de Oro to Dipolog(Mindanao)/hotel there

questsea73

A few days ago I took the air con bus from Cagayan de Oro to Dipolog  in northern Mindanao.  I found some info on internet and hoped in vain it was correct.

Rural Transit was the bus line on the route.  I went to Bulua Westbound Bus Terminal at 7:30 am expecting a bus to Dipolog within 30 minutes.  2 and 1/2 hours later two Dipolog buses pulled in, one of them a/c.  10:30 we left.  9 1/2 hours later we arrived.  Internet said 6 hrs 15 for trip....possibly meaning route bypassing Ozamiz City.  Route they took with me was via Mukka(???spelling) ferryboat/barge crossing west to Ozamiz Port Area.  20 pesos ferry fare.  Many stops, notably Iligan City, Ozamiz, Oroquieta, Dapitan.  Lot of road construction, apparently because of election year. One way fare was 450 pesos.  One 30 minute stop for lunch.

Coming back was 10 hours.

I stayed at C & L Sea View Hotel,  Quezon Street, 4th floor, 2011 build, 1200 pesos for very nice room labeled matrimonial.  Decent 6th floor rooftop restaurant, Fri/Sat nights a live band, indoor pool, good service, on main street but no street noise in room, 20 pesos motorella from bus terminal, good breakfast included in price.. I recommend hotel which I booked on AsiaTravel site on internet.  My detailed review is on traveladvisor.

Buses departed back to Cagayan from 9 am through 2 pm hourly.  Actually several more departed from midnight onward but I didn't want to try to sleep on bus when room paid for.

The mall in town is Lee Plaza, 1/2 block from this hotel and across the street.

Ken

• Like 3

shadow

A few days ago I took the air con bus from Cagayan de Oro to Dipolog  in northern Mindanao.  I found some info on internet and hoped in vain it was correct.

Rural Transit was the bus line on the route.  I went to Bulua Westbound Bus Terminal at 7:30 am expecting a bus to Dipolog within 30 minutes.  2 and 1/2 hours later two Dipolog buses pulled in, one of them a/c.  10:30 we left.  9 1/2 hours later we arrived.  Internet said 6 hrs 15 for trip....possibly meaning route bypassing Ozamiz City.  Route they took with me was via Mukka(???spelling) ferryboat/barge crossing west to Ozamiz Port Area.  20 pesos ferry fare.  Many stops, notably Iligan City, Ozamiz, Oroquieta, Dapitan.  Lot of road construction, apparently because of election year. One way fare was 450 pesos.  One 30 minute stop for lunch.

Coming back was 10 hours.

I stayed at C & L Sea View Hotel,  Quezon Street, 4th floor, 2011 build, 1200 pesos for very nice room labeled matrimonial.  Decent 6th floor rooftop restaurant, Fri/Sat nights a live band, indoor pool, good service, on main street but no street noise in room, 20 pesos motorella from bus terminal, good breakfast included in price.. I recommend hotel which I booked on AsiaTravel site on internet.  My detailed review is on traveladvisor.

Buses departed back to Cagayan from 9 am through 2 pm hourly.  Actually several more departed from midnight onward but I didn't want to try to sleep on bus when room paid for.

The mall in town is Lee Plaza, 1/2 block from this hotel and across the street.

Ken

We've taken that trip several times. Miserable trip. Never again.

oscarpears

Recently i left Cagayan de Oro by bus heading in the other direction, Gingoog, Buthan, and Bislig. I stopped off in Gingoog City for the night and it surprised me. The city was clean and pleasant and resembled a very prosperous small town in Panay. I am embarrassed to say that I never made it to Bislig, I aborted the journey in Butan because I found the bus, not only uncomfortable but very scary. It travelled much too fast for the state and scope of the road, and there are, in my opinion, only so many times you can overtake on a blind bend, before you meet a truck coming opposite, engaged in the same manoeuvre. I would be much happier to pay twice the price for a coach that wasn't driven by a frustrated formula one driver,

• Like 2

Raven

Lot of road construction,

Maybe more like road widening 'cos of the proposed PANGUIL BAY BRIDGE

incheon_bridge-620x300.jpg

http://tankler.com/ph-south-korea-sign-deal-for-world-class-bridge-in-mindanao-5384#

Recently i left Cagayan de Oro by bus heading in the other direction, Gingoog, Buthan, and Bislig. I stopped off in Gingoog City for the night and it surprised me. The city was clean and pleasant and resembled a very prosperous small town in Panay. I am embarrassed to say that I never made it to Bislig, I aborted the journey in Butan because I found the bus, not only uncomfortable but very scary. It travelled much too fast for the state and scope of the road, and there are, in my opinion, only so many times you can overtake on a blind bend, before you meet a truck coming opposite, engaged in the same manoeuvre. I would be much happier to pay twice the price for a coach that wasn't driven by a frustrated formula one driver,

How much is the bus fare from CdO to Bislig? And what is estimated travel time?

BossHog
  How much is the bus fare from CdO to Bislig?

that's a long haul; would estimate 12-plus hours. bus fare maybe 600-700 pacers that route.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 3

shadow

that's a long haul; would estimate 12-plus hours. bus fare maybe 600-700 pacers that route.

It's been a few years since we were in Bislig, but that was a very grueling ride. The last six hours were very rough road, 20 kph, huge potholes, bus rocking...

If I had to go to Bislig again, I wouldn't. Nothing there but lots of scammers (was scammer hotspot several years ago).

• Like 2

Raven

Personally I would not take a bus that far. Same goes for Dipolog as OP describe. I have some guest here in CdO, asking (they like to visit Tinuy-an Falls & Enchanted River) and it's better to get a report from someone that have done the trip, specially about road conditions. I will suggest them to use a Van instead.

Salty Dog

I've taken the bus between Manila and Sorsogon several times. It's also a 12 hour trip with a portion of the route going though the mountains where there was always road construction. The best part was that about 10 hours of my trip was always at night so I couldn't see how crazy the driving was. Only took the non-aircon bus once because we were bringing a couple of Pinoy dogs with us. The rest of the time I paid a few hundred extra for a nice aircon bus. I always purchased all three seats for the two of us. I think it was still only P800 per seat.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Raven

post-14558-0-08177100-1462499501_thumb.jpg

The proposed bridge will be a bit south of Ozamiz City, in Tangub.

Not sure if it will be faster, but at least no ferry going there.

• Like 2

Soupeod

It would be nice if you could mapquest the route for us. thanks! 

oscarpears

Personally I would not take a bus that far. Same goes for Dipolog as OP describe. I have some guest here in CdO, asking (they like to visit Tinuy-an Falls & Enchanted River) and it's better to get a report from someone that have done the trip, specially about road conditions. I will suggest them to use a Van instead.

I have taken a van from Bislig to Surigao City and I didn't enjoy the experience. Again the van, eager to make as much money as possible, travelled at speeds way beyond those that were safe. There were no seatbelts and to maximise profits we were crammed in so tight that for a good part of the journey I had an elderly lady and a fat man sitting on each knee. I think the air-con bus is best, a little slower, but safer, more comfortable and you also get to see the scenery.

• Like 3

mello874

Well that is a nice looking Bridge showing Ozamiz City on the right, if you want to cross to the city you will still do it at mukas. To take this bridge you will go to the Tubod pier and cross to Tangub City make a right back to Ozamiz City or to Molave the other way. This Bridge will be a straight shot.

questsea73

OP says:  in 2014 I took a/c bus from Butuan to Bislig.  Almost 5 hours and road was so bad I was not sure I was going to be able to get off bus within 10 minutes time(70 year old back).  Don't recall the fare.  Bus lines seem in my opinion to charge something like 110-120 pesos for 2 hours trip(Davao City to Tagum City) which I took several times in 2013.  My almost 10 hour trip to Dipolog was almost 500 pesos so you can reasonably estimate from those figures.  Non-a/c is much, much less.  Actually with the windows down on non-a/c bus it can be quite cool in the ride, but seats are 3 x 3 per row and too small for me(190 lbs).  Also this type bus tends to be packed with many standup passengers so getting on or getting off(and maybe losing seat) at stops is a game to lose for foreigners.  Bislig as I was told had a big factory(wood processing) shut down some years ago and left many, many unemployed...hence many poorer family just scraping by....which does lend itself to a disproportionate number of gals listing themselves on C Blossoms and probably other intro sites.  Actually, yes, quite a bit of the construction was in widening road here and there rather than pothole/crack repair attempts on concrete. 

Note: a tip for ferry riders at Mukka...probably everywhere here:  I did not keep an eagle eye on my bus and just loaded myself on ferry assuming bus was going to be on same ferry.  On the ferry deck 2 I can not see bus on deck 1....horrors.  Guard at Ozamiz side said bus should be on next ferry.  About 25 minutes later it was.  SOP is passengers load onto bus before it reaches shore so driver can drive right off and continue onward.  Of course, if ferry sinks in last 5 minutes of so of voyage it is sayonara to most passengers on bus.  Anyway, guard let me board ferry just after gangplank went down and I dodged motorcyclists zipping off barge to board bus.  A lady and child had boarded and took my seat.  They were kind enough to go to the back of the bus and share a seat with someone else.  I would never have made the rest of the trip of 4 hrs standing if no other seats became available.

• Like 1

shadow

OP says:  in 2014 I took a/c bus from Butuan to Bislig.  Almost 5 hours and road was so bad I was not sure I was going to be able to get off bus within 10 minutes time(70 year old back).  Don't recall the fare.  Bus lines seem in my opinion to charge something like 110-120 pesos for 2 hours trip(Davao City to Tagum City) which I took several times in 2013.  My almost 10 hour trip to Dipolog was almost 500 pesos so you can reasonably estimate from those figures.  Non-a/c is much, much less.  Actually with the windows down on non-a/c bus it can be quite cool in the ride, but seats are 3 x 3 per row and too small for me(190 lbs).  Also this type bus tends to be packed with many standup passengers so getting on or getting off(and maybe losing seat) at stops is a game to lose for foreigners.  Bislig as I was told had a big factory(wood processing) shut down some years ago and left many, many unemployed...hence many poorer family just scraping by....which does lend itself to a disproportionate number of gals listing themselves on C Blossoms and probably other intro sites.  Actually, yes, quite a bit of the construction was in widening road here and there rather than pothole/crack repair attempts on concrete. 

Note: a tip for ferry riders at Mukka...probably everywhere here:  I did not keep an eagle eye on my bus and just loaded myself on ferry assuming bus was going to be on same ferry.  On the ferry deck 2 I can not see bus on deck 1....horrors.  Guard at Ozamiz side said bus should be on next ferry.  About 25 minutes later it was.  SOP is passengers load onto bus before it reaches shore so driver can drive right off and continue onward.  Of course, if ferry sinks in last 5 minutes of so of voyage it is sayonara to most passengers on bus.  Anyway, guard let me board ferry just after gangplank went down and I dodged motorcyclists zipping off barge to board bus.  A lady and child had boarded and took my seat.  They were kind enough to go to the back of the bus and share a seat with someone else.  I would never have made the rest of the trip of 4 hrs standing if no other seats became available.

As for bus fares, if you figure 1.5 Pesos per km for AC, and P1.0 per km for non AC, you will usually be pretty close.

There was more than once we took the ferry across at Ozamis, and got on a different (earlier) bus, gaining 30 minutes at least.