Sign in to follow this  
rep1

Philippine credit card?

TheWhiteKnight

Also some of the airlines had issues with foreign cards, I remember it being nearly impossible to get an approval from Cebu Pathetic's website, or having to wait days before your ticket was issued. That seems to have changed, but at the time I needed a solution. Debit cards are less desirable due to security issues. My PH cards have dual currency so local stuff appears on a statement in Peso and any foreign stuff on a statement in USD. For me that is a nice convenience. 

I prefer to use PayPal to my no ForEx fee Credit Card for Cebu Pacific. Their shitty website can really get all confused when using my card directly. I think they have improved a bit though. But I like PayPal cuz they almost always side with with buyer anyway and no revealing anything.

Monsoon

But I like PayPal cuz they almost always side with with buyer anyway and no revealing anything.

I despise paypal. Particularly their secret 'review process' where the merchant's responses to your dispute are kept secret from you. I only use them as a last resort for Ebay stuff. 

rep1

never had problem with Cebu Pacific. ANZ would call me after repeated rejections but that's it. Does Paypal charge higher transaction fee?

TheWhiteKnight

never had problem with Cebu Pacific. ANZ would call me after repeated rejections but that's it. Does Paypal charge higher transaction fee?

The charge is the same on my end, don't know what Cebu Pac pays.

SkyMan

Not a concern if you pay your bill on time, and in full.

but why interest from the date of purchase?? shouldn't interest only occur after you fail to pay the bill in full?
Maybe not true of all local CC but I no that some charge interest from the date of purchase.

az09

I'm not sure I agree. I find that credit cards provide far more protection than debit cards. I think you will find the same if you dig into that. So how do you control absolute max loss? By keeping the balance low on your debit card? That wouldn't work too well for a frequent traveler or someone who has a lot of monthly expenses.

I was talking about prepaid cards, not credit or debit cards. I control max loss by keeping the balance low, yes. Anytime I need more money on my prepaid card I open my BPI app and press a couple of buttons to instantly load it.

Monsoon

Maybe not true of all local CC but I no that some charge interest from the date of purchase.

That would be the one to avoid then! 

musicman666

The local card is the one where they ring you twice daily to remind you that you haven't paid off your outstanding ...even if it's like twenty pesos.

• Like 1

Monsoon

The local card is the one where they ring you twice daily to remind you that you haven't paid off your outstanding ...even if it's like twenty pesos.

The only time I received any call regarding my credit card is to inform me they need to replace it since it was used at a location where fraud was detected.

Jawny

I experienced a good news, bad news situation with a credit card issued from Metrobank. A kind of catch 22, with no easy recourse.

I made an online purchase using the card recently. Within a few minutes, I realized I had ordered the incorrect item (it was software). I was fortunate to be able to reach a customer service person, a human, who took the time to correct the mistake I made. Within an hour or so, I was promised a credit and the purchase was then made again for the correct software.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that I get credited, but not in full.

The bank has a fee added (2.5%) to purchases involving foreign currencies. It's clearly stated, albeit seems unfair since the purchase was all done in pesos. Even so, I have grown to expect the additional cost. Well, the fee was added for each of the purchases. It was a small amount, ₽50 or so for each transaction. However, the credit was applied against the basic charge, no credit for the fee.

I know I can pursue this and perhaps get the credit. Not worth it to me.

But, this is an indication of how using a credit card here is not as customer friendly as in other countries.

musicman666

The only time I received any call regarding my credit card is to inform me they need to replace it since it was used at a location where fraud was detected.

Well my wife's one is bdo. ....I tried on a few occasions to explain to them that if it's not fully paid off then the bank then gets paid interest which is more profit for the bank ....but they didn't somehow understand the concept.

rep1

The charge is the same on my end, don't know what Cebu Pac pays.

I just noticed their foreign exchange rate is very bad!

GBP to TWD:

> 43.727 by paypal

> 42.557 by visa (bank sell rate is 42.63)

Oz Jon

Basic Requirements (Application form attached with a lot more questions to fill in)

Gee!

They really want your business, don't they?

You can get a real, internationally recognised credit card for real currency at a lot lower interest rate and far fewer questions in most civilised countries.

Edited by Oz Jon

rep1

But better offer? Our cards were said to have reduced offers since the market cooled down a decade ago, most remaining perks are for drivers; and Citi Prestige cost over 30k annually (only 12k here!). I checked HK's too and they're even worse.

Jawny

But better offer? Our cards were said to have reduced offers since the market cooled down a decade ago, most remaining perks are for drivers; and Citi Prestige cost over 30k annually (only 12k here!). I checked HK's too and they're even worse.

What is meant by "our cards"?