Sign in to follow this  
rep1

Philippine credit card?

Lee

What about fraud / consumer protection? Anyone ever had the issue in Philippines? Or maybe I should just choose American banks?

Get a cash back or free to use American credit card, that way you can make money on purchases here just like in the US. I have the Fidelity cash back card, so they give me 2% and they charge 1% to use it here, still a win. The money I make on that card gets deposited into my investment account and I use that to buy some stocks that I probably would not have bought otherwise, such as CALL which is Magic Jack stock, I bought some last year at under $7 and sold it when it reached over $10 but unfortunately missed the high by a little, paid for our trip over this year.  

Davaoeno

Worthy benefits?

I find that the biggest benefit is that I can go into places and put the charge on my credit card .  I never could do that when I didnt have one .

• Like 4

KennyF

Is a debit card no good?

I opened an account with PNB and without asking was given a PNB ATM card and a PNB Master Card.

KonC 

NOSOCALPINOY

With a Philippine credit card you can get cash advance from a teller and or bank manager if their ATM is off line, but not with a U.S. credit card. That's convenient when your regular RP or U.S. bank accounts has insufficient funds to withdraw from.

Edited by NOSOCALPINOY

rep1

Is a debit card no good?

I opened an account with PNB and without asking was given a PNB ATM card and a PNB Master Card.

I read that a debit card is far more risky because whenever your card is used, that part of money is held on reserve and practically frozen until it can be cleared, contrast to a credit card when you only pay when it's confirmed, verified and then admitted by you (implicitly) after a month - it's the banks who have to take full risk of fraud.

Edited by aqd

TheWhiteKnight

Why not a pre-paid visa card ? http://www.bpicards.com/Cards/PrepaidDetails/50

Truthfully I don't have much use for it, I used to just use it to buy cheap spotify but they take BPI direct payments now.

I've never really found a place that won't take an foreign card yet, some even consider it a cash payment as far as discounts are concerned (instead of installments on a pinoy card).

There are no protections with PH CC's, you will be held responsible for all charges until you call to have the card cancelled.

KennyF

I'm going to check this out prior to my trip to Cambodia.

Anyone tried it?

KonC

Amore Visa Prepaid

Enjoy and share instant perks, discounts from partner merchants, and exclusive freebies with BPI – Ayala Malls Amore Visa Prepaid.

Amore Visa Prepaid is a 100% approved Visa prepaid card everyone in the Barkada can get. Load it to shop and dine wherever Visa is accepted online and in stores worldwide. Get one now for you and your Barkada!

Features

• 100% Application Approval. Get a card instantly for you and your Barkada at select Ayala Malls Concierge
  • Use wherever VISA is accepted – online and in stores here and abroad.
  • Load up to P100,000 through BPI 24/7 Channels
  • No hassles. No hidden charges. No loading fees. No maintaining balance.
  • One-time fee of PHP350
  • Valid for 2 years
  • 365 days of AmoRewards for you and your Barkada
    1. Your AmoRewards
  • Get unlimited customer lounge access when you apply
  • Get free popcorn from Ayala Cinemas Movie Snackbar or large fries from Potato Corner when you shop anywhere
  • Awesome discounts at partner stores
    2. You and Your Barkada's AmoRewards
  • Get unlimited customer lounge access. Just show your Amore Visa Prepaid card
  • Get 4 free movie passes when you apply at Ayala Malls as a Barkada of 4
  • Get free tera fries from Potato Corner you shop anywhere as a Barkada
Edited by KennyF

TheWhiteKnight

I'm going to check this out prior to my trip to Cambodia.

Anyone tried it?

KonC

Amore Visa Prepaid

Enjoy and share instant perks, discounts from partner merchants, and exclusive freebies with BPI – Ayala Malls Amore Visa Prepaid.

Amore Visa Prepaid is a 100% approved Visa prepaid card everyone in the Barkada can get. Load it to shop and dine wherever Visa is accepted online and in stores worldwide. Get one now for you and your Barkada!

Features

• 100% Application Approval. Get a card instantly for you and your Barkada at select Ayala Malls Concierge
  • Use wherever VISA is accepted – online and in stores here and abroad.
  • Load up to P100,000 through BPI 24/7 Channels
  • No hassles. No hidden charges. No loading fees. No maintaining balance.
  • One-time fee of PHP350
  • Valid for 2 years
  • 365 days of AmoRewards for you and your Barkada

1. Your AmoRewards

• Get unlimited customer lounge access when you apply
  • Get free popcorn from Ayala Cinemas Movie Snackbar or large fries from Potato Corner when you shop anywhere
  • Awesome discounts at partner stores

2. You and Your Barkada's AmoRewards

• Get unlimited customer lounge access. Just show your Amore Visa Prepaid card
  • Get 4 free movie passes when you apply at Ayala Malls as a Barkada of 4
  • Get free tera fries from Potato Corner you shop anywhere as a Barkada

Never used it abroad, but looks like it will work fine, not sure how much they take on the conversion. If they are nice it's only the 1% VISA charge. I load it from my BPI mobile app right before I use it (rarely in a store right before checking out).

miles-high

My wife has a BDO CC/Prestige Card that can be used to go to the prestige line (or whatever it is called) at any SM...

rep1

so the customer lounge in Ayala mall is actually for their credit card users?! Do they have free food inside?

TheWhiteKnight

so the customer lounge in Ayala mall is actually for their credit card users?! Do they have free food inside?

I dont know but they have a clean bathroom you can feel better taking a shit in if you have to.

• Like 4

delancey

I dont know but they have a clean bathroom you can feel better taking a shit in if you have to.

And if that was the only thing a person ever took away from this website, they'd still be ahead.

• Like 4

rep1

same reason as debit card - less protection, money on held when unconfirmed.

--

while searching for cheaper priority pass, I found something:

Citi Prestige: annual fee P12,000

That card is $450 in USA and $750 in Taiwan, but in PH it's cheaper than the cost of lounge access it offers!

Unbelievable... But then citi really have zero protection here except an insurance program for P895 / year.

Edited by aqd

Monsoon

Is a debit card no good?

KonC 

I rarely carry or use my Philippine ATM/Debit cards and when I do it is ONLY at ATM machines to get cash, never for purchases. The consumer protections in the Philippines are dismal, at least with a credit card I have the choice of not settling the bill while a dispute is in progress - with a debit card they already have your money so you start off the battle quite disadvantaged. I don't imagine a good fraud session with a Philippine debit card would end very well for the consumer. 

• Like 1

delancey

I rarely carry or use my Philippine ATM/Debit cards and when I do it is ONLY at ATM machines to get cash, never for purchases. The consumer protections in the Philippines are dismal, at least with a credit card I have the choice of not settling the bill while a dispute is in progress - with a debit card they already have your money so you start off the battle quite disadvantaged. I don't imagine a good fraud session with a Philippine debit card would end very well for the consumer.

Same here. ATM only. Dismal says it all.

• Like 1