British tourist beaten on the streets of Thailand

mikewright

Good to see that the Thai police were able to make quick arrests.

I dont know how anyone could not intervene whilst an elderly woman is getting brutally assaulted, the spectators were also a bunch of cowards.

• Like 3
RFulmer
I dont know how anyone could not intervene whilst an elderly woman is getting brutally assaulted, the spectators were also a bunch of cowards.

you will after you travel more. SE Asia is not like the west although it can be much more wild.

Always expect the unexpected and travel, walk, talk carefully wherever you go, day and night.

Edited by RFulmer

Pretty brutal ending, but could have been avoided by exiting stage left after the first push rather than hanging around

• Like 3
ROCO22

At first viewing, I was pretty pissed off (still am), but there is a chance the family escalated this themselves.  

It didn't look like the agitated drunk meant to push the Guy down. Past that, everything is reasonably calm, and then the woman slaps the guy and it only gets worse from there.  They had a chance to get out of there with a minor altercation.   Terrible, but a good reminder of why you can't start a fight in the midst of drunken locals like this. It is not going to turn out well.

Yep, walk away, walk away, walk away.....

samatm

Pretty brutal ending, but could have been avoided by exiting stage left after the first push rather than hanging around

EGGGGGSZACTLY.....  the old Battleaxe confronted the drunk with malice rather than attending to her fallen son.   She was in for a fight too....   To many Mai Tai's 

agent17

The guy that pushed the son down was arguing with another Thai before he picks a fight with the foreigner 

He was also holding a big beer bottle.  He was already angry and holding a beer bottle, before he bumped into the white guy.  It started when the woman got on his face and slapped him.  I'm sure she could smell the alcohol on him.

Edited by agent17
Kabisay-an gid

After the son first got pushed down, the Brits should've made like horse$#!+ and hit the trail, i.e. kept their mouths shut and left the area immediately. The mother senselessly escalated the situation. I'm not defending the attackers, hopefully they're punished to the fullest extent of the law.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
bkkmarlowe

Elderly? They are only 65 years old.... boomers generation and proud of it... hehe...

lijaceybupee

All four of them got 2 years in prison with no parole.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/four-prison-british-familys-videotaped-assault-thailand/

Finally, some justice given. These thugs just have no respect especially for the elderly. Clearly they're not thinking how this would affect tourism since it would give a bad reflection of their society. They should've given them more years IMO.

Kabisay-an gid

Finally, some justice given. These thugs just have no respect especially for the elderly. Clearly they're not thinking how this would affect tourism since it would give a bad reflection of their society. They should've given them more years IMO.

I'm glad they went to prison, and hopefully the British mother has learned to keep her mouth shut and not slap drunks in the face on crowded streets in foreign countries with lots of impoverished people.

agent17

Justice is swift in Thailand.  It took only one month.