Sign in to follow this  
littlejohn

Bohol inexpensive trip?

littlejohn

LOL, and you think Alona Beach and/or a pension house is private? Nuts Huts is where we go on Bohol to get away from people.

Well its difficult to have 'alone time' with the wife with amakan walls she is always paranoid of someone hearing us. Was really hoping someone would recommend something really off the beaten path like a private beach. The idea of a place by the waterfall is great just need a bit more privacy in the room.

• Like 1

shadow

Well its difficult to have 'alone time' with the wife with amakan walls she is always paranoid of someone hearing us. Was really hoping someone would recommend something really off the beaten path like a private beach. The idea of a place by the waterfall is great just need a bit more privacy in the room.

Most of the times when we go there, we are the only guests.

• Like 1

Davaoeno

dumaguete better IMO,,i go there again 2moro

its a very long commute each day to the chocolate hills.    He says the wife wants to see the chocolate hills so you direct him to Dumaguete ?

• Like 1

woodchopper

its a very long commute each day to the chocolate hills.    He says the wife wants to see the chocolate hills so you direct him to Dumaguete ?

he allready nominated he been duma b4

SumDumJoe

http://www.panglao-chocolatehillsresort.com/index.php

This place lists their bungalows at 2500 Php, but there is a big sign in front of the resort offering a 50% discount for walk ins. You may be able to negotiate a much lower price than listed on their website. It is in a very private spot near the public beach in Libaong on Panglao Island. The place looks really nice and should be quiet as there is very little else around it. 

The only down side is that there is not much to eat around there with in walking distance making a motor bike rental almost necessary. There are lots of motorcycle rental places all around. 

• Like 2

BoholoX

Take a minivan tour to the chocolate hills, it's a long ass numbing ride on the typical Honda XRM rental bike and a struggle if two up on the road from Loboc

• Like 2

Kabisay-an gid
The only down side is that there is not much to eat around there with in walking distance making a motor bike rental almost necessary. There are lots of motorcycle rental places all around.

There are some reasonably priced resorts that include use of a motorbike during your entire stay for no extra charge.

T.S.

Just be careful around the pier for thieves is what the locals warned me.

Most of them will be offering you an overpriced ride...

• Like 1

Derick

A good  indicator in determining the quality of W Fi, at a resort is how quick the site loads just my 2 cents worth.

But remember the Philippines is a 3 world country.

Enuff

Most of them will be offering you an overpriced ride...

If you come out of the pier early enough a p500 ride to alona can turn into a p200 ride once all the others have left, you just have to wait them out

it also helps to be prepared to take a trike for p200 as well.

• Like 2

liquido

Take a minivan tour to the chocolate hills, it's a long ass numbing ride on the typical Honda XRM rental bike and a struggle if two up on the road from Loboc

Boholox is right about that..I lived in tagbilaran for 3 years and did the motorbike thing to the chocolate hills..I know your doing it for the wife but after 5 mins you will be bored after arriving at the chocolate hills.with nothing else to do there..Maybe the minivan will stop in loboc for the lunch or dinner cruise...I do not want to comment on the food because i never did the cruise but from what I hear its not very good...then the van will stop at a tourist store where you can buy Kalamay thats thicker than tar,very sweet with no flavor...I think they ripped off a Chinese candy called tikoy which is far better IMHO..... ...

Edited by liquido

T.S.

If you come out of the pier early enough a p500 ride to alona can turn into a p200 ride once all the others have left, you just have to wait them out

it also helps to be prepared to take a trike for p200 as well.

I think we got a trike for p150 last time and a habal-habal for p150 on the way back.

• Like 1

liquido

I think we got a trike for p150 last time and a habal-habal for p150 on the way back.

Going from the pier to Alona Beach is a long brutal ride in a tricycle..I know there is not much choice...whenever the new airport opens in Panglao things will change ..

• Like 1

SumDumJoe

I learned something from a friend of mine a few days ago. 

All tricycles here are supposed to have numbers on them.

If the tricycle has 4 digits it is from Tagbilaran City.

It the tricycle has 3 digits it is from Panglao.

That means depending on which way you are headed and where the tricycle is, you can negotiate a lower fare. 

And I agree with taking a van tour versus riding a scooter unless you are used to long trips. The vans are a little expensive but it makes the trip easy and relaxing. 

I like the Loboc river cruise and have had good luck with the food. There are a bunch of different boats run by different companies. It's a lottery as to which boat you get. I also really enjoy the butterfly sanctuary. Makes for a nice 30 minute walk to get out and stretch your legs a bit. The Tarsiers are also pretty cool to see. If you are into photography, I would make a stop at the Loboc Eco Tourism Adventure center. Really nice vista from the main club house that has been built there. They also have a cable car and zip lines if you are into that sort of thing. 

The van tours usually go for 1500 to 2500 pesos. 

Edit: I forgot to add in Mag Aso Falls. Makes for some nice pictures if the driver will take you there. There are around 200 steps though and some of them are just cut into the dirt because some of the concrete steps were broken during the earthquake. 

Edited by SumDumJoe
  • Like 1

T.S.

Going from the pier to Alona Beach is a long brutal ride in a tricycle..I know there is not much choice...whenever the new airport opens in Panglao things will change ..

That will be a much shorter ride, but I am picturing drivers still trying to charge the same prices as they do from the pier currently.