Balikbayan box pilfered

TheWhiteKnight

Wow, that was 6 years ago. You are testing my memory big time. I do recall it was like 40 different items missing. The most expensive was my laptop. Other things like good tableware, a basic set of  quality hand tools,  many nice shoes, kitchen utensils, and so on. According to the wife all things that are hard or impossible to come by in Dumaguete. I would say 60% of our stuff was stolen. It was NOT a fun introduction to life in the Philippines. I have a complete list of the missing items somewhere, but I don't feel like searching for it unless there is a real good reason.

Why do you ask anyhow ?  Just curious.

No I don't need a complete list I was just wondering if you had really valuable stuff in there, I personally wouldn't ship a laptop in there. You probably would have been advised not to by the guys here. My boxes do get up there in price though, so I still worry but a laptop is just begging for someone to open the box. Guess we just gotta cross our fingers while here, it's so nice to get a resupply from the US from time to time tho. If I lost 60% of my items I'd probably not ship again too, can't blame you.

• Like 1
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheWhiteKnight

• RedRanger

• State Trooper

• AlwaysRt

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've never had a problem, but I always use LBC.  They seem to do a very good job.  Best of luck to you, was it insured?

I've always only used LBC, they have me sign across the seal they put on the box. Then they continue to tape the hell out of it. 

Over the years we have received many BB boxes from family in St Louis, MO usually we get 2 or 3 per year. Last week we received one that had been pilfered. There was no stamps or tape to indicate that

TheWhiteKnight

BTW the box I had opened was sealed back with the US customs tape, they didn't take care to put things back properly, condoms dumped all over (had a shitload in a back pack, probably what made it look suspect haha).

SkyMan

Over the years I've had about 12 boxes delivered with no problems.  Hope the trend continues. 

Lordblacknail

When we arrived here in 2011, we shipped 63 boxes via LBC before we left. If I had it to do over again, I would have shipped 20.

TheWhiteKnight

When we arrived here in 2011, we shipped 63 boxes via LBC before we left. If I had it to do over again, I would have shipped 20.

Why only 20?

bounder

Honestly, I never had anything missing from a BB.  Apart from the inspection by Customs that one time, I have had three laptops, two cameras, two Blu-Ray DVD players and assorted other gadgetry shipped without a hitch.  Knock on wood that is. All total, I suppose I have received about twenty some boxes in over five years.

The only real problem I have encountered with delivery is the company that I use can never keep a subcontractor in Negros Occidental.  They have gone through at least five different delivery services since my arrival here.  Most of them complain that i am just too far away to bother with....one time, the subcontractor actually delivered one of my boxes via Ceres Liner! The agent rode in the bus and took a trike here with the BB...he also told me that they would not be delivering any more boxes to me.  The perks of living in the PH.

• Like 1
Jester

Majarocon in St Louis. My father sends the boxes to us and he is nearly 80 so I dont ask him to go into the city to find a new shipper. This outfit is near him in West County.

Box was insured for $100 but we have never had a problem before. I actually think it was the local courier service that Majarocon uses but Im still upset that Majarocon wont respond to us. Items stolen were not expensive but were intended for the children, things like new school book bags and clothing that he picked out for them. Kids are disappointed  :sad_01:

However with future boxes we will use a tamper indicator tape so if its opened I will know as my father always sends us a contents list via email. I will then open the box with the delivery person present.

If I had an 80 year old father I would not send him out traipsing around looking for a different service either.   I would accept the pilfering as part of the price of having him do it and living in paradise and try to be happy that you got most of the contents.

Even if you open a box in front of the delivery person and it has been pilfered, whats he gonna do/ Very sorry sir!

Would I be happy about it, hell no, but watcha gonna do?  

I am in SW FL and there is no official LBC here. it is a  LBC connection not associated with any Asian store or business.  The LBC agent comes to the house and pick's up the box's and takes them to her house where they are picked up by LBC.    The LBC agent is an old Philipina who manhandles the box's into her van and stores them in her garage. What could go wrong?   She is an authorized agent of LBC.

RedRanger

I've never had a problem, but I always use LBC.  They seem to do a very good job.  Best of luck to you, was it insured?

LBC very limited, most of USA doesn't have access to LBC

RedRanger

I have sent about 12 boxes over the year, so for so good.

If it took 5 months, then sounds like it got lost in transportation and no telling where it went or whose hands it got into.  Heck they may have opened the box to see what was inside of it.

I wouldn't let and isolated event concern me too much...........

• Administrator
Salty Dog

My philosophy with BB boxes is only send stuff you're not afraid to lose...

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

• Like 1
smokey

i used Starkargo to ship 23 boxes and a sweet 55 inch smart TV from costco that cost me 850 us and sells here for 93,000 peso ... cost to ship TV 175 dollars

RedRanger

i used Starkargo to ship 23 boxes and a sweet 55 inch smart TV from costco that cost me 850 us and sells here for 93,000 peso ... cost to ship TV 175 dollars

Quesiton

I assume TV was shipped in non standard balikbayan box?

• Like 1
TheWhiteKnight

If I had an 80 year old father I would not send him out traipsing around looking for a different service either.   I would accept the pilfering as part of the price of having him do it and living in paradise and try to be happy that you got most of the contents.

Even if you open a box in front of the delivery person and it has been pilfered, whats he gonna do/ Very sorry sir!

Would I be happy about it, hell no, but watcha gonna do?  

I am in SW FL and there is no official LBC here. it is a  LBC connection not associated with any Asian store or business.  The LBC agent comes to the house and pick's up the box's and takes them to her house where they are picked up by LBC.    The LBC agent is an old Philipina who manhandles the box's into her van and stores them in her garage. What could go wrong?   She is an authorized agent of LBC.

That's how my UMAC boxes are run. That could either be a good thing, and safer, or a bad thing, but so far it's been a good thing. The guy jokes that we are wasting our money because they aren't back breaking heavy haha.

contraman

Quesiton

Or dismantled :yahoo:

smokey

Quesiton

did not even unpack it from Costco just wrapped tape around it and printed the address   price was based on size of unit... square inches

Edited by smokey