Sign in to follow this  
State Trooper

Balikbayan box pilfered

State Trooper

Over the years we have received many BB boxes from family in St Louis, MO usually we get 2 or 3 per year. Last week we received one that had been pilfered. There was no stamps or tape to indicate that it had been opened by Customs and since the PHL has stated they wont be opening boxes unless they suspect something I doubt that US Customs would pilfer the box.

I tend to think it was the shipping company. Add to this that the box took 5 months to arrive.

Just wondering if anyone has ever had a BB box opened by Customs and if they did what kind of marking did it have stating that it was opened.

We have tried contacting the shipping company through their US email and PHL telephone but they wont answer us.

Currently there is only one outfit handling BB boxes in West County St Louis so we have no choices.

• Like 1

Bill H

I've never had a problem, but I always use LBC.  They seem to do a very good job.  Best of luck to you, was it insured?

• Like 2

jws50

I shipped 25 boxes from NJ to Davao in 2011 no problems.

colemanlee

Sent 40 of the things here all came in ok...last year got one from a friend...all ok...my son sent me a very expensive Gibson Custom guitar ...got here ok

Luck of the draw maybe

Monsoon

Currently there is only one outfit handling BB boxes in West County St Louis so we have no choices.

Which outfit did you use?

bounder

I had one box opened by US Customs back in 2012.  It contained a ziplock bag full of marigold seeds and I probably think when they scanned it, they thought they had caught the mother load of marijuana seeds.  They cut a slit in the side closest to the bag and when done with their inspecition, they covered the box in US Customs tape. 

That was the first and last box to be opened by anyone.  I have even had expensive items such as cameras sent here without a problem.  Yes, what is the name of your company.  If they will not answer the phone, then perhaps you need to find another more reputable carrier. 

No box has taken more than three months to get here (and that box was during the Chirstmas Season).

• Like 1

State Trooper

Which outfit did you use?

Majarocon in St Louis. My father sends the boxes to us and he is nearly 80 so I dont ask him to go into the city to find a new shipper. This outfit is near him in West County.

Box was insured for $100 but we have never had a problem before. I actually think it was the local courier service that Majarocon uses but Im still upset that Majarocon wont respond to us. Items stolen were not expensive but were intended for the children, things like new school book bags and clothing that he picked out for them. Kids are disappointed  :sad_01: 

However with future boxes we will use a tamper indicator tape so if its opened I will know as my father always sends us a contents list via email. I will then open the box with the delivery person present.

• Like 1

M.C.A.

State Trooper have you any Asian grocery stores or small Asian food stores?  That's how I sent my stuff out from Fargo ND and also found out what days the boxes were picked up by the shipping company, I used Forex and it had tracking, I have read several articles on shipping Balikbayan boxes and basically you have to be careful with some companies especially the ones that don't charge that much, back in 2010 it cost me $125 for one box.

Monsoon

However with future boxes we will use a tamper indicator tape so if its opened I will know as my father always sends us a contents list via email. I will then open the box with the delivery person present.

I've always only used LBC, they have me sign across the seal they put on the box. Then they continue to tape the hell out of it. 

• Like 2

RogerDuMond

I've always only used LBC, they have me sign across the seal they put on the box. Then they continue to tape the hell out of it. 

We also only use LBC. One of the good things about LBC is that they are the only ones that handle the boxes once they are picked up from the local Filipino grocery store both in the US and here. They do not use contractors for any portion of the transportation. Another good thing is that you can get estimated and actual arrival dates for every stop of the box online. My wife uses layers of duct tape and heavy packing tape to seal the boxes and on all corners of the boxes.

I had one box opened by US Customs back in 2012. It contained a ziplock bag full of marigold seeds and I probably think when they scanned it,

It may have been sniffed out by one of their dogs rather than being picked up by a scan.

• Like 1

Paul

Just wondering if anyone has ever had a BB box opened by Customs and if they did what kind of marking did it have stating that it was opened.

Never had one delivered that late. Never had one opened by Customs, or anyone else for that matter. So, I never lost anything from one. 

Sorry to hear this happened to you.

TheWhiteKnight

One LBC box from  Los Angeles rummaged through by US customs in 2012, nothing missing I don't think. maybe 6 or 7 more from UMAC and they have been perfect and untouched. I hope that trend continues.

That's when the LBC guy taught me, their nick name was LATE, BUT COMING. LOL.

Actually one of the good things about the PH, where else can you get unlimited weight shipped across the world duty free for 60-100 bucks? Amazing. Pretty reliable in most cases.

LBC has a new service where they will deliver a 50 pound box in 15 days for 130 bucks, but 50 pounds doesn't seem worth it.

Boxes have takes about 40 days from West Coast to Central Luzon.

Edited by TheWhiteKnight
  • Like 1

Semper paratus

We used Orient Star out of Michigan U.S..A. in 2010 for 5 boxes. Somewhere along the line 3 of the boxes were pilfered for anything of value. Somehow they knew which 3 of the 5 to steal from. Someone had to have x-ray. They only opened the boxes with things of more value and or not available in the Philippines.

So was it customs or the shipper here ? We never got an answer from any of them. I haven't had any BB boxes since. That was enough of a loss. Lesson learned.

Edited by Semper paratus

TheWhiteKnight

We used Orient Star out of Michigan U.S..A. in 2010 for 5 boxes. Somewhere along the line 3 of the boxes were pilfered for anything of value. Somehow they knew which 3 of the 5 to steal from. Someone had to have x-ray. They only opened the boxes with things of more value and or not available in the Philippines.

So was it customs or the shipper here ? We never got an answer from any of them. I haven't had any BB boxes since. That was enough of a loss. Lesson learned.

What kind of valuable items did you risk in there?

Semper paratus

What kind of valuable items did you risk in there?

Wow, that was 6 years ago. You are testing my memory big time. I do recall it was like 40 different items missing. The most expensive was my laptop. Other things like good tableware, a basic set of  quality hand tools,  many nice shoes, kitchen utensils, and so on. According to the wife all things that are hard or impossible to come by in Dumaguete. I would say 60% of our stuff was stolen. It was NOT a fun introduction to life in the Philippines. I have a complete list of the missing items somewhere, but I don't feel like searching for it unless there is a real good reason.

Why do you ask anyhow ?  Just curious.

• Like 1