Civil Wedding Raffle Process

Hi friends I am in Mandaue City and waiting now for our marriage license which we will be getting on May 2 in the morning. We have to go to the Hall of Justice in the morning on the 2nd and submit the license for a raffle process. I am a little nervous about how this works. Does anyone here know? Are we guaranteed to get a date and does anyone know of a backup plan if for some reason we don't get through the raffle. I leave on May 12. I'll go anywhere at this point in the Philippines to get married before I leave.

Headshot

I have never heard of such a thing. Once you get the license, you can go to any judge to marry you. The judge in Minglanilla does a good job, and the fee is whatever you wish to pay (one or two thousand pesos is probably sufficient). I would suppose that the judges in all of the smaller cities on Cebu operate the same. It is best to go in and set it up the day before you plan to get married, so you know the judge will be able to do it when you want.

One thing. when they type up the wedding certificate, read EVERY copy twice to make sure there are absolutely NO ERRORS on the certificate. A little time spent proofing all copies of the certificate can save you a LOT of time and money down the road when you find out that a name was misspelled or a date was put in wrong, and you have to go through the court system to get it corrected. Once you have signed the copies, if there are errors, you will go through hell getting them fixed, and government offices don't like certificates that disagree with other certificates.

• Like 5

Thanks Headshot I will look into this and double check all of the paperwork as suggested.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

AussieLex

Don't sweat the raffle process.... I just got married in February... its not really a raffle, thats just what they call it ... the court house might have 4 courts in it... on a set day of the week the judges get together and decide who wants to do what  marriages...no one misses out... then the next day they will tell you which court and what time.... then you go to that courts clerks office and make sure your marriage license is prepared and then show up at the appointed time with your bride and 2 witnesses... easy as can be... the court charged me a 300 peso filing fee and that was all...

• Like 2
AussieLex

One thing. when they type up the wedding certificate, read EVERY copy twice to make sure there are absolutely NO ERRORS on the certificate. A little time spent proofing all copies of the certificate can save you a LOT of time and money down the road when you find out that a name was misspelled or a date was put in wrong

One letter wrong and it costs 1000 pesos filing fee and can take 6 months to correct ....   you actually get a marriage contract a few days after you do the judge thing... you cannot get the wedding certificate from the NSO for some time after.... we are actually still waiting for ours and we actually went in and applied for early filing...still have a couple of weeks to wait and we got married on the 18th of February ....

• Like 1

Thanks so much that really makes more sense now. I had this idea that the people getting married were being raffled and only so many were picked. Thanks aagain :)

shadow

I have never heard of such a thing. Once you get the license, you can go to any judge to marry you. The judge in Minglanilla does a good job, and the fee is whatever you wish to pay (one or two thousand pesos is probably sufficient). I would suppose that the judges in all of the smaller cities on Cebu operate the same. It is best to go in and set it up the day before you plan to get married, so you know the judge will be able to do it when you want.

Several yeas ago in this area, there were some judges getting all the "cream", and they implemented new rules dictating that all marriages done by judges had to go through a "raffle" process to determine which judge gets which case.

Davaoeno

There are of course other options - such as at your house. [ expect it to cost you though !! haha ]

post-8045-0-07283500-1461328145.jpg

• Like 3
RogerDat

My advice to all girls here is get a fiance visa, and get married in what ever country your love is going to take you, because, there are 2 girls here who married off shore fellas, and got abandoned here, cause visa would not go thru, now they are stuck here unable to marry another man.

• Like 1
shadow

My advice to all girls here is get a fiance visa, and get married in what ever country your love is going to take you, because, there are 2 girls here who married off shore fellas, and got abandoned here, cause visa would not go thru, now they are stuck here unable to marry another man.

Good point. I would add to that for them to be careful who they hook up with. Most seem to be so desperate they hook up with the first loser who comes along (ask my wife!).

However, if they are both free to marry, have no extensive criminal background, and he can prove he can support her, there really is few reasons a US spousal or fiance visa would be denied if proper procedures are followed.  

Edited by shadow
  • Like 5
RogerDat

I assume you are talking about wife's FIRST marriage? :shit_stirrer:

Headshot

Thanks so much that really makes more sense now. I had this idea that the people getting married were being raffled and only so many were picked. Thanks aagain :)

It appears that the raffles are only at the courthouses in the major cities. I would guess you can still go to any of the small courthouses outside the city and avoid the raffle completely.

• Like 2
AussieLex

I got married at Talisay City district court house.... we want in on a Friday morning, the clerk of court asked for out papers from the Local Civil Registrar, out marriage license etc ... then told us the raffle would be midday afternoon and to contact her on tuesday morning, there was also a fee of 300 pesos filing fee which we paid at that time.

We contacted her on the tuesday morning and she told us the court number and the time and date ...which happened to be thursday at 2.30pm ... we were told to be there some minutes early and go to the court office...

We arrived about 30 minutes early on the thursday, the clerk of that court handed us the marriage license copies to check for accuracy .. then told us to go wait in the court with our two witnesses... the court was not open to the public... almost right on time the female judge came in chatted to us for a few minutes then went through the motions of solemnising the marriage..... we signed the paperwork etc and that was it ....

We asked several times as to what we had to pay/donate etc and were told each time that there is no cost aside from the filing fee.... we went back a few days later to pick up our actual marriage license... the marriage certificate issued by the NSO takes quite a long time to be issued but in the mean time you can use the marriage license for most things.

We got married on Feb 18 this year so our experience is pretty current... mind you different courts might do things their own way ...

Edited by AussieLex
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Bassix

Went to the Hall of Justice for the raffle today after getting our license from the Registrar. We were there at 9:15 am, submitted photocopies of all of our paperwork and told to come back at 3 pm.

Went back at 2:30 pm and we were raffled to a judge. We were told to go to the judge's office and the clerk said they only marry on Fridays. They took all of our paperwork again and said they would call us later in the afternoon or in the morning.

They said maybe May 6th or May 13th but I am gone May 12th (will have been here a month). So will be waiting for the call tomorrow morning.

Starting to get the feeling we are getting the runaround.

Maybe we should look at Minglanilla as Headshot suggested if they can't give us May 6th. I understand that the license I good throughout the Philippines.

Anyway just posting for future reference for anyone else trying to get married at a civil ceremony in Mandaue City. Hopefully info here will help and crossing my fingers everything works out.

shadow

Went to the Hall of Justice for the raffle today after getting our license from the Registrar. We were there at 9:15 am, submitted photocopies of all of our paperwork and told to come back at 3 pm.

Went back at 2:30 pm and we were raffled to a judge. We were told to go to the judge's office and the clerk said they only marry on Fridays. They took all of our paperwork again and said they would call us later in the afternoon or in the morning.

They said maybe May 6th or May 13th but I am gone May 12th (will have been here a month). So will be waiting for the call tomorrow morning.

Starting to get the feeling we are getting the runaround.

Maybe we should look at Minglanilla as Headshot suggested if they can't give us May 6th. I understand that the license I good throughout the Philippines.

Anyway just posting for future reference for anyone else trying to get married at a civil ceremony in Mandaue City. Hopefully info here will help and crossing my fingers everything works out.

Now that you have the marriage license, you can marry anywhere.

• Like 1