Sign in to follow this  
Thorvald

The Question of the Yellowstone caldera

Thorvald

Very recently, there have been 3 volcanic eruptions. One in Alaska, one in Central Negros Occidental, and just now in Japan. The one in Japan was preceded by earthquakes. So the question is whether the other two volcanic eruptions were preceded by earthquakes, because there have been a number of earthquakes in Wyoming where that ancient monster volcano lies dormant, yet is overdue to erupt.....? 

ROCO22

When that sucker goes it will most likely result in Climate Change we will all believe in...

post-678-0-08380300-1460861824_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

tonny

Will be the end of the US as we know it for sure!!!!!

bounder

Just imagaine, it it blows, then we will finally have a White Christmas in the Philippines...with temperatures to match.  What a catastrophic way to learn about the seasons, eh?

ROCO22

Very recently, there have been 3 volcanic eruptions. One in Alaska, one in Central Negros Occidental, and just now in Japan. The one in Japan was preceded by earthquakes. So the question is whether the other two volcanic eruptions were preceded by earthquakes, because there have been a number of earthquakes in Wyoming where that ancient monster volcano lies dormant, yet is overdue to erupt.....? 

You Sir, are a TRUE Global thinker... :drinks:

A_Simple_Man

one in Central Negros Occidental

Are you talking about Mt Kanlaon letting off a little steam?  the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said "no lava flow effused from the summit crater.  That's really reaching if you are looking for a doom and gloom story.

I do find it interesting that Japan had two large earthquakes and the second was much larger than the first.  I have found aftershocks to be smaller than the original in most instances, but not this time.

goggleye

breaking news is a 7,8 in ecuador 

Bill H

There is no question Yellowstone will blow, but to answer the "when" question is probably impossible at this point in time.  One thing is for sure, most of the residents of Wyoming, Montana, and South Dakota will not survive either the eruption or the resulting ash.  It is also sure to be a major influence on climate change, but not in a good way.  Yet, it has nothing to do with human actions.  You'll have to blame this one on God.

• Like 1

Sonny

There is no question Yellowstone will blow, but to answer the "when" question is probably impossible at this point in time.  One thing is for sure, most of the residents of Wyoming, Montana, and South Dakota will not survive either the eruption or the resulting ash.  It is also sure to be a major influence on climate change, but not in a good way.  Yet, it has nothing to do with human actions.  You'll have to blame this one on God.

Al Gore will find some way to blame the 'deniers', and 97% of scientists will fall in line.

• Like 1

Sonny

A perspective on time is in order here.  The last eruption of Yellowstone was approximately 640,000 years ago. The estimated intervals of the two previous eruptions was aprox. 1 million years, and between

the second and third, .6 of a million.  Granted, one could occur tomorrow, but likely not for awhile yet.  Even if we are 99% through our next interval, it will not happen for another 6000 years.  I suspect that we, as a people, a nation, perhaps even as a species, will not exist by the time of the next 'big one'.  Me?  I'm more afraid of Hillary becoming president NEXT year. 

• Like 5

GwapoGuy

Nothing out of the ordinary here just plate tectonics at work.

The hundreds of small earthquakes in the US are do to fracking!

softail

at my age I'm not going to worry about something I have no control over. Just what I need, something else to worry about.

Thorvald

Are you talking about Mt Kanlaon letting off a little steam?  the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said "no lava flow effused from the summit crater.  That's really reaching if you are looking for a doom and gloom story.

I do find it interesting that Japan had two large earthquakes and the second was much larger than the first.  I have found aftershocks to be smaller than the original in most instances, but not this time.

Not looking for doom and gloom, just trying to figure out if earthquakes are a precursor to impending volcanic eruptions. And I don't live that far away from Wyoming.

• Like 1