LEST WE FORGET - ANZAC TRUCK

Ozepete

Thanks for that Ken. ANZAC Day is now more important and respected than ever..

This is one digger that I will be specially thinking about on ANZAC Day....

RIP my dear Dad.

Always proud of you and will never forget..

post-6858-0-47165100-1460542887_thumb.png

Edited by Ozepete
  • Like 6
Scotsbloke

What a great truck and such a poignant pic, Pete.  So you're a Mackay?  My paternal grandmother was Isabella MacKay from Kinlochbervie on Scotland's north west coast.  We could be cousins ;)

So 100 years since the tragedy of Gallipoli will be remembered on Monday week.  I really hope Her Maj acknowledges what you Aussies and Kiwis went through.  The Canuks, in the form of The Newfoundland Regiment, were oot there too.

Something that rips my knitting in the teaching of history (and I have three bairns at school who are all taking history as a subject at various levels) is that our debt to our Australian, Canadian, Kiwi and American friends is almost totally unacknowledged.

Some of we older Brits will shed a tear for The ANZACS.

Edited by Scotsbloke
  • Like 5
Paul

In the US, Veteran's Day is almost a lost holiday. :(

• Like 3
lamoe

But look at all the sales :kissass: - the only ones actually observing it,  are the vets at restaurants  and lip service politicos.

Mr. Mike

Honestly..... I never knew what Anzac or Anzac Day was/is until I joined this forum a few years ago....now I do, and I am glad I did! Thank you very much!

God bless all of them! ................

• Like 5
Scotsbloke

But look at all the sales :kissass: - the only ones actually observing it,  are the vets at restaurants  and lip service politicos.

Our functional equivalent, Remembrance Sunday, is conducted with, as you'd expect, great aplomb and style..  We leave out the rest of the Anglosphere, though and that's to our chagrin*.

*Now if only The French had a simple word such as 'chagrin' to mean something like 'shamefully humbled'...

• Like 1
Mr. Mike

Maybe this truck should come to the US and display itself in Washington DC....in front ,or beside our own war memorials. I am sure there is plenty of space and it would be welcomed with sincere interest and plenty of love and respect.

Scotsbloke

Honestly..... I never knew what Anzac or Anzac Day was/is until I joined this forum a few years ago....now I do, and I am glad I did! Thank you very much!

God bless all of them! ................

Mikey, the Aussies and (few) Kiwis who post on here are absolutely brilliant blokes.  Laugh?  I nearly bought a fecking round!

• Like 1
Johnny S

Mikey, the Aussies and (few) Kiwis who post on here are absolutely brilliant blokes.  Laugh?  I nearly bought a fecking round!

And I am sure they don't wear skirts... :ROFLMAO:

• Like 3
Mr. Mike

Well... it depends upon where they shop :yahoo:

• Like 1
Scotsbloke

And I am sure they don't wear skirts... :ROFLMAO:

:) women love blokes in kilts!  I've worn mine from northern Sweden to Hawaii for various functions and, well, it's compensated for me being an ugly bloke ;)

As a mild aside, my grandfather didn't fight in Gallipoli but he did spend 2 years in the trenches as he was a very early volunteer.  He was then shot in the hand and was sent back to Ireland as part of a garrison to take the place of the (then) Ulster Volunteer Force.

The 36th Ulster Division then went on to show distinct gallantry at The Somme - where they were slaughtered in great numbers much like The ANZACS.  So it's a poignant year for me.

• Like 1
colemanlee

Im guessing you guys know it already but there are some excellent movies out on Gallipoli....well worth the watch///

Gallipoli/Gallipoli Campaign movies/

https://www.google.com.ph/search?sa=X&espv=2&biw=1342&bih=654&q=All+the+King%27s+Men+(1999+film)&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgFuLUz9U3MKzKyzJU4gIxjYoMckxNtKSyk6300zJzcsGEVVFqTmJJaopCcWpJ8SpGqTSr7NTK8vyiFKvc_LLM1GIrsCFpyeYFAF9MJqRSAAAA&ved=0ahUKEwiBo5X0g43MAhXEq5QKHUTbDXkQri4IIQ'>
  • Like 2
bkkmarlowe

Im guessing you guys know it already but there are some excellent movies out on Gallipoli.

Check out this one....

Gallipoli (1981) Two Australian sprinters face the brutal realities of war when they are sent to fight in the Gallipoli campaign in Turkey during World War I. ... Mel Gibson, Mark Lee, Bill Kerr
  • Like 2
bounder

And yet, apart from Memorial Day, it is one of the most important days of remembrance for me.  It just the numbers of military veterans keep getting smaller and smaller....Even the Vietnam era veterans are starting to thin with the years.

• Like 3