Sign in to follow this  
questsea73

Laoag + Tuguegarao + Legaspi travel-to info desired...help

questsea73

I live in Cagayan de Oro.  I probably will need within 30 days to travel to see friends in these three cities.  They are all serviced by Cebu Pacific whom I have flown on several times in last 2 years with no problems.  But the air fare is substantial ...7000 pesos plus one way to Laoag for example.  I imagine I can bus myself between the two northern places, Laoag being on northwest coast of Luzon, although Tuguegarao appears it would be a long bus ride eastward. Legaspi is in south Luzon I believe a 10-12 hour bus ride there from Manila area.

I have no experience with Luzon except Manila which I avoid as possible and Angeles dating back couple of decades.

I am in my early 70's but active and am fairly receptive to longer bus rides if on a bus with good seats and a/c for long haul trips.  Although my back is not so great on 4 hour plus trips over bad roads.

I have not been on any boat trips here, so no knowledge of them.

Has anyone had any experience, tips on travel to/from those places by other than flying in?  If so, would you share them?

If I flew to Clark and bused myself north along west Luzon coast highway to Laoag what would be involved timewise?  Is road good?  Are there express a/c buses on that route?  If I did that I might stop at Baguio for a few days.

Ken

Agustin

I'm subscribing to this thread, I have also noted that airfare to Laoag is pricier than it is to anywhere else in the in the Philippines, both with PAL and Cebu Pacific.

hagler

I have pretty extensive experience in Luzon so will help as much as i can. When I am in the PI I have a place just north of San Fernando, La Union and I ride a lot throughout Luzon on a big bike as well as small ones. There are not too many roads or tracks I havent been down at some stage over the years.

Bus from Angeles City to Laoag is doable but I would suggest breaking the journey up by having a stop somewhere like San Fernando , La Union. You will be able to find a bus from AC to Vigan and then will have to change to another to Laoag but you will be talking about 10-12 hours to Vigan from AC. Better to take a bus to SF, La Union (6 - 7 hours), stay the night and then get another bus in the morning going north to Vigan (4 hours) or Laoag ( 6 hours). You could do AC to Bagiou but you will then need to take a bus from Baguio to San Fernando or maybe you can find one to Vigan.

To get from Laoag to Tuguegarao you can take the occasional bus but mini vans will be a much better option. I would say that you would be looking at around 6 to 8 hours in a mini van amd a lot more in the bus. This trip is very boring after Claveria being long flat roads with nothing to see.

The roads you will be on are all good and you should be able to find a bus from Dau terminal ( AC) that is going north Via the TPLEX will make the journey a lot more comportable and faster.

A great Luzon centric forum that will be able to help you a lot is http://pirascals.com/ . If you ask the same question on there you should get a lot of info from really experienced Luzon guys

Edited by hagler
  • Like 1