Sign in to follow this  
tambok

Buying a Business for a Girl

hagler

Flat top tow truck.

bounder

The trouble is, sari sari stores need to allow for short term loans for customers who will buy, but only if on credit.

You know, my asawa and I were talking about that the other day.  IOU's are good, but how do you get them to pay off their debts?  If you try to collect, they just go to the next sari sari store and start charging there.  It is an unending cycle so typical of the PH.

• Like 2

Jawny

You know, my asawa and I were talking about that the other day.  IOU's are good, but how do you get them to pay off their debts?  If you try to collect, they just go to the next sari sari store and start charging there.  It is an unending cycle so typical of the PH.

This is one of the main reasons such businesses fail. We had a sari sari store and were able to allow for a certain amount of deadbeat customers. In effect, absorb the loss. However, the other hassles in addition to these losses were just too much, so we gave up the business and opened a bakery instead.

We have a clear and unwavering policy with the bakery. No utang (credit). Our reasoning is simple. IT'S BREAD!!

With a sari sari store, the most common claim for need of an utang is for rice or other food. In effect, without credit, some families would go hungry. In most cases, the ones with the debt would pay as soon as money was available. It was a hard core minority that would float around from store to store getting credit and slow in paying, if at all.

With bread, no fear of a family going hungry if they don't get credit.

Even with people paying their debts, it's still is a problem for the smaller sari sari store. When the shelves are empty, it's hard to go shopping to replenish unless the owner has a reserve of money. Most families spend their profits as quickly as they get them, so they end up with shortages and customers who have nothing to buy.

The OP needs to consider this sort of business sense for the girl he is helping.

• Like 1

TheWhiteKnight

Just give her the max money you were willing to spend, divide it up and give it monthly, she gets the extra support, and you get the feeling of a white knight without feeling the inevitable bad blood that comes from setting up a Filipino for business and watching it all fall apart. This would be a win/win and frankly the money will go to better use without any overhead of pesky business equipment or inventory.

SkyMan

Does the Philippine government even have a health dept. that oversees vendors and restaurants ?
Technically, yes.  I remember an article where they had checked the brushes used for BBQ sauce at Larsian Food Park and more than half were using paint brushes on the "Do not use" list because they were Chinese and used lead.

KID

What about a personal shopper business for foreigners 

• Like 5

Jawny

What about a personal shopper business for foreigners

I have always hoped some member (or girlfriend) would start such a business. Not just for foreigners.

I know there are online sources for a variety of items, but some things are much harder to get. For example, food items and movie DVDs.

I travel to Cebu a few times a year, spend two nights and head home. That gives us a half day on the day of travel and another full day. Then we return to Leyte. In that short amount of time we are usually limited to two shopping malls and maybe one or two side trips by taxi to some particular destination.

In addition, the more we shop the more we hear "out of stock sir". We've tried many times to leave a phone number or email address in the hopes of being contacted when stocks arrive. NEVER have we received a response. This has been for many years.

A while back I made a query of the membership of LinC where foam earplugs could be purchased. I got many replies as well as offers to send some to me by members who buy them by the hundreds. Point being, there are people willing to be of assistance.

I am willing to pay someone to do the shopping for items which become available only once in a while. Couple of examples (not our most important items, but typical): pumpkin pie mix, seasoned salt, cranberries, Crisco. Another example: current movie DVDs.

Sometimes I need a particular car part, even as simple as an original air or oil filter for a Toyota. Easy to get from a dealer in Cebu but often no supplies here.

We are willing to pay the cost of shipping, such as LBC or similar as well as the cost of the item and a fee for the service.

This is not something we want to have done as a favor from someone. We prefer that it be a business relationship where we pay the costs, and spare ourselves the hassles of travel.

I know it would take some smart person to figure out how to make this a business. However, just a poll of members might reveal if there was a desire for such a service.

• Like 6

dnl_grout

We prefer that it be a business relationship where we pay the costs, and spare ourselves the hassles of travel.

Yes as secondary side line of Personal Shopper in city at your location.

In your case you would enjoy a yes we can, or no we can't straight up answer right from the git go.

PSFF...Personal Shopper For Foreigners will maintain some sort of satisfied customer rate or we are done...finish already.

PSFF...Will shop till we drop to find what you want

********Retain The Right to Refuse service anything that goes BOOM!, is the worst drug at that time, or involved in politics******** 

PSFF...looks forward to serving you personally in the future.

**Side Note** PSFF does not provide service to Koreans or Chinese**

Fish Sandwich

In addition, the more we shop the more we hear "out of stock sir".

Maybe because "out of stock sir" has two meanings here? Maybe you know this already, but sometimes you have to dig a little deeper to see if they've never had it and are probably never going to get it... or, if they really mean "out of stock." I have yet to find the perfect words that convey that efficiently though. Like "never stocked?" ... "when new stocks?"...which is usually followed by, "I don't know."... or no reply... definitely frustrating. But, unless I've seen it at a place before, or got a solid answer, I just assume now that "out of stock sir" means they never had and most likely never will. 

Personally, in regards to the topic, it seems no good deed goes unpunished here. I read the stories here...and I've heard and experienced them firsthand. Unless you have spare cash to just give away, it's basically a lose-lose situation, and better to be the bad guy while hanging onto your money.

• Like 1

shadow

Maybe because "out of stock sir" has two meanings here? Maybe you know this already, but sometimes you have to dig a little deeper to see if they've never had it and are probably never going to get it... or, if they really mean "out of stock." I have yet to find the perfect words that convey that efficiently though. Like "never stocked?" ... "when new stocks?"...which is usually followed by, "I don't know."... or no reply... definitely frustrating. But, unless I've seen it at a place before, or got a solid answer, I just assume now that "out of stock sir" means they never had and most likely never will. 

Personally, in regards to the topic, it seems no good deed goes unpunished here. I read the stories here...and I've heard and experienced them firsthand. Unless you have spare cash to just give away, it's basically a lose-lose situation, and better to be the bad guy while hanging onto your money.

About half the time "out of stock" means they haven't a clue what you are talking about. It may be right under them in a glass showcase, but they call it something else entirely.

• Like 6

Fish Sandwich

About half the time "out of stock" means they haven't a clue what you are talking about. It may be right under them in a glass showcase, but they call it something else entirely.

Haha, definitely, that's happened more than a few times as well. I try to ask as many as possible, but sometimes that backfires when they go ask the other person I just asked. I think when you live here long enough, you just take a mental inventory of everything in the whole store...seems easier sometimes.

bahalina buong

I vote to just give her an allowance, enjoy it while you can, and then move on.  Every Filipino wants a business because almost all businesses here are ridiculously profitable and extremely successful.  But when they fail, it's just bad luck or someone else's fault...and it will probably be YOUR fault due to lack of funding or bad business advice.  Just put her on salary, title her "personal assistant", and think up some meaningless tasks she can pretend to accomplish.  Winning!      

• Like 2

Jawny

Actually, I have learned that "out of stock" is just problem solving.

The situation is, sales staff are not well motivated to work for the customer. What makes their job harder is to deal with difficult customers. Foreigners are generally considered to be difficult for a wide range of reasons, but many times because they actually expect service.

So, as you approach the sales staff, you (the foreigner) are a "problem".

Being smart, they know they have to solve this problem. So, one way a problem is solved is if it goes away. Many ways to have a customer go away. One of the easiest, and hardest for the customer to question is "out of stock sir".

If it goes to plan, the customer accepts the answer, walks away. Problem is solved!!

• Like 5

shadow

Actually, I have learned that "out of stock" is just problem solving.

The situation is, sales staff are not well motivated to work for the customer. What makes their job harder is to deal with difficult customers. Foreigners are generally considered to be difficult for a wide range of reasons, but many times because they actually expect service.

So, as you approach the sales staff, you (the foreigner) are a "problem".

Being smart, they know they have to solve this problem. So, one way a problem is solved is if it goes away. Many ways to have a customer go away. One of the easiest, and hardest for the customer to question is "out of stock sir".

If it goes to plan, the customer accepts the answer, walks away. Problem is solved!!

If you added the word "sometimes" to your post I would agree with you fully. The truth is there are many case scenarios where "out of stock" becomes the easiest answer. Sometimes it is even true that they are "out of stock".

• Like 2

batman2525

Does the Philippine government even have a health dept. that oversees vendors and restaurants ?

I hope not...