Sign in to follow this  
tambok

Buying a Business for a Girl

hyaku

I have yet to see this work. Even a lot of foreigners come here with some big business ideas that dont work either. Needs research. Supply and demand is a necessity.

• Like 1

Bill H

What Cipro and Contraman (AKA the Great Ape) said in their posts.  If you missed their posts I'll summarize them for you:  DON'T DO IT!!

• Like 4

A_Simple_Man

If you have had success stories, please share

No need to buy her any business.  The best business a filipina can get into will cost her nothing and has many success stories:

Teach her how to chat with foreigners on dating sites.  She will not need to "DO" anything except chat and let the guys fantasies do the rest.  In a short time, with good communication skills, she can be making the money you are talking about due to gullible and foolish guys all around the world volunteering to send money.  Success stories?  I have yet to hear of failure stories when filipinas do this.

Is it scamming?  The guys are doing it to themselves so I would say no.

• Like 1

jtmwatchbiz

i say calanderia....I started a hot dog cart as a second business on a whim here in the states and it turned into a very profitable little business.........Best day ever was $1,860 profit in a five hour SELLING WINDOW

Again, this was in the states...........BUT...... Most places in the P.I. have more foot traffic and that is really good for sales opportunities 

i always liked the idea of having a hot dog cart in the states but i never did as i was already in the car biz. 

for the OP...some things that i see some young people do here in cebu city for business are pretty enterprising and simple.  there are a group of 3 teenagers that buy a few dozen eggs every morning from the egg supplier up the street from us and go round the neighborhoods selling them to houses and small businesses. they told me sometimes they reload with eggs 3 times a day as they sell them all.  another group of neighborhood youngsters go to carbon market and buy up some popular fruits and veggies on the cheap and sell them the same way along with simple donut-cruller-looking thingies they make at home the nite before.  the key to their success is bringing their wares to their customers and working the type of residential neighborhoods where people are inclined to want those items on a daily basis and getting the stuff would otherwise require a special trip.      

• Like 8

Jawny

I know a girl, a super honest one- known her for 4 years. She is a really hard worker but she only makes some 6-7K a month doing cosmetic therapy at a spa. Has a little daughter; the money is not enough to raise her.

What business should I buy for her? Something that would make some 15-20K a month. Something generic and reliable and does not need a big capital.

She is in Taguig, Manila.

If you have had success stories, please share.

How much did you need to invest?

How much has it been earning?

Please no advice where millions needed.

Something basic with not many skills needed. Like a food truck, etc.

Your question is what millions of families here ask every day. That is not an exaggeration. The girl's situation is similar to so many that have the desire to make more, but lack the skills and resources.

Now that I've stated the obvious, my only suggestion is a bakery, based upon my own experience. However, if she has no business sense, it may be hard for her to hire (and fire) employees.

Some of the suggestions above such as food cart have worked for others. I recall posts in the LinC archives about this. So, perhaps a food cart.

Regretably, the outcome is pretty common that "eating the seed corn" is the cause of failure.

Many, many families in my area start a small sari sari store. The initial capital is commonly provided by an OFW in the family, or sometimes a well meaning foreigner (boyfriend). The trouble is, sari sari stores need to allow for short term loans for customers who will buy, but only if on credit. As you can guess, the book with the IOUs can often exceed the book with the profit. So, when it comes time to stock the shelves, the sari sari store uses credit (if it can be had) to resupply.....and a vicious cycle begins. Only a very few survive this cycle very long and most fail. In my area, in a five km stretch there are perhaps six sari sari stores which have survived for decades. There have been dozens fail.

The suggestion to buy the spa seems reasonable as it is a business she has knowledge of.

Edited by Jawny
  • Like 4

Skywalker

and she's probably taking selfies.

Ain't that the truth.

If she had a brain she wouldn't have gotten knocked up by a disappearing Dong.

Time to wake up, or waste your money.  A good heart is an emotion that doesn't carry commerce with it.

fred42

I've helped people here before but in the end they act like they are doing me a favour..

Makes no sense ,I know.

• Like 5

jtmwatchbiz

I've helped people here before but in the end they act like they are doing me a favour..

Makes no sense ,I know.

i know the sentiment of many in this thread are not to do it but the OP asked for suggestions on type of biz not whether to do it or not.  some of us that actually work here in biz know a thing or two about it and are not looking to squash the idea.  no one except the OP is familiar with the person he is trying to help so all these negative quips are just shooting from the hip blindfolded.

• Like 8

BossHog

..Best day ever was $1,860 profit in a five hour SELLING WINDOW

great job!

Edited by BossHog

KID

I recall him saying previously he expanded to five carts and he did a lot of promotion

and... he's talking about his "best day ever"

so, yeah, i find it  plausible.

Not me brother.... Just 1 hot dog cart and 1 ice cream cart...... well I did have 2 HD carts for a bit but sold one that I never licensed 

I did however just buy a soft-serve ice cream truck that I am making into a ice cream--smoothie---coffee truck......Also just bought a 21 foot trailer fully equipped to start doing large festivals and state fairs.......Business is still in the building stage at the moment.... looks like I am going to miss the 4/20 festival in Denver this year....LOL

post-17-0-11121200-1460429561_thumb.jpgpost-17-0-01152100-1460429575_thumb.jpgpost-17-0-31338200-1460429595_thumb.jpgpost-17-0-54344900-1460429608_thumb.jpgpost-17-0-96812600-1460429617_thumb.jpg

Edited by KID
  • Like 7

Johnny S

Just keep in mind. "Only spend as much as you are prepared to lose"..good luck...

• Like 4

KID

Just keep in mind. "Only spend as much as you are prepared to lose"..good luck...

True....But it takes money to make money

Johnny S

Another point to consider is even if she starts a business and is successful, without a doubt, eventually, there will similar businesses start up nearby.. be prepared...

• Like 1

SkyMan

i always liked the idea of having a hot dog cart in the states but i never did as i was already in the car biz. 

Gots ta have me a Lucky Dawg!

large_luckydog.bmp

Nice thing about a portable store is being able to move it to where the customers are.  You can be near the school when it lets out, near the cock fights, near the footrace finish.  Whatever is going on.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 2

KID

Gots ta have me a Lucky Dawg!

large_luckydog.bmp

Nice thing about a portable store is being able to move it to where the customers are.  You can be near the school when it lets out, near the cock fights, near the footrace finish.  Whatever is going on.

Exactly

Here is my towable hot dog cart that I built myself-----really anything can be carried on this cart with the steam tables and 2  BBQ grills.....depends on the Health departments rules that very from state and even city

Does the Philippine government even have a health dept. that oversees vendors and restaurants ?

post-17-0-37826000-1460436562_thumb.jpgpost-17-0-27303800-1460436596_thumb.jpgpost-17-0-27083900-1460436619_thumb.jpgpost-17-0-89626800-1460436668_thumb.jpg

Edited by KID
  • Like 8