Sign in to follow this  
Sunflower1

Inquiring About filing Income Tax Return for For Dual Citizenship

Sunflower1

Hi Everybody,

I have been here in Cebu for a year and half now. It's tax time and the due is about to end. And I hope I get quick replies from you guys esp. those who are receiving Survivor Benefits.

I don't work here. I got a little savings in Texas with little interests. So the only source of income that my little two kids and I got is Survivor Benefits from Social Security. So my questions now are:

a. Do I have to file an income tax return? If so, where? Do I have to go back to the States and file or Is it possible to do it online filling(Note: I've never experienced filing online.)?

b. What is this Child Tax Credit? Am I qualified to file this?

Quick replies are highly appreciated.

Thank you.

• Like 1

TheWhiteKnight

Hi Everybody,

I have been here in Cebu for a year and half now. It's tax time and the due is about to end. And I hope I get quick replies from you guys esp. those who are receiving Survivor Benefits.

I don't work here. I got a little savings in Texas with little interests. So the only source of income that my little two kids and I got is Survivor Benefits from Social Security. So my questions now are:

a. Do I have to file an income tax return? If so, where? Do I have to go back to the States and file or Is it possible to do it online filling(Note: I've never experienced filing online.)?

b. What is this Child Tax Credit? Am I qualified to file this?

Quick replies are highly appreciated.

www.turbotax.com - or a tax professional, this is not the best place for this.

Sunflower1

www.turbotax.com - or a tax professional, this is not the best place for this.

Thank you.

SkyMan

a.  I really don't think you need to file.

b.  You might be qualified for this.

SkyMan

You may also want to note that you have a couple more months to file...

https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/U.S.-Citizens-and-Resident-Aliens-Abroad---Automatic-2-Month-Extension-of-Time-to-File

U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad - Automatic 2 Month Extension of Time to File

You may be allowed an automatic 2-month extension of time to file your return and pay any federal income tax that is due. You will be allowed the extension if you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien and on the regular due date of your return:

• You are living outside of the United States and Puerto Rico and your main place of business or post of duty is outside the United States and Puerto Rico, or
  • You are in military or naval service on duty outside the United States and Puerto Rico

If you use a calendar year, the regular due date of your return is April 15, and the automatic extended due date would be June 15. If the due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, the due date is delayed until the next business day.

Even if you are allowed an extension, you will have to pay interest on any tax not paid by the regular due date of your return.

Edited by SkyMan

Lee
Survivors' Benefits

Question: Are social security survivor benefits for children considered taxable income? Answer:

Yes, under certain circumstances, although a child generally will not receive enough additional income to make the child's social security benefits taxable.

• The taxability of benefits must be determined using the income of the person entitled to receive the benefits.
  • If you and your child both receive benefits, you should calculate the taxability of your benefits separately from the taxability of your child's benefits.
  • The amount of income tax that your child must pay on that part of the benefits that belongs to your child depends on the child's total amount of income and benefits for the taxable year.

To find our whether any of the child’s benefits may be taxable, compare the base amount for the child’s filing status with the total of:

• One-half of the child’s benefits.
  • All the child’s other income, including tax-exempt interest.

If the child is single, the base amount for the child’s filing status is $25,000. If the child is married, see Publication 915Social Security and Equivalent Railroad Retirement Benefits, for the applicable base amount and the other rules that apply to married individuals receiving social security benefits.

If the total of (1) one half of the child’s social security benefits and (2) all the child’s other income is greater than the base amount that applies to the child’s filing status, part of the child’s social security benefits may be taxable. You can figure the taxable amount of the benefits on a worksheet in the Instructions for Form 1040Instructions for Form 1040A, or in Publication 915.

https://www.irs.gov/Help-&-Resources/Tools-&-FAQs/FAQs-for-Individuals/Frequently-Asked-Tax-Questions-&-Answers/Social-Security-Income/Survivors'-Benefits/Survivors'-Benefits