Sign in to follow this  
shadow

US ACS outreach in Tacloban 04/12

shadow

U.S. Embassy representatives from the American Citizens Services (ACS) unit of the Consular Section will be in:

TACLOBAN CITY
Tuesday, April 12, 2016
8:00am to 11:00am
Go Hotels Tacloban
Tabuan National Highway, Marasbaras, Tacloban City

ACS will:
- Accept applications for Passports and Consular Reports
of Birth Abroad
- Provide information on registering with the Embassy
- Provide notarial services and affidavits of legal capacity to marry in the Philippines
- Please note: Applicants for Citizenship and Passport must read all information on the US Embassy website and bring the completed checklist with you.
Passports:
http://manila.usembassy.gov/service/passports.html
CRBAs:
http://manila.usembassy.gov/service/citizenship.html
If you do not bring the required documentation and photocopies, we will turn you away and you will have to schedule an appointment at the Embassy.
- The Social Security Administration will be available by telephone that will be provided by the ACS during outreach.
- Due to demand, we might not be able to accommodate all applicants for interview or social security calls during the three hours of the outreach and may implement a limit for some services.
- Remember: if you are applying on behalf of a minor applicant, the minor applicant must appear in person.

For more information, visit http://go.usa.gov/ctb33

• Like 1

Jawny

I know I should be grateful, but these outreach activities are pathetic. I can't know this for certain, but my guess is the staff will come on a flight in the morning and catch a return flight in the afternoon. Hence the three hour session.

It seems that a simple overnight stay would allow the staff to have a lot more time to respond to queries and provide assistance. Even have a short morning session the following day.

Of course this adds to the overall costs, but isn't that what the exorbitant fees for services are supposed to cover?

This sort of outreach activity is just a way to add the event to the list of wonderful services the staff of ACS is providing. Kinda like building a resume.

Maybe one of them could make a short layover in Cebu and accept a passport renewal from hospital bound citizen(s)?

• Like 1

M.C.A.

Shadow thank you, how do you find this stuff?  I don't live in Cebu but I live far south of Manila near Sta Cruz Laguna on Luzon, so I'm wondering if they have outreach programs in our area, I know they do have them North of Manila in Angeles and Baguio.  

Headshot

Shadow thank you, how do you find this stuff?  

Go to the US Embassy, and register and ask to be put on their email list. Then, whenever they have bulletins, announcements or warnings, you will receive them. For those that live in the southern Philippines, they can do the same thing at the Consular Office in Cebu.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

Jawny

The State Department does make an effort to use tax dollars (and fees) to provide services. The problem is, they miss the mark when it comes to being informative and/or useful. They are pretty much out of touch with the realities of life here. All is based upon the Manila experience and perceptions of the embassy staff with traffic jams and crowded shopping malls.

https://step.state.gov/step/

You can register as this link advises and this will get you the information about any country for which they have info. However, a couple of hints before you get your hopes up.

The same announcement came to me about the Tacloban outreach (as a registered person with the State Department). However, the announcement was sent with an attachment which failed to open. This is not the first time I've received information which has had a link or attachment which didn't work. It's not me or my computer as I have attempted to open the link from other computers and from other locations.

One of the things they say is they will "Help the U.S. Embassy contact you in an emergency, whether natural disaster, civil unrest, or family emergency.".

During the supertyphoon Yolanda, I never had any contact and I make it known I live in Leyte. However, there were ACS staff getting their photos taken "assisting" their fellow citizens in Tacloban.

My family did try to reach me at that time using the embassy and told my family they had no record of my name. I'd been on their register for a decade by then.

Frankly, I wouldn't want their assistance. If they process my passport renewals, that's good enough for me. I don't expect to have one of their grin and grip sessions to be of much use.

I know this sounds like sour grapes. I've just lived here long enough to know that the US Embassy is only a jobs program and not really going to provide much more than a convenient location for people to protest if some American policy upsets them.

• Like 1