Jeepney Fares

Since I took a job here I have to travel from Bulacao to Talamban once or twice a week. I also go to the same area for Mat Bowling once or twice a week as well. I also use the local transportation quite regularly for shopping and such.

Since I dress a bit more smartly for business meetings rather than wearing my local Filipino disguise of shorts and t-shirt, I have noticed something a bit unnerving. The jeepney conductors will quite often try and overcharge me or conveniently forget to give me my change.

Being a seasoned traveler on such modes of transportation, I do not put up with this even though it's only a Peso or two. It's the principal of the matter for me plus if they do it to me, they will most certainly try it on less experienced people. We all need to be educated on the issues and stand our ground as a group. I had to learn two more Cebuano phrases meaning, "where is my change dong" and "you overcharged me dong". LOL

Being that the fares increased four times times in the last 18 months or so and then actually came down a bit recently, they are taking advantage of the volatility and trying to squeeze people (locals included at times) for more than is fair. The current base fare is P7.50 and it increases with distance. Most jeepneys post the green sheets with the exact fare schedule. But some of the recent changes in jepney fares have not been reflected on the green fare sheets yet.

It's the same with the taxis and the additional P10 added to the meter drop. That has been repealed although most drivers will not volunteer that information. But most of them do not argue when you don't pay it because they know they can be reported!!!

Safe and happy travels!

Edited by Bob Ward

whoa, the 10 pesos fallback has been pulled on taxi? Have a link to a news story on that? I've been paying it.

On jeepneys, I just give them the exact change. If I am not sure of the exact fare then I will give them what I think it should be. If they need more, they'll tell me.

KeithAngel
whoa, the 10 pesos fallback has been pulled on taxi? Have a link to a news story on that? I've been paying it.

On jeepneys, I just give them the exact change. If I am not sure of the exact fare then I will give them what I think it should be. If they need more, they'll tell me.

The consensus amongst cabbies is that it comes off on 6th Dec

The consensus amongst cabbies is that it comes off on 6th Dec

Sure, that's what they will tell you, and they are partially correct. I believe that the 3rd is the official date of the rollback hearing, but the LTO has issued a statement to all Taxi Services asking them to voluntarily stop charging the P10 fee since fuel prices are way down. I've used several taxis in the last week or so and none of the drivers said one word when I did not add the fee.

Kristine tied to remind me to pay it last week and I told her about the rollback. The taxi driver confirmed my information, so I gave the P10 to him anyway for being honest! The LTO and media do not readily print or release information on rollbacks for some reason. I could not even find the information on their site! But here is something! http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/ceb/2008/...p10.add.on.html

It is the same in Canada. They still charge you the fuel surcharge everywhere. What a joke.

Heard on the news today that the official rollback will be on December 15th. This was confirmed by a taxi driver. We listened to the news together, BTW.

Heard on the news today that the official rollback will be on December 15th. This was confirmed by a taxi driver. We listened to the news together, BTW.

But did you pay him the P10?

Do you remember what radio station that was? And was the news report in English?

So you don't believe me? :D

Here's a link to the news story:

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerheadl...-taxi-fares-cut

Here's a better story:

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/...uce-fare--LTFRB

It's being suspended for three months. That means that the stickers stay and only those savvy enough to know the rules will avoid paying it.

Bob, check out this thread:

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/inde...?showtopic=8309

6 weeks ago, you were dogging me for not adding a tip up and above the 10 pesos because you said how much they need the extra income. Now, you are advocating people not paying the 10 pesos, even though its still a legal part of the fare until December 15th.

Are you ready to go back and admit that I was right 6 weeks ago? :D

Some taxis have already removed the sticker and aren't charging the extra 10. Come December 15, sticker or no sticker I won't be paying it. :D

So you don't believe me?

Penguin, I do believe you. I'm assuming you and the driver were listening

to his car radio when you both heard the news report. Right?

My question is regarding Cebu radio news reports in English.

I have not found any Cebu radio stations that broadcast in-depth local news

in English, so I'm hoping you might be able to recommend such a station. :D

Penguin, I do believe you. I'm assuming you and the driver were listening

to his car radio when you both heard the news report. Right?

My question is regarding Cebu radio news reports in English.

I have not found any Cebu radio stations that broadcast in-depth local news

in English, so I'm hoping you might be able to recommend such a station. :D

It was not in English. I can pick out enough with my limited visayan to understand and I asked the driver for clarification. ;)

A driver will be a fool to take off the sticker come December 15th since they cost 540 pesos and if the fare is unsuspended, they'll need to buy a new one.

I am looking forward to Dec 15th when I can start tipping drivers once again.

Bob, check out this thread:

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/inde...?showtopic=8309

6 weeks ago, you were dogging me for not adding a tip up and above the 10 pesos because you said how much they need the extra income. Now, you are advocating people not paying the 10 pesos, even though its still a legal part of the fare until December 15th.

Are you ready to go back and admit that I was right 6 weeks ago? :D

Not even close! Go back and do the math. I was mistaken about the current fuel prices in my first post refuting your argument for sure. But prices were fluctuating like crazy back then and the taxi drivers had already absorbed much of the pain before the increase in drop down fare.

My main argument with your thought process was that you were not going to tip the drivers any more because of an LTO action.

The fuel prices have been low for awhile now and the drivers got the windfall of the P10 since then. That is why the LTO asked the taxi association to voluntarily not collect the P10. I have not had one driver ask for it because they know they were officially asked to not collect it for some time now.

Pay it if you wish! But it's not required! Just check the articles you referenced, they say that the jeepney fares were rolled back to P7.50. The jeepneys in Cebu lowered their fares to P7.50 a week or two ago!

Just PM me if you figure any way to refute me with any validity. It's not worth wasting people's time I think. If you prove me wrong on any major point, I will openly post it on the forum!

Edited by Bob Ward
Not even close! Go back and do the math. I was mistaken about the current fuel prices in my first post refuting your argument for sure. But prices were fluctuating like crazy back then and the taxi drivers had already absorbed much of the pain before the increase in drop down fare.

You never refuted the math I made on that thread. You just said it was all wrong. Go ahead and prove those figures then wrong. They are the same figures now. I could redo them all to reflect current prices. In mid October, prices were not fluctuating, they were falling like a brick. Flucutating means going up and down. Feel free to offer some kind of proof that they were fluctuation.

Or just admit that I was onto something back in October and you picked up on it as well. ;)

My main argument with your thought process was that you were not going to tip the drivers any more because of an LTO action.

No, I felt that with the huge drop in prices(25%), the ten peso extra flag down was enough of a tip for them. You felt that in the face of falling prices that they deserved the same extra tips. NOW, with the prices down additional 20%, you feel that they no longer need the 10 pesos and no longer need a tip. Good on ya.

The fuel prices have been low for awhile now and the drivers got the windfall of the P10 since then. That is why the LTO asked the taxi association to voluntarily not collect the P10. I have not had one driver ask for it because they know they were officially asked to not collect it for some time now.

Yeah they have been, they've been down nicely since mid September.....still I feel the drivers need a bit extra. Before the the imposition of the 10 pesos flagdown, I usually gave 10 pesos as a tip. You've got stingy lately, have you changed your name to Kim Ward Bob? B)

Pay it if you wish! But it's not required! Just check the articles you referenced, they say that the jeepney fares were rolled back to P7.50. The jeepneys in Cebu lowered their fares to P7.50 a week or two ago!

Maybe you need to read them again. You'll find that Cebu jeepney fares are not mentioned.

Just PM me if you figure any way to refute me with any validity. It's not worth wasting people's time I think. If you prove me wrong on any major point, I will openly post it on the forum!

Cool, when you find a way to refute me, just PM me. I know you won't because your too stubborn to admit that the old Penguin was right and everything is all good now.

:D

In other words, chill out.