Sign in to follow this  
tim

Effective April 4, 2016, the U.S. Embassy is expanding the number of banks involved in our mail-in payment program

tim

U.S. Embassy, Manila, Philippines

Message for U.S. Citizens:  Expanded Mail-In Payment Options for

Adult Passport Renewals

April 1, 2016

THE EMBASSY OF THE UNITED STATES IS TRANSMITTING THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION THROUGH THE EMBASSY WARDEN SYSTEM AS A PUBLIC SERVICE TO AMERICAN CITIZENS IN THE PHILIPPINES. PLEASE DISSEMINATE THIS MESSAGE TO ALL U.S. CITIZENS IN YOUR ORGANIZATION OR NEIGHBORHOOD. 

Effective April 4, 2016, the U.S. Embassy is expanding the number of banks involved in our mail-in payment program to include Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI), Banco de Oro (BDO), and Security Bank (SBC).

U.S. citizens renewing their adult passports by mail using the DS-82 form may choose to include their payment with the application.  U.S. citizens may choose this option by including a U.S.-dollar demand draft issued by any of these three participating banks and made out to “U.S. Embassy Manila” for $110.  This demand draft should be included in your passport renewal documentation.  We only accept demand drafts from these three participating banks and do not accept any other financial instruments at this time.

U.S. citizens renewing their adult passports still have the option to pay the application fee in person or through a representative at the Embassy cashier or at the U.S. Consular Agency in Cebu after being notified by email with instructions on payment.  When making the payment, please bring the email notification sent to you by the Embassy.  For specific information on our mail-in renewal process, please visit our website, http://manila.usembassy.gov/service/passports/renewal.html.

Note:  The timestamp on this email message may reflect Washington, D.C. time, which may differ from local time.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

For further information:

·         See the State Department's travel websitefor the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and the Philippines Country Specific Information.

·         Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency. 

·         Contact the U.S. Embassy in Manila, Philippines, located at 1201 Roxas Boulevard, at +(63) (2) 301-2000, from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +(63) (2) 301-2000.

·         Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

• Like 1

TheWhiteKnight

I'm not impressed. I used a demand draft to pay for mine and it doubled the turnaround time. Even though it's a bank check and funds are good and already taken from your account, they still need to clear it, and it takes the normal 2-3 weeks that all US Dollar checks take to deposit in to their account. I don't know why they don't allow you to deposit directly in to their account like they do for visa's. It took 6 weeks and 2 days. If you are in a hurry at all, I recommend paying in person.

• Like 1

M.C.A.

I'm not impressed. I used a demand draft to pay for mine and it doubled the turnaround time. Even though it's a bank check and funds are good and already taken from your account, they still need to clear it, and it takes the normal 2-3 weeks that all US Dollar checks take to deposit in to their account. I don't know why they don't allow you to deposit directly in to their account like they do for visa's. It took 6 weeks and 2 days. If you are in a hurry at all, I recommend paying in person.

I need to renew my US Passport, on the bank draft do I print my full name and birthdate also?

TheWhiteKnight

I need to renew my US Passport, on the bank draft do I print my full name and birthdate also?

The bank will put whatever is needed, at BPI you need to have a BPI account. I dont know about the other banks. It had my full name on it, and to "U.S. Embassy Manila".

• Like 1

M.C.A.

The bank will put whatever is needed, at BPI you need to have a BPI account. I dont know about the other banks. It had my full name on it, and to "U.S. Embassy Manila".

Thanks White Knight, Dang... I only have the PNB bank... ugh, strange the US Embassy allows payment in draft now at only the BPI, BDO and SBC but it sounds you have to be a member of the bank, hopefully the other banks will allow a non member to purchase a draft.  And I wonder why a simple check won't work?

Edited by M.C.A.

Headshot

Demand Drafts?

How did they do it back when they would take renewal applications through the US Consular Office in Cebu?

Never mind. They take cash. Does anybody know if they will ever provide this service again at the Consular Office?

• Like 1

TheWhiteKnight

Demand Drafts?

How did they do it back when they would take renewal applications through the US Consular Office in Cebu?

Never mind. They take cash. Does anybody know if they will ever provide this service again at the Consular Office?

Did they stop? I thought I read you can do it in Cebu just adds a lot of time to turn around.

Jawny

This is from the embassy website:

METHOD 2: Personal Payment: You can elect to pay at the Embassy in person or through a representative once your documents are received. If electing this option, wait for the Embassy to notify you by EMAIL with the instructions on how to pay the non-refundable application fee of $110. The cashier at the Embassy accepts cash (either dollars or pesos) and credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, or Diners Club). Alternatively, you may send a representative to pay the application fee on your behalf. You may also pay at our Consular Agency in Cebu (located on the ground floor of The Waterfront Hotel, Lahug, Cebu) between 9 and 11 a.m., Monday to Friday.

• Like 3

Headshot

Did they stop? I thought I read you can do it in Cebu just adds a lot of time to turn around.

I guess I was mistaken. It seemed like they had stopped most of their services there at the Consular Office. If they are still taking payment and applications for passport renewal there, then that is, indeed, good news. That makes it a lot easier...and faster. Unless things have changed at the office, they only take cash (either dollars or pesos).

TheWhiteKnight

I guess I was mistaken. It seemed like they had stopped most of their services there at the Consular Office. If they are still taking payment and applications for passport renewal there, then that is, indeed, good news. That makes it a lot easier...and faster. Unless things have changed at the office, they only take cash (either dollars or pesos).

Yeah if you are close enough to go to either location, just do that, it's way faster and better in my book.

I didn't want to make the 3 hour trip to Manila and I stupidly thought the demand draft would be faster too.

Jawny

Yeah if you are close enough to go to either location, just do that, it's way faster and better in my book.

I didn't want to make the 3 hour trip to Manila and I stupidly thought the demand draft would be faster too.

The other method of payment (demand draft) gives information about the processing time:

METHOD 1: (NEW!) Mail-In Payment: With your application, you may include a US-dollar demand draft made out to “U.S. Embassy Manila” for $110. As of April 4, 2016, the U.S. Embassy has expanded the number of banks involved in our mail-in payment program to include not just Bank of Philippine Islands (BPI), but also Banco De Oro (BDO) and Security Bank (SBC). Except for these three banks mentioned (BPI, BDO and SBC), we do not accept demand drafts from any other bank or any other financial instruments at this time. Including any other form of payment with your application may result in significant delays in processing your application. NOTE: If electing this option, the bank draft must still be cleared for 15 working days after remittance of the check to the Embassy cashier before the passport can be released. Check remittance date may not necessarily be the same date when the application was received. Please make two (2) separate photocopies of the demand draft and enclose these with the original check and applicationform. If applying for an emergency passport, it is advisable to select the second option below (personal payment in cash). DO NOT INCLUDE CASH WITH YOUR MAIL-IN APPLICATION.

• Like 1

M.C.A.

This is from the embassy website:

METHOD 2: Personal Payment: You can elect to pay at the Embassy in person or through a representative once your documents are received. If electing this option, wait for the Embassy to notify you by EMAIL with the instructions on how to pay the non-refundable application fee of $110. The cashier at the Embassy accepts cash (either dollars or pesos) and credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, or Diners Club). Alternatively, you may send a representative to pay the application fee on your behalf. You may also pay at our Consular Agency in Cebu (located on the ground floor of The Waterfront Hotel, Lahug, Cebu) between 9 and 11 a.m., Monday to Friday.

I'm on Luzon or 70 miles south of Manila.  You have something there I have to send my application and then pay by credit card?  I have a credit card but I wonder how I would pay, I guess through my bank PNB? once notified.  Thanks Jawny, I read that from another expat post and it sounded a little confusing.

Jawny

I'm on Luzon or 70 miles south of Manila.  You have something there I have to send my application and then pay by credit card?  I have a credit card but I wonder how I would pay, I guess through my bank PNB? once notified.  Thanks Jawny, I read that from another expat post and it sounded a little confusing.

You may want to check the embassy website....http://manila.usembassy.gov/mobile/index.html

There's a lot of useful information there as well as the two methods of payment posted above. Here's the ACS portion...http://manila.usembassy.gov/mobile/service/passports/renewal.html

Not sure where PNB can assist.

• Like 1

M.C.A.

Update on my status, I was able to get a bank draft from BDO, at first they wouldn't do it, they wanted me to become a member but I already have a dollar account with PNB so..., good thing my wife and son showed up, it took a different turn the supervisor brought out some new addendum or message that they BDI, BDO and SBC issue you a bank draft and you won't need to become a member, the amount is $110 but what I didn't know was there's a $5 fee, dang... they did eventually wave that requirement and I paid in peso's.  You'll need to have an I-card and your passport the bank manager looks over your documents and signs the bank draft it took about an hour and it really wasn't all that busy.

My next hurdle was another learning experience, Air 21 is not to be contacted locally and you won't be able to contact them locally anyway their mini office are always closed, to set up a passport pick up and then delivery back to your home is very simple you call the number listed for Air 21 on the U.S. Embassy website 02-879-4747 it takes less than 5 minutes, I'm set to have my passport picked up real soon.

The documents and package must not be sealed the delivery person will look over all documents and I think witness you sign your passport renewal form.  So I made a copy of my passport data page, two copies of my bank draft and passport photos ready the total charge for the service is 200 pesos also the customer care rep for Air 21 mentioned they have their own packages or he said pouch, just in case I have all addresses and padded package material ready.

Edited by M.C.A.

TheWhiteKnight

Update on my status, I was able to get a bank draft from BDO, at first they wouldn't do it, they wanted me to become a member but I already have a dollar account with PNB so..., good thing my wife and son showed up, it took a different turn the supervisor brought out some new addendum or message that they BDI, BDO and SBC issue you a bank draft and you won't need to become a member, the amount is $110 but what I didn't know was there's a $5 fee, dang... they did eventually wave that requirement and I paid in peso's.  You'll need to have an I-card and your passport the bank manager looks over your documents and signs the bank draft it took about an hour and it really wasn't all that busy.

My next hurdle was another learning experience, Air 21 is not to be contacted locally and you won't be able to contact them locally anyway their mini office are always closed, to set up a passport pick up and then delivery back to your home is very simple you call the number listed for Air 21 on the U.S. Embassy website 02-879-4747 it takes less than 5 minutes, I'm set to have my passport picked up real soon.

The documents and package must not be sealed the delivery person will look over all documents and I think witness you sign your passport renewal form.  So I made a copy of my passport data page, two copies of my bank draft and passport photos ready the total charge for the service is 200 pesos also the customer care rep for Air 21 mentioned they have their own packages or he said pouch, just in case I have all addresses and padded package material ready.

Glad you got it worked out. My draft cost $10. I had my documents all sealed up, I didn't want the papers getting ruffled up and I was hesitant to allow the delivery guy to see the stuff. It makes sense though that they want them unsealed. The packing material they bring is a bullshit bag, no pad, nothing. They asked for 2 passport photos, but they sent one back for some reason. I'm pretty pleased with Air21 service, but no the embassy.

• Like 1