Sign in to follow this  
Paul

URGENT: A- (Rh Negative) Blood Needed

reich31e

Got a Message today. I'm not allowed to donate coz I'm 60 Years old.

spydoo

Just had an older friend  hospitalized last week and he too needed 4 pints minimum of A- blood.

And even though our circle of friends number appx 100, only 2 friends were A- and they contributed. There may have been more and possibly they chose not to but I'm speculating.

We had to drive around, make dozens of phone calls until after 2 days of searching we found 2 more volunteers.

Apparently A- is not common. What's odd is I was typed at that hospital, was O+, and I offered to give for whomever needed it but they said they don't store blood there so they didn't take my offer.  Oh well.

If they could have accepted A- and O- then the average fraction of people who could contribute 13%, 13 out of your 100 friends. Perhaps many didn't know their blood type? 

Jawny

Got a Message today. I'm not allowed to donate coz I'm 60 Years old.

If you are able to make the donation, I'd suggest you persist in the effort to get your blood accepted. The "rules" concerning blood donations are not written in stone (or blood if you prefer).

Similar to the issue of whether banks will open accounts with or without an ACR card, it is similar to blood donations.

From my (limited) experience, the most restrictive rules are applied by the Philippine Red Cross. In effect, they are the most likely to turn away donors for even minor concerns.

However, each hospital will have standards they apply. At least that has been my experience. Hospital A will not accept donations from individuals who are circumsized and hospital B will not accept from individuals who don't look healthy.

My point is, being turned down is not absolute here. Just like any other topic within the forum, there are many excretions to the "rules".

I hope you can help out this fellow in need. Thanks for trying.

reich31e

If you are able to make the donation, I'd suggest you persist in the effort to get your blood accepted. The "rules" concerning blood donations are not written in stone (or blood if you prefer).

Similar to the issue of whether banks will open accounts with or without an ACR card, it is similar to blood donations.

From my (limited) experience, the most restrictive rules are applied by the Philippine Red Cross. In effect, they are the most likely to turn away donors for even minor concerns.

However, each hospital will have standards they apply. At least that has been my experience. Hospital A will not accept donations from individuals who are circumsized and hospital B will not accept from individuals who don't look healthy.

My point is, being turned down is not absolute here. Just like any other topic within the forum, there are many excretions to the "rules".

I hope you can help out this fellow in need. Thanks for trying.

Yeah, each Hospital has their own Restrictions. Cebu Docs Hospital didn't accept me, coz I'm 60.....

I've contacted the wife of the Patient and she told me they don't accept me. I'm living in Dumaguete (Sibulan) and need to know

if I'm allowed to donate before I make the long trip to Cebu. I'm not in the Position to argue with the Hospital coz I'm not there.

Anyway in my Case there are other Problems as well. I have high Blood and been under Medication.

I can stop the Medication for 24 or 48 Hours but the Blood Pressure will rise and again, the Hospital don't accept

Donors with high Blood Pressure. That happened before when I was trying to donate.

Jawny

Yeah, each Hospital has their own Restrictions. Cebu Docs Hospital didn't accept me, coz I'm 60.....

I've contacted the wife of the Patient and she told me they don't accept me. I'm living in Dumaguete (Sibulan) and need to know

if I'm allowed to donate before I make the long trip to Cebu. I'm not in the Position to argue with the Hospital coz I'm not there.

Anyway in my Case there are other Problems as well. I have high Blood and been under Medication.

I can stop the Medication for 24 or 48 Hours but the Blood Pressure will rise and again, the Hospital don't accept

Donors with high Blood Pressure. That happened before when I was trying to donate.

Thanks for sharing. I sure understand the hesitation to make the effort only to be turned away. This is exactly what happened in an instance for my own family, and the donor who was refused by the Red Cross was able to donate at the hospital, same day.

Each place has their guidelines, and some are outdated. Blood pressure medications are not a excluding factor in donating, at least by the American Red Cross. http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood/eligibility-requirements/eligibility-criteria-alphabetical-listing

In some instances, donors have been able to make a donation and the user's family picked up the blood and took it to the hospital. We did that in Leyte, getting some blood from Tacloban and bringing it to the other side of Leyte.

Paul

^

fallonwm

Hi

Met Michael today - 4 July.

He's home in Argao and doing better

He is still in need of one more operation but the doctors want additional blood

So if you know anyone who could donate, please see the telephone number in this thread

Thanks

• Like 1