Sign in to follow this  
Paul

URGENT: A- (Rh Negative) Blood Needed

Paul
A German national is very ill and in need of A Negative blood.

He is was admitted to South Gen Hospital in Naga City.

His name is Michael Maentele.

He has lived in Argao for 17 years.

He and his wife run a small sari sari store in Looc Argao

Please help. Contact 09231755689

• Like 8

bounder

I am curious as to how successful these requests are? 

I remember when I was but a wee child that they would broadcast a need for AB- blood on the television during regular programming.  Yet, I have always wondered how successful they were at getting people to donate. 

I donated whole blood for twenty years and then platelets for another twenty years before my veins told me enough!

In the states you could just get in your car and drive down the highway, but in the PH, you may have to cross islands to provide for the person in desperate need.  Still, if it would not be too much trouble, could you answer the above question.

Oh yes, and I really admire this service you provide.  It is good that this forum cares about others and ready to share the alert and need when necessary.  Keep up the good work Paul.

• Like 1

USMC-Retired

Paul has been very successful getting people to donate.  There is also a Yahoo Group that sends these requests out.  It is one of the biggest positives to the LINC.  

• Like 4

Headshot

I am curious as to how successful these requests are? 

I have always wondered how successful they were at getting people to donate.In the states you could just get in your car and drive down the highway, but in the PH, you may have to cross islands to provide for the person in desperate need.  Still, if it would not be too much trouble, could you answer the above question.

When I had Dengue Fever in December, the doctor told me I might need blood transfusions, and I got volunteers by making a request through LinC Forums. Luckily, my blood counts bounced back up before I went totally critical, and I never had to have a transfusion, but the members (and their wives) here are pretty good about giving. You do have to remember, though, that a lot of our members are on medications, or have had diseases, that preclude them from giving blood, so not everybody can volunteer, but there are still those who will. It helps if you have developed real relationships where people actually know you rather than just know your screen name. When I read of members who shun friendships with other expats (even LinC Forums members), I have to wonder how they would fare in such an emergency.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 8

USMC-Retired

When I had Dengue Fever in December, the doctor told me I might need blood transfusions, and I got volunteers by making a request through LinC Forums. Luckily, my blood counts bounced back up before I went totally critical, and I never had to have a transfusion, but the members (and their wives) here are pretty good about giving. You do have to remember, though, that a lot of our members are on medications, or have had diseases, that preclude them from giving blood, so not everybody can volunteer, but there are still those who will. It helps if you have developed real relationships where people actually know you rather than just know your screen name. When I read of members who shun friendships with other expats (even LinC Forums members), I have to wonder how they would fare in such an emergency.

I forgot I had to use this also when my wife was in the hospital she needed a transfusion.   

• Like 1

Enuff

It helps if you have developed real relationships where people actually know you rather than just know your screen name. When I read of members who shun friendships with other expats (even LinC Forums members), I have to wonder how they would fare in such an emergency.

I agree,just another reason to consider attending the LinC Sick Children's Fund Charity Bash on Sunday 4/24

You have a chance to assist in saving a child's life, having a great time and possibly meet the member who can save your life!

• Like 6

slim

I lost all my donor's contact number due to my cell got stolen, sometimes if you ask the right person in the blood bank ,Red cross and any hospital's they do give thier donor's phone number, hope someone in this site can help.

hitman

Just had an older friend  hospitalized last week and he too needed 4 pints minimum of A- blood.

And even though our circle of friends number appx 100, only 2 friends were A- and they contributed. There may have been more and possibly they chose not to but I'm speculating.

We had to drive around, make dozens of phone calls until after 2 days of searching we found 2 more volunteers.

Apparently A- is not common. What's odd is I was typed at that hospital, was O+, and I offered to give for whomever needed it but they said they don't store blood there so they didn't take my offer.  Oh well.

Edited by hitman

Jawny

I had a family member recently diagnosed with dengue fever and was prescribed platelet transfusions. From that experience, I came to understand the value of using a group, of any type, to get donations. The process of getting blood products ihere s really messed up, especially in the provinces.

We found a few willing donators (but this included a payment to them so they were actually selling us their blood products). The first go was with the Red Cross. That has the benefit of being less expensive as the only cost (aside from the donor's fee) is the administrative costs. So, cheaper yes, but bureaucratic. The Red Cross only accepts donations during certain hours and is very restrictive in who is eligible to donate. So, of four donors, only three qualified. Incidentally, the doctor had ordered that twelve units be obtained.

The order was for platelets, which requires time to process. If it is just whole blood, then the process is quick. Platelets are extracted from the blood which is returned to the donor as part of the process. Not a big deal, but when time is critical, then this delay can mess things up. Worse, the nurses insisted the donors had eaten within three hours of donating, so they had to go eat and then wait. I think the Red Cross should rename itself to "Red Cross Tape".

The Red Cross does their screening in batches, so it was late in the night before the blood products were available to the family. Then, the stuff goes to the hospital where the blood products are then screened once again. All the while the dengue patient is getting sicker.

The donors left to donate blood (by bus) at noon. It was 3:00AM when the platelets were given to the patient.

A simpler process is to use the hospital to draw the blood and screen it. That is, if they are equipped and staff is on duty. Sounds reasonable, but don't count on it. As well, the cost for the blood is triple the administrative fee charged by the Red Cross.

We were able to get more donors lined up. The entire process started on a Saturday, so it wasn't until Tuesday before we could get more donors found. Some of these donors found us. Within a short time of admission, staff at the hospital knew which blood type was needed and people were showing up to sell their donation. We ended up negotiating prices.

This process may be easier in a larger city. In Leyte, it sucks.

MikeC

Coming in April 21st, I assume that is too late. 

Alfred E. Neuman

A-

Anyone?

snt mig

am  A Rh negative.. I would be happy to donate here in Dumaguete...BUT, since I am 68,the Red Cross will not allow... If there was a way/\.......????

TheWhiteKnight

Do they disqualify your for having ever visited a lady of the night?

bounder

I know that as soon as I stepped off the jet in Manila, the American Red Cross said I could not donate for twelve months after I returned to the states..