Sign in to follow this  
to_dave007

Playing Russian Roulette, and Losing, in Cebu

Skywalker

The terrible sadness is that there is a child involved.  And if this person goes back to Canada, another foreigner sired child will be abandoned.  Makes my blood boil.

• Like 6

woodchopper

a lot of people develop "old timers" way b4 the rest of the population,,thats a consideration.

hell,,u could go whacky just living here at an early age,,,,,,,,, :yahoo:

Davaoeno

He refused help when it was offered, and refused to listen to reason. The best thing you could do now that the shit has hit the fan is refuse to listen or help in any way. He knew what he was doing, let him do it.

Some people live live styles that we all know are bad for them, but they do it anyway.  They overeat, they dont exercise enough, they smoke and some drink to excess . So when they get sick and need help with the hospital bills should we just abandon them and say " well, i told you so ! " ???

• Like 1

jtmwatchbiz

I dont understand why you are taking such a hard approach with this guy .

you're right.  since we have just learned he is also now willing to be a dead beat dad things are looking up.  

• Like 6

Skywalker

They overeat, they dont exercise enough, they smoke and some drink to excess . So when they get sick and need help with the hospital bills should we just abandon them and say " well, i told you so ! " ???

YES!  Absolutely.  They exercised their right to live the way they choose, I exercise my right to tell them they are idiots AND I TOLD YOU SO.

Happy now?   :coffee:  :pity:

• Like 2

Davaoeno

A thought - if the Canadian government finds out that he has been receiving benefits for years that he was not allowed to legally get they might require him to pay all of those benefits back- before he gets more [ even if he is living in Canada]

I have no knowledge in this matter tho

• Like 1

Skywalker

A thought - if the Canadian government finds out that he has been receiving benefits for years that he was not allowed to legally get they might require him to pay all of those benefits back- before he gets more [ even if he is living in Canada]

Wouldn't they need a fraud conviction to win that?

Davaoeno

Wouldn't they need a fraud conviction to win that?

I dont think so .  After all, they are the GOVERNMENT!!!    Mostly they make decisions and its up to you to appeal the decision.

• Like 1

Humboldt

for the kids sake man, contact the Canadian Embassy...

if for nothing else...the welfare of the child!!!

I wonder if the kid will ever step foot in Canada , if so its a long and windy road to get there

Maybe he can use child for leverage with the ex-wife to help-out

But if he's to stupid to help himself , I have little hope for the child ..

Edited by SkyMan

Buko Beach

Another point being that if he was residing in Canada, the pension and other payments would be higher, so YOU are better off with him being in Phils.

Incorrect. One of the conditions to get the disability pension is he reside in Canada which he has not done. He left Canada and is in the Philippines. So tell me again how the payments would be any higher? The Government agency responsible clearly doesn't know he left, and for the past decade have been direct depositing his disability pension into his bank account as if he was still residing in Canada.

The Guy is obviously mentally handicapped, he needs a firm hand not a smack across the head IMO.

Also according to the Canadian Gov website, to claim a disability, you must have paid into the tax system enough credits to make you eligible, so your snide comment about his possible non paying of tax is not true!

It depends on how much he has paid into the system when (or if) he was working. If he never worked a day in his life he would still be eligible for Provincial benefits but the amount would vary depending on what Province he was from, as every Province has separate rules and different amounts they pay out.

Like I previously mentioned, Canada has very liberal social benefits. The current core of taxpayers work hard to pay for the rest of Canadians who are unable, unwilling or too old or sick to work. The tax rates for the core taxpayers are often close to 60% of all income earned once you factor in things like 15% sales tax (GST/HST/VAT). I pay with the full knowledge that (hopefully) one day someone else would step up to the plate and do the same for me when I'm too old or sick to work. I pay without hesitation or ill will, although every time I hear about people scamming the system I begin to rethink my position.

What I can't stand are the people amongst us who are gaming the system. They sit back and laugh at the rest of us who have to work harder just so they can get a free ride. I'm in my mid- 40's and would LOVE to retire to the Philippines, but I'm in Canada working my ass off to be able to retire comfortably one day off in the future. May be I'm the idiot for working hard instead of gaming the system, but at the end of the day I'm doing what I need to do for myself and for my family.

He claims to be unable to work, but has no problem drinking all day. If he can sit on a barstool and order drinks, if he can function well enough to drive a motorcycle in the Philippines (that can be a challenge even in the Province) so don't tell me he is that disabled that he couldn't get some kind of job back in Canada and be productive.

So if my comments seem harsh (or snide) to you, that's because you're not the one paying for the drunken disabled guy's holiday in the Philippines. Are you? I do not begrudge anyone who is legitimately disabled, but where I'm from most of the legit disabled are the ones wanting to get out there and work.

• Like 7

SmokyMtnRon

Just for information:

This card serves as a re-entry permit, emigration clearance certificate and special return certificate. Once you have paid the correct fees for these the chip in the card will be updated accordingly. It does not replace your passport however, you still need a valid passport with your visa stamp to legally stay in the Philippines.

ANNUAL REPORT

How to apply?

Present original ACR I-Card or paper-based ACR, passport visa page of latest arrival and official receipts of previous Annual Report payment.

Secure the Order of Payment Slip.

Pay the required immigration fees.

Get the Official Receipt.

• Like 1

Loki88

Seems like in the 9 or so years he inherited the  Filipino "Live for today, tomorrow will take care of itself" attitude... oh well, go home and face the music or do nothing, live in rags and die a premature death

• Like 4

to_dave007

This is exactly why one must have a plan. If not, they must be resourceful enough to get an income from another source, or sources, to continue living.

There's a young Swiss man, in his late 30's, who lives about 17 km north of me just north of Tabuelan town with his wife and daughter.  His initial nest egg when he arrived is nearly gone, but it built house and business at the front of his house (sari-sari and restaurant), and he and his family live on the 20,000 peso a month their business generates.  Slowly month by month they build stock, and invest to improve their business, and slowly month by month their income goes up.

And each week they carefully bank every excess peso they can, not knowing yet what they will do with it, but knowing that those savings will create opportunities in the months and years to come. And the last time I saw him he told me how much he enjoyed his life.  Not surprised, as he always seems infectiously enthusiastic.

So it CAN be done..  with hard work and discipline.  I agree Paul.

This certainly will apply to any foreigner who comes to a foreign land, without having some sort of plan, or without being able to create some sort of way to continue. 

Absolutely true..  that's why I created this thread.  As I see this drama play out with my friend, and as I wonder help, if any, my wife and I should offer..

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 3

to_dave007

And if this person goes back to Canada, another foreigner sired child will be abandoned.

Not strictly true.

My friends wife is in her late 30's, and was educated as a civil engineer at one of the better Cebu universities..  such as they are.. I think San Carlos but not sure.  But I don't think she actually worked as a civil engineer after graduation.  But with her husbands help..  financial help..  and support, she went back to school to get her teaching credentials, and she IS employed today as part time teacher (civil engineering related), and is trying to pass board exam. She earns 12,000 net now..  and they goes up step by step as she bumps up her credentials.

But the income she has NOW..  is largely a result of her husbands help.

Not perfect.. I know..  but better than nothing.

• Like 2