Sign in to follow this  
to_dave007

Playing Russian Roulette, and Losing, in Cebu

shadow

He is on valid 13A visa.  Not sure if it's temporary or permanent, but it's valid.  He is not an over stayer.

No

If he does not have a valid passport, how can he have a valid visa? Does not add up.

• Like 6

to_dave007

If he does not have a valid passport, how can he have a valid visa? Does not add up.

I THOUGHT he received his 13A before passport expired..  but now your comment makes me less certain.  I'm 90% sure his passport is expired (but I did not check it).. and I know he's well through the 13A process.  I know he's not been back to Canada since he first arrived.

Edited by to_dave007

woodchopper

usually gotta have 6months on a passport for visa reasons?

• Like 1

Humboldt

Cigarettes in Canada cost 10 bucks a pack two packs a day equals 600 bucks a month

how much is his disability ?  

in the phils about 1 dollar? not sure don't smoke , but if he has zero income he's going to be hurting for certain

sounds like there will be a motorcycle for sale cheap ..

• Like 1

woodchopper

that might be an option for cash to get him out under "his own steam"? SELL IT

• Like 1

to_dave007

he's still making payments on it.

They'll re-possess it one day.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 1

SkyMan
What will I do?

You already did about all you could telling him to straighten it out.  

I don't mind a one time helping hand..  But his problem (and make no mistake I KNOW it's HIS problem not mine) is permanent.  It's not going away in a week or a month or even a year.  He will NEVER get another pension payment.

You sound smart enough to not become this guy's welfare system.  Any money you give him will only delay whatever  is the eventual outcome so it's only making the situation worse.  If he refuses to return to Canada there is not much you can do.  it may sound harsh but this is the best you could do for him:

1.  Offer to contact the Canadian Embassy to get him a trip back.

2.  If that doesn't work, wait a month and don't give him any money.

3.  Repeat 1 & 2.

4.  If after 2 months he's all but certainly and overstayer, report him to the BI.

Just saw where you posted he's on a 13A but if passport is expired, the BI would take him.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 6

Humboldt

Best you keep him away from the 3rd floor Ayala Mall..

Edited by Humboldt
  • Like 1

billy

Does he have a valid Canadian passport? I would assume that if he hasn't been back to Canada in almost a decade (you mentioned 9+ years), that his passport might be expired. It was only within the last few years the Canadian Government started to give citizens the option to choose a passport valid for 10 years, before that it was 5yrs.So if he's in the Philippines on an expired passport, did he keep his visa up to date? Something tells me he's in the Philippines illegally, since all he seems to care about is cashing his cheque, and blowing it.As a Canadian citizen I am outraged that scumbags (yah I said it!) are allowed to live overseas on my tax dollar, although I'm not surprised. Canada has a very generous social program system so abuse is bound to happen. I just find it sad that it took so damn long to cut his ass off.Personally I wouldn't piss on this guy if he was on fire. The OP knows him personally so he feels responsible and is willing to help him out, which is admiral, but after being warned for years to do something about his disability situation he chose to stick his head in the sand and now the day has come when he faces the reality of being penniless.I think the best possible situation for this guy (if he is an over-stayer) is for someone to report him. That way he gets a roof over his head, food to eat and let BoI get in contact with the Canadian Embassy to figure a way to get him back to Canada.

If hes genuinley disabled then he deserves to collect a pension from his country as a taxpayer. Fuk those rules hes suppose to live there. In the US they still want to tax you if you live overseas so the opposite should work also.

• Like 8

SkyMan

The only thing you need a passport for once you have the permanent 13A is renewing your ACR-I card.  Once the ACR-I card expires you can no longer do an AR so I would imagine his passport and ACR-I card are expired and he hasn't done an AR in a long time.  However, I believe ACR/ICR under older 13As didn't expire?  Also, the only problem requirement in renewing an ACR-I is you need a photocopy of the bio page of the passport and that would be easy enough to alter the dates on there.  And there's also no reason he didn't renew his passport.

usually gotta have 6months on a passport for visa reasons?

That requirement is only for entering the country and doesn't apply to permanent residents.  Once in the country it only needs to remain valid and they really don't know if it does expire.  If anyone asks you can just say it was stolen and you're applying for a new one.

• Like 2

Buko Beach

If hes genuinley disabled then he deserves to collect a pension from his country as a taxpayer. Fuk those rules hes suppose to live there.

Pension? ? ? The guy is roughly 50yrs old, and has been in the Philippines for almost a decade which would mean he was 40ish when he arrived. Seems to me he didn't pay all that much tax in his life, if at all.

So I'm the taxpayer who supports him. I just wish he was cut off long ago. He got a free ride for far too long.

In the US they still want to tax you if you live overseas so the opposite should work also.

Read this.

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/93040-anyone-familiar-with-us-foreign-earned-income-exclusion/

Edited by Buko Beach
  • Like 3

SkyMan

One other thing I thought of you might try.  Contact the Canadian disability authority and discuss the situation.  Give them his name and tell them he's not dead and explain in your words his mental and financial situation.  They probably won't discuss his information at all but might listen to what you have to say.  It may be they have avenues of assistance or other suggestions.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 6

shadow

And there's also no reason he didn't renew his passport.

I will assume from this that you have first hand knowledge that we are not privy to. How else could you know this?

• Like 3

woodchopper

an aussie guy was here recently,,i was asked to intervene due to his lack of "whatever"!

i contacted aust centrelink via the tasmanian head department  (international)

a quiet sincere talk b4hand with the staff member by me precluded a happy ending for all (my layman's opinion and mention of dementia or alsymers worked wonders,,in my opinion?)

a sincere chat with a touch of humility thrown in appeals to a lot of departmental people,,in my opinion

Edited by woodchopper
  • Like 4

RogerDuMond

I THOUGHT he received his 13A before passport expired..  but now your comment makes me less certain.  I'm 90% sure his passport is expired (but I did not check it).. and I know he's well through the 13A process.  I know he's not been back to Canada since he first arrived.

Depending on where he is in the 13A process, he may not be able to complete it since he is estranged from his wife.

jtmwatchbiz

Great.. that's two posts now and I think you've firmly and fully described your opinion on the matter. I don't really mind because in many ways I agree with you. But I don't think you should try too hard to find new ways to say the same things again and again. So unless you have something NEW to offer perhaps you've said enough now.

i and others in this thread could give you the same advice.  you keep going on about how helpless and disabled YOU believe he is but most here aren't buying it.  the guy survived 9+ years making his own decisions and his only problem of late is no more tax payers' funded free ride.  if Canada chose to cut him off and as you say he will never get disability again then Canada has made their decision and it sure seems a valid one at that.  

• Like 3

samatm

How estranged is the estranged wife?   Maybe she can help him get back to the Great White North.

Edited by samatm

RogerDuMond

How estranged is the estranged wife?   Maybe she can help him get back to the Great White North.

What is the chance of her having any money?

• Like 3

Wolfpack

looking at the title, I was really expecting...well, something about russian roulette being played in cebu...

reading about the mess your friend is in...it sounds like a very serious situation...no joke, keep him away from high buildings as someone mentioned...

I think best thing to do is contact his embassy...if he won't...because if he won't...I question his ability to make decisions for himself...that are in his best interests...

it really sounds to me like he is lacking basic mental capacity to survive on his own at this point...

• Like 2

Headshot

He is on valid 13A visa.  Not sure if it's temporary or permanent, but it's valid.  He is not an over stayer.

No [valid passport]

If he doesn't have a valid passport, then he doesn't have a valid 13A visa either. You must take a valid passport in for the annual report, and if you fail to go for the annual report, it invalidates your 13A visa. Also, a 13A visa isn't any good in an invalid passport. The new passport must be stamped with a 13A visa when the passport is replaced due to the old passport expiring. Once a 13A visa becomes invalid, you automatically go back to the tourist visa.

So, sorry. Your friend IS an over-stayer at this point because he allowed his passport to expire. He also can't get work in a call center here unless he has a valid passport. Therefore, he really only has one route left, and that is to get picked up by BI, and eventually be sent back to Canada. In the process, he will spend some time in a BI detention cell, and when they do send him back to Canada, he will be barred from entering the Philippines again ... which is probably for his own good.

• Like 4

to_dave007

One other thing I thought of you might try.  Contact the Canadian disability authority and discuss the situation.  Give them his name and tell them he's not dead and explain in your words his mental and financial situation.  They probably won't discussed his information at all but might listen to what you have to say.  It may be they have avenues of assistance or other suggestions.

I've considered doing exactly this.  I've discussed it with him, and he refuses to allow me to.  Like I said this was frustrating as hell, especially when I was just a few km from their office in Canada.

to_dave007

How estranged is the estranged wife? 

They talk.  Far more civilly now that they don't live together.

What is the chance of her having any money?

She takes home about 12,000 peso a month, which will go up if she passes the board exam.  She cares for 2 kids, one of them his.  She's not broke, but not loaded either.

Depending on where he is in the 13A process, he may not be able to complete it since he is estranged from his wife.

They are on again off again..  repeatedly.  She goes with him to BI out of sympathy I think.  But she does go.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 1

Wolfpack

They talk.  Far more civilly now that they don't live together.

She takes home about 12,000 peso a month, which will go up if she passes the board exam.  She cares for 2 kids, one of them his.  She's not broke, but not loaded either.

They are on again off again..  repeatedly.  She goes with him to BI out of sympathy I think.  But she does go.

for the kids sake man, contact the Canadian Embassy...

if for nothing else...the welfare of the child!!!

• Like 3