Sign in to follow this  
to_dave007

Playing Russian Roulette, and Losing, in Cebu

Humboldt

I get the feeling he has over stayed his visa ,

cuz he's not good at fallowing rules ?

if that's the case what would it cost him to exit the country ?

• Like 5

rainymike

Odds are the guy is having mental problems. Although it seems that he is making conscious choices, I'm guessing he's just not in control and doesn't or can't or doesn't want to understand the situation he's in. Not sure what anyone is responsible for doing in such a case. His safety net doesn't exist in this country. As we all age, we are more prone to mental problems. Some get it sooner than others. It's a reality for anyone even if your mind is perfectly clear right now. 

Should be part of your plan living here. Not many options for care beyond the immediate family you might have. And even then, it's rough because as you're losing it, there's a good chance you'll alienate those closest to you. 

Good luck to him. He'll need it.

• Like 4

Buko Beach

Does he have a valid Canadian passport? I would assume that if he hasn't been back to Canada in almost a decade (you mentioned 9+ years), that his passport might be expired. It was only within the last few years the Canadian Government started to give citizens the option to choose a passport valid for 10 years, before that it was 5yrs.

So if he's in the Philippines on an expired passport, did he keep his visa up to date? Something tells me he's in the Philippines illegally, since all he seems to care about is cashing his cheque, and blowing it.

As a Canadian citizen I am outraged that scumbags (yah I said it!) are allowed to live overseas on my tax dollar, although I'm not surprised. Canada has a very generous social program system so abuse is bound to happen. I just find it sad that it took so damn long to cut his ass off.

Personally I wouldn't piss on this guy if he was on fire. The OP knows him personally so he feels responsible and is willing to help him out, which is admiral, but after being warned for years to do something about his disability situation he chose to stick his head in the sand and now the day has come when he faces the reality of being penniless.

I think the best possible situation for this guy (if he is an over-stayer) is for someone to report him. That way he gets a roof over his head, food to eat and let BoI get in contact with the Canadian Embassy to figure a way to get him back to Canada.

• Like 9

woodchopper
I think the best possible situation for this guy (if he is an over-stayer) is for someone to report him. That way he gets a roof over his head, food to eat and let BoI get in contact with the Canadian Embassy to figure a way to get him back to Canada. Like This Top Selective Quote Quote MultiQuote Thanks

and or turn himself in?

maybe a safer way for O.P. to proceed after a long talk with the bloke himself?

Edited by woodchopper

rainymike

One other off the wall thought. If you've read or seen One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, you might realize that some people would view the 'safety net' (i.e. institutionalization back home as a worse outcome than meeting your maker in the Philippines).

• Like 5

Buko Beach

and or turn himself in?

maybe a safer way for O.P. to proceed after a long talk with the bloke himself?

Pleeeease, the guy can't even bring himself to "man up" and get in contact with the disability office back in Canada.

If he's an over-stayer there's zero chance the guy turns himself in. All he has left is his 'lifestyle' in the Philippines. Turning himself in means all that comes to an end too, and he has to face reality.

• Like 2

woodchopper

several ways to go about this,,if he dont realise for his own good,,which is highly likely,,then i would tell him the outcome and do it for his own eventual good!

its elementary 1 can die of starvation or associated health issues,,here in this country

Edited by woodchopper

smokey

Odds are the guy is having mental problems. Although it seems that he is making conscious choices, I'm guessing he's just not in control and doesn't or can't or doesn't want to understand the situation he's in. Not sure what anyone is responsible for doing in such a case. His safety net doesn't exist in this country. As we all age, we are more prone to mental problems. Some get it sooner than others. It's a reality for anyone even if your mind is perfectly clear right now. 

Should be part of your plan living here. Not many options for care beyond the immediate family you might have. And even then, it's rough because as you're losing it, there's a good chance you'll alienate those closest to you. 

Good luck to him. He'll need it.

that makes every drunk and every drugie a out of their control mental problem , stubborn seems more  to his feelings on life .. you know what they call welfare for people with NO children ... Crazy Pay because a person is crazy to go to work for the same amount they can get by staying home  ,,, face the music is the only way the guy has ..

• Like 5

to_dave007

your friend has demonstrated his attitude to life mate,,if you do the "right thing",i would make sure its in the form of a ticket you purchased for him,,NON REFUNDABLE?

his injuries may well have exacerbated his attitude eh? a sympathetic response in Canada may well be forthcoming? (i know and knew several in "similar boats")

Thanks for the "non refundable" suggestion..  Good point. Though I think the chance to get him on a plane is near zero.

Canada would not let him starve..  if he was in Canada.

Sounds like he might have some mental health issues.

Agree.  He does.  I'm positive that his injuries make it impossible for him to make decisions in a rational way, or understand the consequences in time of his action or inaction today.  He always seems permanently like a deer in the headlights...  incapable to get himself to move..

He has only one option, return to Canada and try to make amends.

That's what I think as well.

He refused help when it was offered, and refused to listen to reason. The best thing you could do now that the shit has hit the fan is refuse to listen or help in any way. He knew what he was doing, let him do it.

Can't tell you how many times I said EXACTLY the same thing to myself about the guy.  Still saying it today.

I get the feeling he has over stayed his visa

He is on valid 13A visa.  Not sure if it's temporary or permanent, but it's valid.  He is not an over stayer.

Does he have a valid Canadian passport?

No

Edited by to_dave007

iJohnDR
"Playing Russian Roulette, and Losing, in Cebu"

your title is misleading,,.

I really thought.... gangs, maffia, corrupt politicians and police are involved..death and violence..in gangsterland CEBU...

You are giving "Russian Roulette" and "Cebu"..a bad name..

All along its about a retard stubborn donkey from canada ...

Title should have been "Retard stubborn donkey from Canada"

Edited by iJohnDR
  • Like 7

shadow

He is on valid 13A visa.  Not sure if it's temporary or permanent, but it's valid.  He is not an over stayer.

No

If he does not have a valid passport, how can he have a valid visa? Does not add up.

• Like 6

to_dave007

If he does not have a valid passport, how can he have a valid visa? Does not add up.

I THOUGHT he received his 13A before passport expired..  but now your comment makes me less certain.  I'm 90% sure his passport is expired (but I did not check it).. and I know he's well through the 13A process.  I know he's not been back to Canada since he first arrived.

Edited by to_dave007

woodchopper

usually gotta have 6months on a passport for visa reasons?

• Like 1

Humboldt

Cigarettes in Canada cost 10 bucks a pack two packs a day equals 600 bucks a month

how much is his disability ?  

in the phils about 1 dollar? not sure don't smoke , but if he has zero income he's going to be hurting for certain

sounds like there will be a motorcycle for sale cheap ..

• Like 1

woodchopper

sounds like there will be a motorcycle for sale cheap ..

that might be an option for cash to get him out under "his own steam"? SELL IT

• Like 1