Sign in to follow this  
to_dave007

Playing Russian Roulette, and Losing, in Cebu

to_dave007

I admire you for being the friend you have been, through this all.

Right now Paul I am not FEELING like much of a friend.

This is not a fairy tale.  There is no "living happily ever after" ending to this story in sight.

I started this thread as a warning to those who come to PI expecting to live out their lives, but without a sustainable financial plan to support their new life.  Anyone reading this can see where this is likely headed by now.  If you don't have a pension, or a big bank account, or wealthy family or sponsor to send money, you'd better be prepared to live as cheaply as a local, AND find some way to make enough money to survive.  Lots of people do it.

And if you DON'T have an adequate sustainable financial plan perhaps you'll end up where my friend is.

I take no pleasure in seeing him struggle now..  in seeing him reach out to ALL the possible saviours.. myself included. and in having to say "no"..  As others have done before, including members of his own family, I have started to distance myself from HIS (!!) financial issues, even as I know that this will simply deepen the isolation he already feels. 

His mother has limited means to help.. She is already still paying off debt that she incurred when he was last in Canada nearly a decade ago.  I don't agree with her giving her son money, but I will not intervene in that.  I've already said my piece to both mother and son.

I'll do what I can to see if the disability payments can be resurrected. I suspect he's burned that bridge.

He will eventually run out of money, and friends, and options.

He will eventually be one of the foreign casualties here in PI.

I sincerely appreciate all the comments here, even from those I normally don't get along with.  Thanks to all of you.  I would especially like to thank Shadow for the comments that made me think the most, and which have had the most impact in how I plan my own actions.

Moderators....  Please lock this thread.  It's served it's purpose.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 8

jtmwatchbiz

And this is a good example of fascism which ignores the Universal Declaration of Human Rights which states in article 13 "and that a citizen also has the right to leave any country, including his own," 

yes art you are right...if the citizen can pick up the tab and pay for his own indulgences and mistakes overseas.. 

• Like 2

jtmwatchbiz
Take responsibility for yourself thats the lesson in this thread. But what do you do when things are so fecked that a person is unable to do that?

the prisons of the world are full of people like that. 

many many inmates are obviously mentally imbalanced and can't control their own behavior.  many are blatantly suffering from severe physical and psychological problems that negatively effect their ability to make decisions for themselves...be it brain damage, retardation, chemical imbalances, abused and traumatized as a child, etc etc etc.  the list goes on and on.  unfortunately suffering from one of these impairments doesn't always qualify as an excuse to avoid the consequences of their actions.  if this guy the OP is speaking of was THAT certifiably screwed in the head then he wouldn't have the Canadian criminal record and gone thru the prison stints he amassed.  obviously Canada decided he should face the consequences of his behavior and in this current situation the OP may have to come to the same decision.  

Edited by jtmwatchbiz
  • Like 3

Art

Prison also has people in it who want it now and don't have the patience to wait.  Its called emotional intelligence, the ability to delay gratification to obtain a better reward, like saving for a car instead of stealing one.  If this guy has no emotional intelligence then he is stuffed the Philippines has no safety net if you have no money, as people keep saying money is king here.  The ones who seem to survive in the Philippines are the disciplined ones who know how to sacrifice or delay their gratification to get a better benefit.  The ones who need their alcohol, smokes or other consumables now just use up their resources until there is nothing or no one left.   

• Like 3

woodchopper

The ones who need their alcohol, smokes or other consumables now just use up their resources until there is nothing or no one left.   

any person can do that and still have a useable brain,,,,i practise that! (we all do mostly)

this bloke is just a "self loser",,and the OP should "click" on this b4 it impacts his own life,,,some blokes just come here with unintentional self destruction,,shit happens eh?

• Like 1

Art

any person can do that and still have a useable brain,,,,i practise that! (we all do mostly)

Its not clear to me if you mean you have emotional intelligence and can put off something for a while or if you don't have it but have renewable resources like a pension etc to feed your needs and don't need to delay any consumerable?

woodchopper
Its not clear to me if you mean you have emotional intelligence and can put off something for a while or if you don't have it but have renewable resources like a pension etc to feed your needs and don't need to delay any consumerable?

i spoke it like it is,,if u refer to a bloke smoking and drinking himself to death or inability to maintain enough $ to sustain himself,,or make decisions to avoid same,,thats a loser,,CANT BE HELPED

Edited by woodchopper

Art

I was meaning the guy who has $20 left and blows it on smokes and drinks because he can't delay his need for them so ends up with no money left for food.   I didn't mean someone who drinks or smokes himself to death over a long period of time or who runs out of money eventually thats another issue.  I meant some don't have the emotional intelligence to delay a need for a cigaretter or drink in order to buy food so they can survive another day.   From the information given this guy seems to not have any emotional intelligence so finds himself in jail occasionally or in trouble of some sort or having no food or shelter as it looks like.    If he gets his mother's money will he use it wisely or just consume it until he is in the hole again?

• Like 1

SkyMan

Thread locked per OP.

• Like 1

Paul

Thread locked per OP.