Sign in to follow this  
to_dave007

Playing Russian Roulette, and Losing, in Cebu

USMC-Retired

They actually think he is Dead.   Has he even called them...  However he was breaking the rules so it is hard to feel anything towards this guy.   

• Like 4

HeyMike

Something similar happened to a friend of mine who was collecting SSD from the States and was not suppose to live in another country. He got found out and the SSD was stopped. I paid for a plane ticket to get him back to the States where he ended up going to court for a number of things. It seems the court forgave a lot of things and my friend is now back to collecting his SSD in the States. He is genuinely disabled.

• Like 2

to_dave007

Something similar happened to a friend of mine who was collecting SSD from the States and was not suppose to live in another country. He got found out and the SSD was stopped. I paid for a plane ticket to get him back to the States where he ended up going to court for a number of things. It seems the court forgave a lot of things and my friend is now back to collecting his SSD in the States. He is genuinely disabled.

My train wreck friend is genuinely disabled as well.. Injuries, including head injuries, from many years ago.

I have no doubt that he is unemployable.  And if he were to go back he'd be back on the disability pension and likely several other state sponsored programs as well, and would end up costing the state much more than he did in PI.

I researched it and even the program that he was on has a "special circumstance" provision, which leads me to believe he COULD have got permission to take it out of the country, IF he had asked properly, and IF he offered reasonable ways for them to confirm that he's still alive each year.  But he refused my help over several years, even when I was back in Canada and just 5 km from the office which managed his file.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 1

HeyMike

I guess the best thing would be for you friend to go back to Canada and correct the problem. It may take some doing, but I do not see that he has a choice if he wants to survive.

• Like 3

to_dave007

yes you're right.  anyone his relatively young age who could smoke two packs of cigs a day, guzzle coffee and ride a motorcycle should not be required to work like the rest of the responsible citizens. 

Great..  that's two posts now and I think you've firmly and fully described your opinion on the matter. I don't really mind because in many ways I agree with you.  But I don't think you should try too hard to find new ways to say the same things again and again.  So unless you have something NEW to offer perhaps you've said enough now.

I didn't start this thread to create a place to debate the morality or correctness of my friends behavior.  I posted this in the Living in Cebu area as a warning to those who do NOT make adequate or sustainable financial plans.  I want to paint as VIVID a picture as I can of what it means to become penniless in Cebu/.

So please..  enough with the "It serves the lazy bastard right" morality.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 9

woodchopper

your friend has demonstrated his attitude to life mate,,if you do the "right thing",i would make sure its in the form of a ticket you purchased for him,,NON REFUNDABLE?

his injuries may well have exacerbated his attitude eh? a sympathetic response in Canada may well be forthcoming? (i know and knew several in "similar boats")

• Like 1

the.lone.gunman

Sounds like he might have some mental health issues. I would try and get him home to Canada, he probably won't starve or die of neglect there.

USMC-Retired

For those that remember Seattle Dave and all his trials and tribulations here is a recent video of his ministry.  

This guy really lived in the Slums of Cebu.  I remember when he posted about getting Dengue fever.  

• Like 6

rizla

The saying "You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink" comes to mind. He has only one option, return to Canada and try to make amends.

• Like 1

shadow

He refused help when it was offered, and refused to listen to reason. The best thing you could do now that the shit has hit the fan is refuse to listen or help in any way. He knew what he was doing, let him do it.

• Like 9