Greetings from frozen Minnesota!

Hey everyone,

I'm George and I'm considering a move to the Philippines in the next couple of years. I'm a 42 year old single guy, ex US army.

I've considered (and am still considering) several places, but the Philippines is way out front at this point for several reasons:

It's warm.

It's cheap if you live a simple lifestyle, and I am all about living that way.

It has very reasonable visa regulations.

It's a great jumping off point to explore Asia, Australia and New Zealand (something I'm very keen to do).

It's warm.

It has an English speaking populace.

It appears to have a relatively tight expat community.

The locals are friendly.

Oh, and it's warm. Which Minnesota is definitely NOT at least six months out of the year.

I plan on supporting myself with a combination of my partial military disability and investments. I hope to use the information I find on this forum to determine if my plans are realistic.

My personal interests are homebrewing, DIY vacuum tube electronics and speaker building (I am an audiophile), gardening, fishing, hunting and motorcycling.

I am a coffee geek, PC gamer and all around nerd.

I've been hanging around for the past week or two and wanted to express my gratitude for this board and the information on it. I've been reading so many posts my eyeballs are going to fall out. It's been an education to be sure. I plan on doing a recon mission to Cebu sometime next year for at least a week if not two. I hope to meet some of you guys.

Until then, see you on the boards.

G

:lol:

Hi George and welcome.

DIY vacuum tube electronics

is something I can talk about all day long, and you will find a few other electronics enthusiast / hams here.

is something I can talk about all day long, and you will find a few other electronics enthusiast / hams here.

Sweet! I've also found some Filipino DIY audio enthusiasts on the audio geekery site I frequent.

Sweet! I've also found some Filipino DIY audio enthusiasts on the audio geekery site I frequent.

Is it just me or is it impossible to not like a guy who can say 'geekery' with a straight face?

Welcome to the wild world of Cebu!

Pete

twostrokes

Hi BHD,

I am also planning a trip to Cebu sometime late in 09. Another sparkey type huh....Has anyone ever noticed how

the philippines seems to attract those old farts and others with previous electronic/radio backgrouds?? I'm also retired from USNavy on disability. Was a radioman most of my 13.5 years active duty....

Jim

George, (et al) this may interest you:

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/inde...?showtopic=9317

(or perhaps not! lol)

Absolutely, I'm interested! I like the pics! It looks like you replaced some of the coupling caps with Wima Polypropylenes and some new wire wound resistors in there. I love working on vintage gear, but I've started building my own from scratch.

Check out www.diyaudio.com, I use the same moniker (BHD).

B)