Sign in to follow this  
miles-high

Guam, USA!

TheWhiteKnight

Does anyone there on Guam have any information on where to find a shop there which has Balikbayan box service and the cost of shipping a Balikbayan box here to the the Philippines?

I think I used lbc when I shipped my meager possessions from Guam to the RP (also shipped my electric keyboard). As I recall the cost was reasonable, $80 or so per box.

Look online, google balikbayan box shippers Guam. There's even Forex I see. (don't know why my font changed)

It's 80 bucks from California, what a rip :). Does it arrive a lot quicker?

Edited by Headshot

sugbu777

It's 80 bucks from California, what a rip :). Does it arrive a lot quicker?

LBC is $65.00 from Guam. That's for the largest box. The other shippers, UMAC and Forex run about the same price. Here's the catch though, your box still goes back to the west coast. The reason for this is the Jones Act. Sooooo your box actually takes longer from Guam than from the west coast. go figure.

• Like 4

TheWhiteKnight

LBC is $65.00 from Guam. That's for the largest box. The other shippers, UMAC and Forex run about the same price. Here's the catch though, your box still goes back to the west coast. The reason for this is the Jones Act. Sooooo your box actually takes longer from Guam than from the west coast. go figure.

iWKad22.jpg

MIDNITERIDER

I wouldn't like to give advice as where to live, as each person has their own preference. We live in southern Guam which is pretty much like living in the province in the Philippines. I don't pay rent. We own our home. No more payments, it's paid off. You need to go to one of the Guam MLS sites to find rentals. Plenty of them come up on Google. You can find rents as low as $600 and as high as $4000. Depends on where you want to live. If you need more convenience and don't mind living in a more heavily populated area, That would be in North Central to Northern areas, less populated, anywhere south of Agana, the capitol. Agana is a nice village though, There is enough convenience there and not as heavily populated as north.

BTW there are no cities, towns in Guam. They are all referred to as Villages.

Food is pricey. If you are not able to shop on base, here's an example for some staple prices in town on average: Milk: 6.99 gal, Bread: US brands: 4.00-6.00 a loaf, local baked: 2.50-4.00 a loaf, Cereal: 6.00 box, Eggs: 2.00 to 4.00 per dozen depending on grade/size. Rice: (50lbs) Calrose 25.00 - 28.00, Thai Jasmin 32.00-35.00. Gasoline: currently 3.40 gal. My last electric bill: $132.00 (two window type aircons running 24/7). Water: $25.50. no sewer bill as we have septic.

Still a better deal than Cebu if you ask me. In my rented condo I pay 13,000 PHP for power which is about $50 more than I paid in NYC so who cares but I'm sure everywhere else in SE Asia is cheaper than the bumblers here. I do enjoy the backup generators that we didn't have in private houses on Negros which are experiencing "brownouts" frequently now and for longer duration. I imagine Guam has similar problems for private housing.

I would be using the hell out of the military facilities so I'd be buffered from gas, food and most other prices. The Navy & USAF bases both have private beaches and MWR rental equipment. What's nice is that most US retailers do ship to Guam and the USPS doesn't charge international rates for packages. 

I saw that there's no "state tax" either since you only have to file the mandatory Federal return required anywhere you live on the globe. No sales tax in the PXs. Free shipping from the States from the online PX/NEXs may also be a good thing come to think of it. Can "ship to store" for free I'm sure. 

But one thing left to determine. I have to pay like 2-3k now for drinking water with the crowd I entertain here so is there potable water on Guam ? We'd leave the family behind ("whew") and can probably find another helper easily there. 

calasiaobound

so is there potable water on Guam ?

The tap water in Talofofo wasn't great.. You can drink it..won't make you sick..but i'd describe it as "hard water".

I tried boiling it, left a white film in the pot..

Id buy filtered water outside the mom and pop stores for $.30 a gallon..

Cook with it and drink

• Like 1

MIDNITERIDER

The tap water in Talofofo wasn't great.. You can drink it..won't make you sick..but i'd describe it as "hard water".

I tried boiling it, left a white film in the pot..

Id buy filtered water outside the mom and pop stores for $.30 a gallon..

Cook with it and drink

I see lol. "This (calcium carbonate) could be the white powder you have observed after evaporation. Hard water should not pose any health risks, and in fact can add some extra calcium and magnesium to your diet. If it's still concerning to you, there are hundreds of products available that can soften your water before you use it, just google "water softener" and you'll be overwhelmed."

http://chemistry.stackexchange.com/questions/4094/white-powder-observed-after-boiling-water-in-electric-kettle-for-many-weeks

http://www.englishforum.ch/housing-general/17787-z-rcher-oberland-hard-water.html

calasiaobound

I see lol. "This (calcium carbonate) could be the white powder you have observed after evaporation. Hard water should not pose any health risks, and in fact can add some extra calcium and magnesium to your diet. If it's still concerning to you, there are hundreds of products available that can soften your water before you use it, just google "water softener" and you'll be overwhelmed."[/size]

http://chemistry.stackexchange.com/questions/4094/white-powder-observed-after-boiling-water-in-electric-kettle-for-many-weeks

http://www.englishforum.ch/housing-general/17787-z-rcher-oberland-hard-water.html

Uh yeah.. Hence the whole "hard water" portion of my post ..n stuff.

Frankly don't like the flavor.. And preferred the mom and pop filtered stuff.

Dont Need Google to school me on hard water.. American advertising already done did that to me

• Like 1

Salty Dog

That's not the reason.

The Jones Act says foreign built or foreign flagged vessels are prohibited from engaging in coastwise trade within the US. In other words, a foreign vessel can carry cargo in and out of the US but not from a port within the US to another port in the US. 

There is no provision that says they can't sail from Guam to the Philippines. If they are telling people that, they are pulling their leg.

Thousands of foreign vessels carry cargo into and out of the US all the time and I assume Guam as well.

Where the Jones Act effects Guam is that except for certain exemptions, all cargo between the US and Guam, has to be on a U.S. Flagged vessel which cost much more than a foreign flagged vessel. Hence things shipped from the US cost so much more in Guam. 

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 2

sugbu777

That's not the reason.

The Jones Act says foreign built or foreign flagged vessels are prohibited from engaging in coastwise trade within the US. In other words, a foreign vessel can carry cargo in and out of the US but not from a port within the US to another port in the US. 

There is no provision that says they can't sail from Guam to the Philippines. If they are telling people that, they are pulling their leg.

Thousands of foreign vessels carry cargo into and out of the US all the time as well as Guam.

Where the Jones Act effects Guam is that except for certain exemptions, all cargo from the US going to Guam, has to be on a U.S. Flagged vessel which cost much more than a foreign flagged vessel. Hence things shipped from the US cost so much more in Guam.

The present Governor of Guam and previous Governors have been trying to get the Jones Act repealed for Guam for years. There are NO foreign flag commercial cargo vessels that come in to Guam.

The Jones Act has a specific effect upon noncontiguous parts of the US, such as Puerto Rico, Hawaii, Alaska, and Guam as it prevents foreign-flagged ships from carrying cargo between the mainland and these locations.

Foreign ships inbound with goods cannot stop any of these four locations, offload goods, load mainland-bound goods, and continue to U.S. mainland ports. Instead, they must proceed directly to U.S. mainland ports, where distributors break bulk and then send goods to US places off the mainland by U.S.-flagged ships.[

Edited by sugbu777

Salty Dog

The present Governor of Guam and previous Governors have been trying to get the Jones Act repealed for Guam for years. There are NO foreign flag commercial cargo vessels that come in to Guam.The Jones Act has a specific effect upon noncontiguous parts of the US, such as Puerto Rico, Hawaii, Alaska, and Guam as it prevents foreign-flagged ships from carrying cargo between the mainland and these locations.Foreign ships inbound with goods cannot stop any of these four locations, offload goods, load mainland-bound goods, and continue to U.S. mainland ports. Instead, they must proceed directly to U.S. mainland ports, where distributors break bulk and then send goods to US places off the mainland by U.S.-flagged ships.

You just repeated almost exactly what I said. I know about the problem with the Jones act and the non-contiguous states and territories.

Foreign vessels can carry cargo to Guam from SE Asia and return with cargo any time they want. If they don't it's probably because Guam doesn't have enough outbound cargo to SE Asia to make it profitable. It's an economic decision not a prohibition. Maybe they don't do it because it's more profitable to carry goods to and from the US mainland, but it's not because the Jones Act says they can't load a ship with cargo in Guam and ship it directly to the Philippines. They just can't load cargo in Guam and carry it to another US port.

Edited by Salty Dog

miles-high

Ours/our friend's experience so far (least expensive and/or fastest):

Autos: Guam <--> Long Beach <--> Honolulu
Furniture/household stuff: Guam <--> Yokohama <--> Manila
Boats: Guam <--> Hong Kong <--> Manila
Airplanes: Guam <--> Manila :D

Edited by miles-high

JonnyBravo

I see lol. "This (calcium carbonate) could be the white powder you have observed after evaporation. Hard water should not pose any health risks, and in fact can add some extra calcium and magnesium to your diet. If it's still concerning to you, there are hundreds of products available that can soften your water before you use it, just google "water softener" and you'll be overwhelmed."

Hmmm... The Chamorro housing lady who has live her entire life here on Guam told me not to drink the water. She said it turned her fingers into what she described as raisin texture from drinking the water because there was too much calcium. But you can try drinking the water softened concoction if you want with all that salt if you dare. To each their own... 

• Like 1

calasiaobound

Btw..when i was there.. I googled the safety of drinking it..

Of course all sources said it was perfectly safe.

But through talking to locals and coworkers, the vast majority said they either had some sort of filter, or, they bought bottled,or they did what I did.

Perhaps sugbu777 has a better suggestion

sugbu777

Btw..when i was there.. I googled the safety of drinking it..

Of course all sources said it was perfectly safe.

But through talking to locals and coworkers, the vast majority said they either had some sort of filter, or, they bought bottled,or they did what I did.

Perhaps sugbu777 has a better suggestion

I drink the local water. My wife won't. I do some filtering (Brita type) if it is going into my coffee maker or teapot as it is so hard. Guam water is destructive to coffee makers and hot water heaters.

The instant hot water heaters that you see for bathrooms/kitchens etc. have a life span of about 3 years before they get so clogged up they're useless.

• Like 2

JonnyBravo

The instant hot water heaters that you see for bathrooms/kitchens etc. have a life span of about 3 years before they get so clogged up they're useless

I was wondering why they didn't have those like they do in the philippines. Now I know. So do you fish? If so do you have recommendations where to go?