Sign in to follow this  
miles-high

Guam, USA!

TheWhiteKnight

my wife and I have been living here for over seven years now, which means clothing items need replenishing and household items have simply worn out and now need replacing. I can see where flying to Guam once or twice a year would be a decent option for us. We could fly there for a week and purchase all the hard to find items such as foods stocks, spices and actually find decent quality cloths and shoes that actually fit. Purchase quality hardware/tools and household items. Try to find a decent set of cuttery, cookware,skillets or just a decent can opener in the Philippines. Forget finding quality toiletries or a frigging toilet plunger that does not fall apart after only a few uses. It gets tiresome having to repurchase common items over and over again because it is low-grade dollar store crap.

It would be quite easy to justify just traveling to Guam for a week to purchase what we need and simply fill a couple of Balikbayan boxes of goods and then just ship them here to the farm. Rather than scouring Cebu and Manila for their lower grade goods, and during that time we can also enjoy home style restaurants and fast foods. It is certainly cheaper and more convenient than flying round-trip to Hawaii or to the States Mainland just to accomplish the same intended goal.  . 

So do the good clothes and stuff exist there at a good price still? I like this idea. Visiting the west coast later this year tho so I guess no need right now.

• Like 1

sugbu777

So do the good clothes and stuff exist there at a good price still? I like this idea. Visiting the west coast later this year tho so I guess no need right now.

Yes. If you catch the right time at Macy's on Guam, the quality and price of some of their men's clothing can't be beat. The quality there is good. I got a whole bunch of Greg Norman and Tasso Elba Golf Shirts there for between $7.99 - 13.99. Bostonian dress shoes for $39.99.Don't go to the main racks in Macy's. They will have several "markdown racks" and this is where you find those deals. Scour the local paper "Pacific Daily News" for Macy's ads and additional coupon discounts. Some are $10 off a $25 purchase. That's a pretty darn good deal. For the women, Macy's has the best cosmetics/toiletries/fragrances on Guam. You can find some great deals on women's clothing and purses there too. Ross Store is just like a Ross in the mainland U.S. only its cleaner. Prices a little higher than mainland and they have risen over the last couple of years. Methinks it is because of all the Japanese, Chinese and Korean tourists that go there for bargains, because it is most certainly cheaper, especially for the Japanese to buy the items they are looking for. We bought some bed pillows at Ross not too long ago...great quality...Calvin Klein brand...king size pillows for $8.99 each. Brought some of those to the Philippines, because it's hard to find decent bed pillows there.  

Edited by sugbu777
  • Like 2

JonnyBravo

Ross Store is just like a Ross in the mainland U.S. only its cleaner

Don't forget to tell him this is a minimum 2 man operation or be prepared, as the locals say hafa adai pronounced 'halfa day' in line. I am not a man of patience so unfortunately I will never experience the ross line. 

sugbu777

Don't forget to tell him this is a minimum 2 man operation or be prepared, as the locals say hafa adai pronounced 'halfa day' in line. I am not a man of patience so unfortunately I will never experience the ross line.

The Ross line has greatly improved on Guam. Not as good as when they first opened, but the last two times we were there the wait was about 15 minutes. They've hired a lot more employees. On top of that, they are now open until 1 a.m.

K-Mart here is open 24 hours.

Edited by sugbu777

throttleplate

guam woman were mostly fat when i was stationed there in the 80s, maybe the newer version of guamian woman has thinned down?

JonnyBravo

The Ross line has greatly improved on Guam. Not as good as when they first opened, but the last two times we were there the wait was about 15 minutes. They've hired a lot more employees. On top of that, they are now open until 1 a.m.

K-Mart here is open 24 hours.

Perhaps depending on the day and time. I went on a satuday around noon. The line wrapped around the store and if I was a betting man I would bet there were over 200 people in 1 line. The wait had to be somewhere in the ball park of 45 mins to 1 hour. I waited 15 mins and moved maybe 30 feet and called it quits permanently. My weekends are my free days so going during the week for me is a no go and I don't stay up late enough to put a dent in the line. 

JamesMusslewhite

Does anyone there on Guam have any information on where to find a shop there which has Balikbayan box service and the cost of shipping a Balikbayan box here to the the Philippines?

ProudPinay

Can retirees use the VOQ (visitors inn) on the Air Force and Navy bases? Those are generally good values if they aren't heavily booked.

I frequent Guam for official business, was there last February for a week, and with military orders in hand normally lodging should be in either Airforce Inn or Gateway Inn,  but for the last three years, we always get issued a  C N A (certificate of non-availability) which authorizes military members to use about $157 lodging per diem to hotels like Hilton, Sheraton, ... we were told that its under renovation and they are fully booked. As a matter of fact, most Geo Bachelor live off town as well. Check DOD lodging website or Navy Bed you might get lucky.  I know that retirees are allowed to use for leisure if they have availability. My brother and his family (retired Navy) stayed in Gateway Inn in Yoko and Airforce Inn in Yokota when they visited Japan. If there's room available, no issue or question asked. Its not like its free, its business as usual. 

• Like 1

ProudPinay

guam woman were mostly fat when i was stationed there in the 80s, maybe the newer version of guamian woman has thinned down?

They're definitely not on the thin side. Most of the guy in my team going crazy with the "tiny" cute Pinays working in Sheraton and Hilton, honestly It feels like I'm in PI when I'm in Guam (even with all the Japanese and locals) and maybe that's why I enjoyed my stop there. 

• Like 1

miles-high

Does anyone there on Guam have any information on where to find a shop there which has Balikbayan box service and the cost of shipping a Balikbayan box here to the the Philippines?

http://www.umaccargo.net/branches.html

Have used them a few times, fast delivery from Guam to our condo in BGC (door to door), no complaint!

• Like 1

sugbu777

It feels like I'm in PI when I'm in Guam

That's cuz 25 pct of the population is Filipino. Honestly, my asawa loves it here in Guam and its relatively easy to travel back to the Philippines. Sure would love to have a direct flight to Cebu in future.
  • Like 1

TheWhiteKnight

Yes. If you catch the right time at Macy's on Guam, the quality and price of some of their men's clothing can't be beat. The quality there is good. I got a whole bunch of Greg Norman and Tasso Elba Golf Shirts there for between $7.99 - 13.99. Bostonian dress shoes for $39.99.Don't go to the main racks in Macy's. They will have several "markdown racks" and this is where you find those deals. Scour the local paper "Pacific Daily News" for Macy's ads and additional coupon discounts. Some are $10 off a $25 purchase. That's a pretty darn good deal. For the women, Macy's has the best cosmetics/toiletries/fragrances on Guam. You can find some great deals on women's clothing and purses there too. Ross Store is just like a Ross in the mainland U.S. only its cleaner. Prices a little higher than mainland and they have risen over the last couple of years. Methinks it is because of all the Japanese, Chinese and Korean tourists that go there for bargains, because it is most certainly cheaper, especially for the Japanese to buy the items they are looking for. We bought some bed pillows at Ross not too long ago...great quality...Calvin Klein brand...king size pillows for $8.99 each. Brought some of those to the Philippines, because it's hard to find decent bed pillows there.  

Nice I love Ross!

hitman

I think I used lbc when I shipped my meager possessions from Guam to the RP (also shipped my electric keyboard). As I recall the cost was reasonable, $80 or so per box.

Look online, google balikbayan box shippers Guam. There's even Forex I see. (don't know why my font changed)

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

hitman

Perhaps depending on the day and time. I went on a satuday around noon. The line wrapped around the store and if I was a betting man I would bet there were over 200 people in 1 line. The wait had to be somewhere in the ball park of 45 mins to 1 hour. I waited 15 mins and moved maybe 30 feet and called it quits permanently. My weekends are my free days so going during the week for me is a no go and I don't stay up late enough to put a dent in the line. 

Yea that line in Ross can snake around a long way. I would eyeball it and decide if I want to queue up or not. Lots of cheap items there.  

I lived walking distance from there but I drove because it was soooooo hot there.

JonnyBravo

Well boys I stand corrected... I just went shopping at... Ross and the line wait was only 15 mins.... Wife made me go...  :fighting0029:  

I think I saved 15% on my car insurance at some point waiting in that line though.

• Like 1