Sign in to follow this  
miles-high

Guam, USA!

Agustin

I was thinking the same thing, their seats were not designed for white people. 1 hour flight is the most I can take:

261_zpseh7tfz1y.jpg

I don't know about not being white guy friendly, but I will say Cebu Pacific nor Air Asia are friendly to anyone over 5'2, that's me wedged into an AirAsia seat. I'm 5'11 and 240 pounds.

Edited by Agustin
  • Like 1

sugbu777

This place is a madhouse.. Ive never seen anything like it..

The Japanese tourists.. Love..and i mean..looooove kmart..there are like 40 checkers and all lanes have lines 25-50 ppl deep..

Plan on a long wait

Sounds like you hit it on a combined federal govt, Gov Guam, military,social security payday. Any place on Guam is madness then. You're right about the Japanese tourists...they love K- Mart...and Ross. K-mart is open 24 hours so we usually go late at night.

Edited by sugbu777
  • Like 2

sugbu777

Festival of the Pacific Arts (aka known as FestPac) is being hosted by Guam starting May 22, 2016. This event is held every 4 years. The last one held in Solomon Islands in 2012. Next one is in Hawaii in 2020. It lasts approximately 2 weeks. Great cultural exhibits/dancing/native arts and crafts from all over Oceania.

I was thinking the same thing, their seats were not designed for white people. 1 hour flight is the most I can take:

5594f79.jpg

It depends what white person... I'm only 5'6'' :P

• Like 1

liquido

This place is a madhouse.. Ive never seen anything like it..

The Japanese tourists.. Love..and i mean..looooove kmart..there are like 40 checkers and all lanes have lines 25-50 ppl deep..

Plan on a long wait

Thats probably the only Kmart in the world that has that kind of traffic because all the others in the USA are dieing.Im surprised Walmart does not open there and crushes Kmart?

Nangulo

why fly there for beaches and malls when you're already in a country with some of the largest malls in the world

Maybe because the malls here are all filled with the same cheap crap.

United had the only route and it wasn't cheap if all you wanted to do was fly to Guam.  The competition is good.

• Like 3

hitman

Rent is super expensive.. So is the food(groceries). Taxis cost a fortune and if u have your own car..gas prices are very high due to the fact they import it...

The beaches are small.. Or only accessible via base access or hotel guests..

Micronesia mall is just like any major mall here..

Sounds like im hating on it..but all in all it's not so bad..

Wages suck tho ..and if ur not working on base.. Ur gunna b working for the Chinese..and they don't like to give 40 hrs..

Imo Guam's good for its proximity to the Philippines.. Cheap flights to and from... Can go there..work 4-6 months..go back to Philippines...

I went to the beach about everyother day and it was never a problem. Most beaches have a parking lot and other beaches near the big hotels have little paths leading to the beach.

It is true some beaches are restricted but there are plenty others.

• Like 1

sugbu777

I went to the beach about everyother day and it was never a problem. Most beaches have a parking lot and other beaches near the big hotels have little paths leading to the beach.

It is true some beaches are restricted but there are plenty others.

calasiaobound was bustin' his behind working(during holiday season) when he was here on Guam, so he didn't really have much time to himself to really explore the island. You are correct, though, there are plenty of other beaches that normal tourists wouldn't know about. I've been here for a total of about 14 years. Edited by sugbu777
  • Like 2

SkyMan

but Cebu Pacific opened a new route to Guam and offering some promo fares as low as about US$90 round trip from Manila...
That's the  fare price, much more than that will leave your pocket.  Might consider it some times though if it flew out of Cebu.
  • Like 1

sugbu777

That's the  fare price, much more than that will leave your pocket.  Might consider it some times though if it flew out of Cebu.

The asawa and I are waiting for them to fly direct from Guam to Cebu. No sense for us to go thru MNL on Cebu Pacific. We will continue to use PAL until Cebu Pacific flies direct. Years ago, Continental used to fly direct from Guam to Cebu. It was so great to bypass MNL.

• Like 2

Lost

calasiaobound was bustin' his behind working(during holiday season) when he was here on Guam, so he didn't really have much time to himself to really explore the island. You are correct, though, there are plenty of other beaches that normal tourists wouldn't know about. I've been here for a total of about 14 years.

Would you mind sharing some advice for someone considering a move to Guam? Areas, prices, lifestyle, etc? Is it possible to find a decent rental for under $1500? I haven't found much using google so I would appreciate it!

sugbu777

Would you mind sharing some advice for someone considering a move to Guam? Areas, prices, lifestyle, etc? Is it possible to find a decent rental for under $1500? I haven't found much using google so I would appreciate it!

I wouldn't like to give advice as where to live, as each person has their own preference. We live in southern Guam which is pretty much like living in the province in the Philippines. I don't pay rent. We own our home. No more payments, it's paid off. You need to go to one of the Guam MLS sites to find rentals. Plenty of them come up on Google. You can find rents as low as $600 and as high as $4000. Depends on where you want to live. If you need more convenience and don't mind living in a more heavily populated area, That would be in North Central to Northern areas, less populated, anywhere south of Agana, the capitol. Agana is a nice village though, There is enough convenience there and not as heavily populated as north.

BTW there are no cities, towns in Guam. They are all referred to as Villages.

Food is pricey. If you are not able to shop on base, here's an example for some staple prices in town on average: Milk: 6.99 gal, Bread: US brands: 4.00-6.00 a loaf, local baked: 2.50-4.00 a loaf, Cereal: 6.00 box, Eggs: 2.00 to 4.00 per dozen depending on grade/size. Rice: (50lbs) Calrose 25.00 - 28.00, Thai Jasmin 32.00-35.00. Gasoline: currently 3.40 gal. My last electric bill: $132.00 (two window type aircons running 24/7). Water: $25.50. no sewer bill as we have septic.

Edited by sugbu777
  • Like 2

ProudPinay

Great news for the military retirees and families. Closest you can feel like being in the US (that's when you are in the base).  Cleanest beach in Guam are within the base. You can shop in the commissaries and the exchange as if you are back here in the States, don't need to shop anywhere else. Over price outside because they cater to Japanese.  

Sure caters to those who like their booze and women for a price. 

I personally like Guam for a week visit. Not a cheap place to take vacation due to lodging, but plenty of cheap places to eat if you know your way around the area.

• Like 4

Headshot

Great news for the military retirees and families. Closest you can feel like being in the US (that's when you are in the base).  Cleanest beach in Guam are within the base. You can shop in the commissaries and the exchange as if you are back here in the States, don't need to shop anywhere else. Over price outside because they cater to Japanese.  

Sure caters to those who like their booze and women for a price. 

I personally like Guam for a week visit. Not a cheap place to take vacation due to lodging, but plenty of cheap places to eat if you know your way around the area.

Can retirees use the VOQ (visitors inn) on the Air Force and Navy bases? Those are generally good values if they aren't heavily booked.

Edited by Headshot

JamesMusslewhite

my wife and I have been living here for over seven years now, which means clothing items need replenishing and household items have simply worn out and now need replacing. I can see where flying to Guam once or twice a year would be a decent option for us. We could fly there for a week and purchase all the hard to find items such as foods stocks, spices and actually find decent quality cloths and shoes that actually fit. Purchase quality hardware/tools and household items. Try to find a decent set of cuttery, cookware,skillets or just a decent can opener in the Philippines. Forget finding quality toiletries or a frigging toilet plunger that does not fall apart after only a few uses. It gets tiresome having to repurchase common items over and over again because it is low-grade dollar store crap.

It would be quite easy to justify just traveling to Guam for a week to purchase what we need and simply fill a couple of Balikbayan boxes of goods and then just ship them here to the farm. Rather than scouring Cebu and Manila for their lower grade goods, and during that time we can also enjoy home style restaurants and fast foods. It is certainly cheaper and more convenient than flying round-trip to Hawaii or to the States Mainland just to accomplish the same intended goal.  . 

• Like 3

calasiaobound

calasiaobound was bustin' his behind working(during holiday season) when he was here on Guam, so he didn't really have much time to himself to really explore the island. You are correct, though, there are plenty of other beaches that normal tourists wouldn't know about. I've been here for a total of about 14 years.

It's true that I rarely had time to explore. 60+ hrs a week.. Often times 7 days a week.

The nicest.. Largest beach I saw was on base..very beautiful.. Few ppl..

There were nice beaches in Talofofo but pretty small..

Best to listen to sugbu777..

He's lived there a long time and is a solid guy..i know cuz i met him personally.. He even tried to hook me up with a job when I first landed..

BTW my rent was $550 a month for a place smaller and dirtier than my place in Calasiao..my co-worker rented a 2 bedroom apartment for $1500..nicer..but nothing too special

I had WiFi service through GTA..was $82.50 a month

Edited by calasiaobound
  • Like 2