Sign in to follow this  
miles-high

Guam, USA!

miles-high

What’s in Guam? US Air Force/Navy bases/Naval Hospital, the largest K-Mart in the world (open 24/7), the Home Depot, resort hotels and not much more… but Cebu Pacific opened a new route to Guam and offering some promo fares as low as about US$90 round trip from Manila...

1.png

• Like 2

hitman

'not much more' ?  Disagree...

Guam has some great beaches, and the tourist area is nice to hang around - some good restaurants and shopping malls.

(I lived there for one year and really enjoyed it).

• Like 3

Salty Dog

'not much more' ?  Disagree...

Guam has some great beaches, and the tourist area is nice to hang around - some good restaurants and shopping malls.

(I lived there for one year and really enjoyed it).

Maybe but why fly there for beaches and malls when you're already in a country with some of the largest malls in the world and thousands of beaches, some rated among the best in the world.

A big negative for many, is you can't easily take your Filipina GF/wife because it requires a Visa...

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 1

Lost

I've been considering living part time in Guam to fulfill my wife's 3 years in "greencard jail." But cost of living seems out of control.

• Like 1

Salty Dog

I've been considering living part time in Guam to fulfill my wife's 3 years in "greencard jail." But cost of living seems out of control.

If you're talking about the requirement for her to collect Social Security, It's 5 years unless she becomes a US Citizen, which might be what you are refering to because she can apply for citizenship after living in the USA for 3 years.

Lost

If you're talking about the requirement for her to collect Social Security, It's 5 years unless she becomes a US Citizen, which might be what you are refering to because she can apply for citizenship after living in the USA for 3 years.

Yea, citizenship requirement. My plan was to return to the Philippines after she got her green card, then I found out she's not allowed to live outside the US long term. So been considering Guam as a place to spend the required percentage of the 3 years. That way visiting her family often is an affordable prospect.

calasiaobound

Rent is super expensive.. So is the food(groceries). Taxis cost a fortune and if u have your own car..gas prices are very high due to the fact they import it...

The beaches are small.. Or only accessible via base access or hotel guests..

Micronesia mall is just like any major mall here..

Sounds like im hating on it..but all in all it's not so bad..

Wages suck tho ..and if ur not working on base.. Ur gunna b working for the Chinese..and they don't like to give 40 hrs..

Imo Guam's good for its proximity to the Philippines.. Cheap flights to and from... Can go there..work 4-6 months..go back to Philippines...

• Like 2

calasiaobound

Yea, citizenship requirement. My plan was to return to the Philippines after she got her green card, then I found out she's not allowed to live outside the US long term. So been considering Guam as a place to spend the required percentage of the 3 years. That way visiting her family often is an affordable prospect.

She'd love it there.. Many many Filipinos on guam..same food same culture.. Difference is the prices and its clean..

• Like 1

Bill H

Even if she is in Guam, she will still need to spend more than 50% of her time there or risk loosing her visa.  What just slays me is the US government allowing if not encouraging people to cross the borders illegally.  No paperwork, no fees, no medical exam, no background check yet welcomed with open arms.  Something is very wrong with this picture.

• Like 3

calasiaobound

the largest K-Mart in the world (open 24/7)

This place is a madhouse.. Ive never seen anything like it..

The Japanese tourists.. Love..and i mean..looooove kmart..there are like 40 checkers and all lanes have lines 25-50 ppl deep..

Plan on a long wait

Lost

Even if she is in Guam, she will still need to spend more than 50% of her time there or risk loosing her visa.  What just slays me is the US government allowing if not encouraging people to cross the borders illegally.  No paperwork, no fees, no medical exam, no background check yet welcomed with open arms.  Something is very wrong with this picture.

No kidding, I have developed a serious disdain for illegal immigrants. Going though the legal immigration process has been 2 years in bureaucratic hell, especially on the Philippines side. 1.  My wife's parents didn't bother to get her a birth certificate. Fixed $. 2. Then tried for months going through legit channels to get the required IDs needed for getting a passport: "Sorry ma'am, you can't have SSS ID..." Fixed $$. 3. "Sorry ma'am, this ID looks fake." So several trips to meet shady dudes, NBI, and immigration offices, finally Fixed $$$.  Then finally got into the States and USCIS lost her entire packed, so all vaccines must be redone. But only paid $125 of the $600 bill, obamacare. But it could have been worse, I'm just grateful she's finally got her green card.

• Like 1

Monsoon

Maybe but why fly there for beaches and malls when you're already in a country with some of the largest malls in the world and thousands of beaches, some rated among the best in the world.

I wouldn't go to Guam for the beaches. I could see going to Guam for shopping and for a break from the Philippines. 

I could not however see myself going there on Cebu Pathetic. 

• Like 2

Monsoon

The Japanese tourists.. Love..and i mean..looooove kmart.

It is because most things they buy there represent good value over comparable items in Japan. 

Lost

I wouldn't go to Guam for the beaches. I could see going to Guam for shopping and for a break from the Philippines. 

I could not however see myself going there on Cebu Pathetic. 

I was thinking the same thing, their seats were not designed for white people. 1 hour flight is the most I can take:

5594f79.jpg

• Like 5

calasiaobound

It is because most things they buy there represent good value over comparable items in Japan.

Indeed