Sign in to follow this  
Gymguy

Keeping my Disability

Gymguy

I am 47 and Disabled due to a very bad work accident involving a broken back , My question is this will my disability be affected if I decide to stay in Cebu. With all the hardware installed in my spine I have zero chance of getting better so this is a permanent condition. I am somewhat familiar with how to go about it as far as my Passport is concerned.. Any advice and information will be greatly appreciated ..

USMC-Retired

Welcome to the forum.  Clarify what you mean disability affected.  You mean payment, medical treatment, just not enough details.

Salty Dog

:welcome2:

RogerDat

Welcome! Are you still Mobile? Do you use any assistance such as crutches, walker? Can you flex enough to get into and out of small cars, and jeeps? Pain medication is a problem here as it is very hard to get many common items we are used to in US.

forget Oxycontin  like products from local sources.

Stairs here are not normal pitch, very steep and uneven step placement.

Air travel here is risky due to steep stairs used to board and unboard aircraft at many airports.

Skywalker

You're asking in the wrong place.  Nobody here is qualified to make an assessment of your physical condition, or advice you on your disability allowance.

Is your username ironic?  Calling yourself gymguy would appear to indicate that you workout at the gym, which is something that a severely disabled guy wouldn't be able to do.

Welcome to Cebu forums by the way.  

I suggest that you seek professional help on this.  There are plenty of guys here on disability, but whether their situation is transparent is certainly not clear (sic).

• Like 6

wildman01

Is your username ironic? Calling yourself gymguy would appear to indicate that you workout at the gym, which is something that a severely disabled guy wouldn't be able to do.

I talked to a few people here that said they were disabled, but had no problem getting on jeepney or tricycle. Im not saying you are not disabled, but if I was I would stay

home because the Philippines is not set up for the care you will need. just my opinion

• Like 1

jtmwatchbiz

I talked to a few people here that said they were disabled, but had no problem getting on jeepney or tricycle.

and thus should stop receiving tax payer's disability payments, go back home and get a freakin job.  i have a friend from Texas living here in cebu city and he's wheelchair bound.  he lives off of his rental income from back home and never took a penny of disability or any other govt. handout. 

• Like 3

KID

Calling yourself gymguy would appear to indicate that you workout at the gym, which is something that a severely disabled guy wouldn't be able to do

It might intrest you to know that people who suffer tramatic injuries to the body often times find themselves in the gym daily doing doctor ordered self theropy Edited by KID
  • Like 9

jtmwatchbiz

It might intrest you to know that people who suffer dramatic injuries to the body often times find themselves in the gym daily doing doctor ordered theropy

and manage to hold down jobs.  for decades there has been incentives for employers to hire the handicapped so if someone can manage to get to a gym they can also get to work.

• Like 2

KID

It amazes me that all these self appointed disability judges think they know more than the real disability judge and all the doctors one has to be examined by to be placed on disabiliy

Reminds me of a story I read about a guy who decided he had had enough of those lazy no goods who would get disability parking stickers and decided to confront to women walking into a store who looked perfectly healthy.....turns out the moron confronted a woman who had driven her mother to the store who had leukemia

• Like 2

BossHog

boo-fecking-hoo

if you can type on the internet and put a cogent sentence together

then you can work

from the neck up.

deal with it.

no sympathy.

• Like 4

contraman

It amazes me that all these self appointed disability judges think they know more than the real disability judge

Yourself included ?   :potkettle:    :idontknow:

• Like 4

Paul

I am 47 and Disabled due to a very bad work accident involving a broken back , My question is this will my disability be affected if I decide to stay in Cebu. With all the hardware installed in my spine I have zero chance of getting better so this is a permanent condition. I am somewhat familiar with how to go about it as far as my Passport is concerned.. Any advice and information will be greatly appreciated ..

Member Tonny (James) knows as much as anyone here would, regarding Social Security. I consider him an authority on it. If you search this forum (specifically the social security forum), you will find all sorts of information posted by him, or by me posting information he has passed on to me, for the benefit of others here. 

But, the short answer is, no. The Philippines is on an approved list by the SSA. So, those who are on SSDI payments can live in country and still receive their payments.

Medicare, however, is not worth a plug nickel unless you can fly to US soil. I know some guys have stopped their medicare payments, once determining they would stay in the Philippines permanently. 

Like someone else mentioned, though, you may want to check on availability of your pain medications, in the Philippines.

Nobody here is qualified to make an assessment of your physical condition, or advice you on your disability allowance.

I agree. None of us are qualified to say who should, or shouldn't be on disability payments. 

• Like 6

Skywalker

It amazes me that all these self appointed disability judges think they know more than the real disability judge

You might have noticed that I mentioned to the OP that he should take professional advice from the right people whose job is to decide these things.

You also need to understand that Cebu has a great many guys here, chasing whores and running around like teenagers, who are on disability payments.  Another guy who claims to be disabled is actively working on cars and helping to build his charity funded house in Australia (he even posted videos on youtube boasting about his activities), and is using his disability payments to fund a holiday home in the Philippines.

So, if there is a certain cynical view about people claiming disability, you might try to understand where that is coming from.

I served my Country for 10 years (in the Army), so I do understand the physical therapy you refer to.

• Like 6

jtmwatchbiz

I served my Country for 10 years (in the Army), so I do understand the physical therapy you refer to.

and you are not getting disability payments as well.  i get a kick out of these supposed "tough guys" that "served" their countries that can walk, talk, ride motorcycles and chase chics yet can't seem to independently support themselves.  am i qualified to say who should or should not get disability?  well i would like to see the qualified USA expert's faces if they could see the behavior in cebu city of those they deem deserving.  it's shameful. 

• Like 4