I arrive in 3 days

MrPlow42

Where to start .....

I'm a 54 year old man from Southern California who retired a month ago. I've been researching living outside the US for years, and have traveled to several places in several countries to check things out in person, but this is my first visit to Cebu. I expect to be in Cebu at least until after Sinulog.

After that I'll use it as a base for travel to the other cities, in part because of it's location but also because I have a place to stay with a relative of my best bud at my former workplace.

I'm a computer programmer, like photography enough to have studied composition, will be looking for a walking workout companion (just to help me with motivation to get on the road), and am horrible at both Chess and Billiards but hope to make it up to semi-horrible on both sometime in the undefined future. I'm also learning Spanish if any of you hable espanol.

I'm also learning Spanish if any of you hable espanol.

there is widespread misconception abroard that Spanish is widely spoken in the Philippines. It isn't, although there are many Spanish words in use in the languages here. Only a very few scions of old, wealthy families speak Spanish at all, apart from the few who learn it as a foreign language in what passes for the Philippines educational system.

because the United States poured today's equivalent of billions of dollars down the toilet in investing in Philippines edcuation in the first part of the 20th century, with little discernible effect as it is now one of the poorest of all the South East Asian countries, proving Rudyard Kipling's 'White Man's Burden' poem, which was written to poke fun at the United States imperial adventure in the Philippines, prescient, English is by far the best 'other' language to speak here.

I'm also learning Spanish if any of you hable espanol.

there is widespread misconception abroard that Spanish is widely spoken in the Philippines. It isn't,

I could have been clearer - I didn't say why I was learning spanish. Other towns on my list of places to check out are in Peru, Argentina and Costa Rica.

KeithAngel

Hi and welcome to LinC I also play pool badly but enthusiastically and my chess style is close to Genghis Khan in style , I also speak some Spanish my Portuguese is much better however I personally find it quite useful to have some Latin as there seem to be about as many words in the local language that have their roots in Spanish as English and would be happy to meet up for a chat and libation or two.

Hi and welcome to LinC I also play pool badly but enthusiastically and my chess style is close to Genghis Khan in style , I also speak some Spanish my Portuguese is much better however I personally find it quite useful to have some Latin as there seem to be about as many words in the local language that have their roots in Spanish as English and would be happy to meet up for a chat and libation or two.

Thanks. I'll follow up after I get settled.