• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topper

• Headshot

• RogerDuMond

• Monsoon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You guys can try and dress it however you like - but when a Filipino asks a Kano to be  a sponsor they are looking for money.

I posted in the beginning of this thread trying to be funny. I do that sometimes, that is "try" but rarely succeed.   The truth is, I have only been asked to be a sponsor once, by my brother-in-law.

My wife asked if we would buy anything for my godsons upcoming baptism party   I said they didn't ask for my help 9 months ago   she gave me a blank stare and said ............ huh?

Posted Images

Enuff

I have been asked to be a "Godfather" what is the principle of a Godfather can anyone tell me? Does this role also involve $...?

I am recent godfather along with about 14 other people.

In usa I always thought that godparents were the parents choice to help with the children in the event of their untimely death (not even sure if that's right but its what I thought)

In Philippines the only thing godfather got me was a discount on my electrical work as my wifes godfather did our electrical work.

• Like 3
maximian

You guys can try and dress it however you like - but when a Filipino asks a Kano to be  a sponsor they are looking for money.

So, when the kid next door asked me to be a sponsor at his wedding is was just for money. The fact that we have been neighbours for 20 years and he grew up playing with my kids on a daily basis, had nothing to do with his decision?

• Like 2
Caveat Emptor

Godfather to what? Being a Godfather depends on the occasion. Are you going to be a Godfather for a Baptism/Christening or Godfather (Principal Sponsor) for a wedding? If you are a Godfather for a Baptism/Christening, you act as a second parent to the child. If the child becomes an orphan (either parents were deceased or abandoned the child), as a Godfather you will look after the welfare of the child if the close relatives of the child is unable to look after him/her. You also give your godchild a gift for Christmas – (it is not a must to give gift but your godchild will be annoyed if you miss on Christmas.) If you are a Godfather to a wedding who are commonly called Principal Sponsor, please see my comment above.

• Like 3
JohnD

If you are a Godfather for a Baptism/Christening, you act as a second parent to the child. If the child becomes an orphan (either parents were deceased or abandoned the child), as a Godfather you will look after the welfare of the child if the close relatives of the child is unable to look after him/her.

Wishful thinking and total bull.

On being a wedding sponsor they expect you to provide some money. 

• Like 4
Johnny S

Godfather to what? Being a Godfather depends on the occasion. Are you going to be a Godfather for a Baptism/Christening or Godfather (Principal Sponsor) for a wedding? If you are a Godfather for a Baptism/Christening, you act as a second parent to the child. If the child becomes an orphan (either parents were deceased or abandoned the child), as a Godfather you will look after the welfare of the child if the close relatives of the child is unable to look after him/her. You also give your godchild a gift for Christmas – (it is not a must to give gift but your godchild will be annoyed if you miss on Christmas.) If you are a Godfather to a wedding who are commonly called Principal Sponsor, please see my comment above.

Thank you, seems you learn something every day on this forum. I guess I will respectively decline the invitation..

Headshot

I have been a principal sponsor for four weddings, and I have never been asked for money. How many weddings have you been a sponsor for?

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I have been a principal sponsor for four weddings, and I have never been asked for money. How many weddings have you been a sponsor for?

Several. Right next to senators, governors and mayors.

I'm sure they were elated when they didn't receive anything from you.

Don't kid yourself.

When they ask a prominent Filipino it's about status and bragging rights of having that particular person - like a Governor, Congressman or Mayor. . When hey ask a Kano it's in hopes to get something out of the deal and that's not status when it comes to Kanos.

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

So, when the kid next door asked me to be a sponsor at his wedding is was just for money. The fact that we have been neighbours for 20 years and he grew up playing with my kids on a daily basis, had nothing to do with his decision?

In one word; yes.

• Like 2
Skywalker

The culture of the Filipino is to view foreigners as rich ATM's, same as Thailand and many other Countries in the region.

If you seriously think that the invitation doesn't include a desire for financial assistance, and they are not wealthy, then dreaming may be your forte.

I was invited to contribute to my good friends wedding, they already have 3 kids. I bought the wedding rings (silver) and gave some cash towards food. I wasn't asked to be principle sponsor, but I can tell you the clothes those kids wear come from me! And I see them every week.

I didn't go to the church, because I'm not that guy. And they went at 4 am because the first 3 wedding were free. Poor as church mice, but happy people all the same.

• Like 2
woodchopper

there is,,as in all countries,,GOOD people,,,,but as in fish,, a lot of other mixed with them.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

there is,,as in all countries,,GOOD people,,,,but as in fish,, a lot of other mixed with them.

None of this makes for "bad" people.

It is just how things are done in the Philippines. It is the culture.

As pointed out above, the Governor or other local politician isn't asked because he will provide sage wisdom and guidance to the budding couple. He is asked in hopes that some day a favor can be granted or some other road smoothed in the family's favor.

It is also done just for bragging rights.

I was married in the Philippines. Family of my wife served as "sponsors" in the true sense of the Filipino intended meaning. They signed the marriage license and stood there while a congressman performed the ceremony. 

Neither of us would ask any of them for guidance in our marriage. In fact, one of them sort of tongue in cheek (maybe) hints around every Christmas about where is her Christmas gift as Ninang (this term seems to be used synonymously with both the god parent role and the wedding sponsor role). So if anything it is the other way around.  I have selective hearing when it comes to things like that. Lucky of for me this is extended family. My wife's immediate family has never asked for anything, ever. Not one peso. 

If I ever had an issue in my marriage involving behavior of my wife I would turn to her mother. No one else. Certainly nobody that signed our marriage license. 

As for my being 'ninong' or sponsor I have turned down more requests than I have granted. 

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 2
Headshot

Several. Right next to senators, governors and mayors.

I'm sure they were elated when they didn't receive anything from you.

Don't kid yourself.

When they ask a prominent Filipino it's about status and bragging rights of having that particular person - like a Governor, Congressman or Mayor. . When hey ask a Kano it's in hopes to get something out of the deal and that's not status when it comes to Kanos.

I don't know why you were asked to be any kind of sponsor, but we were asked because we were good friends with the bride. We gave a wedding present, but there was never any request for money. Generally, when Filipinos need money, they are NOT shy about mentioning it. Your comments are very cynical, and you obviously hold the Filipinos you know  (or at least those that have asked you to be a sponsor) in very low esteem. I realize that you live here because this is where you make a living, and not to make friends, but geez...I don't think I could live anyplace where I thought so poorly of the locals with whom I associated. BTW, I would NEVER accept an invitation to be a sponsor for somebody I don't know well or who aren't fairly close relatives. So far, we have only been asked to be sponsors for close friends.

• Like 2
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I realize that you live here because this is where you make a living, and not to make friends, but geez...I don't think I could live anyplace where I thought so poorly of the locals with whom I associated.

You know nothing about me.

I have many Filipino friends in the Philippines. Some in very high places. Some with much more money than I. Many of them will opine much in the same way I do when it comes to the whole wedding sponsorship topic. They are often asked by long time employees and so on. 

I would NEVER accept an invitation to be a sponsor for somebody I don't know well or who aren't fairly close relatives.

Me either.

• Like 1