• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topper

• Headshot

• RogerDuMond

• Monsoon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You guys can try and dress it however you like - but when a Filipino asks a Kano to be  a sponsor they are looking for money.

I posted in the beginning of this thread trying to be funny. I do that sometimes, that is "try" but rarely succeed.   The truth is, I have only been asked to be a sponsor once, by my brother-in-law.

My wife asked if we would buy anything for my godsons upcoming baptism party   I said they didn't ask for my help 9 months ago   she gave me a blank stare and said ............ huh?

Posted Images

Enuff

My wife asked if we would buy anything for my godsons upcoming baptism party

I said they didn't ask for my help 9 months ago

she gave me a blank stare and said ............ huh?

• Like 8
cvgtpc1

My wife asked if we would buy anything for my godsons upcoming baptism party

I said they didn't ask for my help 9 months ago

she gave me a blank stare and said ............ huh?

Love em but sarcasm simply elludes them LOL

• Like 2
Enuff

Love em but sarcasm simply elludes them LOL

that's why we get along, if she knew how much of a dumb/smart ass I was she would have killed me by now

• Like 3
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

that's why we get along, if she knew how much of a dumb/smart ass I was she would have killed me by now

How have you survived your american friends who understand what you really mean...  :biggrin_01:

Captainmike

How have you survived your american friends who understand what you really mean...  :biggrin_01:

None of them can "pack heat" in the Philippines...   :cool:

• Like 2
Enuff

Luck of the Irish, plus I'm magically delicious!!

• Like 1
Topper

$

+ more $

That was my first thoughts, but I had to ask.

• Like 1
Topper

Ted, being a principal sponsor does NOT obligate you to pay for anything. You should, of course, give the couple a wedding present, but it doesn't have to be big. Being a principal sponsor is similar to being a god parent. The couple can come to you and your wife for advice whenever they need it. However, you are in no way responsible for ensuring their financial well-being. Supporting themselves and any future family is up to them when they declare themselves adults by getting married. A couple should NOT go to their principal sponsor or god parent looking for a "loan" (gift). If they do, you are certainly not obligated to give them anything.

BTW, principal sponsors are usually part of a Catholic wedding, but there is nothing that says the sponsors have to be Catholic. For a civil wedding, the couple just has to have two witnesses rather than sponsors. Regardless of how many people are asked to be sponsors, only two will be asked to be witnesses (who sign the marriage certificate). Usually, there are between four and eight principal sponsors, half men and half women.

Thanks Bill.  The ones asking us are Aileen's half brothers son. I'm not even sure if I ever met him, but I have met his father on many an occasion. That is part of the reason I was asking the question in the first place since I realize it is a compliment to receive such a honored position, but I really don't know them. I guess it's because of Aileen, more so then me. I did plan to send $200.00 anyway to help them out with expenses. I'm sure they will not be broken hearted if we do not attend.

You may have the honor and privilege of paying for everything...or...

http://mybarong2.com/ceremony-art-1075.html

Thank you. The link was a lot of help.

Luck of the Irish, plus I'm magically delicious!!

And I like 'em too.

• Like 1
Paul

Dude... Page not found....

http://www.bakitwhy.com/articles/wedding-series-traditional-pilipino-roman-catholic-wedding

The ones asking us are Aileen's half brothers son. I'm not even sure if I ever met him, but I have met his father on many an occasion.

They shouldn't have asked someone they have never met, to be Principal Sponsors. Principal Sponsors should be someone who is close to at least one of the parties entering into the marriage, if not both. 

That was my first thoughts, but I had to ask.

And, again, this isn't true. This is bad advice you have been given.

When people decide to offer advice, I really wish they would offer accurate advice, rather than what they "heard". 

Or, maybe they were confusing Principal Sponsors at a wedding, with God Parents? Not sure.

God Parents can have somewhat of a financial responsibility.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 2
woodchopper
spon·sor

ˈspänsər/

noun

1. 1.

a person or organization that provides funds for a project or activity carried out by another, in particular.

•  

•  

•  

2. 2.

a person who introduces and supports a proposal for legislation.

"a leading sponsor of the bill"

•  

•  

•  

verb

1. 1.

provide funds for (a project or activity or the person carrying it out).

"Joe is being sponsored by his church"

synonyms: finance, put up the money for, fundsubsidizebackpromote,support, contribute to, be a patron of, guaranteeunderwriteMore

•  

•  

•  

2. 2.

introduce and support (a proposal) in a legislative assembly.

"Senator Hardin sponsored the bill"

another abomination of the english meaning is,,"sir,,may i BORROW 10,000p to pay my aunties medicals",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :yahoo: 

Edited by woodchopper
  • Like 1
ProudPinay

We have been asked to be Principal Sponsors for a Nephew and his soon to be bride. I am not sure what this role is all about. Can anyone explain what the responsibilities and honors are of this position?

Is your wife the "trusted" Auntie, someone that the nephew listen to and respect when he needs advise. Is your wife, the Auntie that acts like a Mom or a Big Sister? How close and strong is the relationship between your nephew and your wife, to you both? Would you both be there to give guidance and support when needed? Have you guys helped him (whatever, however, whether financially, education, give him job,....) and are looked up to? If the answer is YES, then it is an HONOR that they picked you guys out of tremendous RESPECT AND TRUST and these couple must have seen positive things on your marriage.  

Are they after $ (do you have a lot?, shouldn't be too bad to share some then). Was the relationship and association your wife has with her nephew revolves around money? I hope not. His a relative so it is more than just monetary and gifts why they picked you. To take on the role is a serious matter. So if you and your wife don't feel that can fill the role as  "Ninong" and "Ninang"  (for whatever reason), you should decline. Also, you do not have to be present at the wedding, they can a get a stand-In or proxy in you place. 

I would not want to be asked as a Principal Sponsor so I can blatantly be used to finance someones wedding let alone by my own nephew, my own nephew should know there's no way I'd let that happen, I think even the poorest people in PI have sense to know that's an overkill. I just want to address the idea that it's NOT about $ in the first place to fill in the ROLE of a Principal Sponsor. My 2 cents! 

• Like 3
woodchopper

i agree the above post also,,as leonardo decaprio said in "catch me if u can",,similar to "I CONCUR"

Caveat Emptor

Being asked as Principal Sponsor in a wedding is an honor based on Filipino culture. Principal Sponsors are being looked up to by the newly weds with regard to family life, career and business decisions. As Principal sponsors are most likely  synonymous to witnesses who declare under oath that the couple are marrying each other in good faith and without any legal impediment to do so. As Principal Sponsor you don’t only act as a witness to the marriage ceremony but act as their mentor as well. Most of the people who were asked to be Principal Sponsors are either a relative of good family standing, a politician (for networking) or a family friend who the couple can rely on to for sound advice  and opinion when it comes to family life and finances. It does not necessarily mean that you have to give out money to the couple. What is important is that you give your blessing to the  solemnization of the wedding.

• Like 4
Johnny S

$

I have been asked to be a "Godfather" what is the principle of a Godfather can anyone tell me? Does this role also involve $...?