Principal Sponsors in a Filipino Wedding

Topper

We have been asked to be Principal Sponsors for a Nephew and his soon to be bride. I am not sure what this role is all about. Can anyone explain what the responsibilities and honors are of this position?

Edited by Topper
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headshot

• Topper

• RogerDuMond

• Monsoon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You guys can try and dress it however you like - but when a Filipino asks a Kano to be  a sponsor they are looking for money.

I posted in the beginning of this thread trying to be funny. I do that sometimes, that is "try" but rarely succeed.   The truth is, I have only been asked to be a sponsor once, by my brother-in-law.

My wife asked if we would buy anything for my godsons upcoming baptism party   I said they didn't ask for my help 9 months ago   she gave me a blank stare and said ............ huh?

Posted Images

Alfred E. Neuman

It makes them feel important if there's a Kano sponsor. $200

• Admin (Retired)
broden

make sure you get your representation

Me9VIqm.jpg

• Like 4
Nangulo

I was a principle sponsor for my niece in Badian.  All I did was bring a present and sign some papers.  No big deal.

• Like 4
Paul

There should be four of you, principal sponsors. It isn't as money intensive as people are making it sound. 

This is the closest bit of information I have found, from the way I learned about Filipino weddings:

http://www.bakitwhy.com/articles/wedding-series-traditional-pilipino-roman-catholic-wedding

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1
Headshot

Ted, being a principal sponsor does NOT obligate you to pay for anything. You should, of course, give the couple a wedding present, but it doesn't have to be big. Being a principal sponsor is similar to being a god parent. The couple can come to you and your wife for advice whenever they need it. However, you are in no way responsible for ensuring their financial well-being. Supporting themselves and any future family is up to them when they declare themselves adults by getting married. A couple should NOT go to their principal sponsor or god parent looking for a "loan" (gift). If they do, you are certainly not obligated to give them anything.

BTW, principal sponsors are usually part of a Catholic wedding, but there is nothing that says the sponsors have to be Catholic. For a civil wedding, the couple just has to have two witnesses rather than sponsors. Regardless of how many people are asked to be sponsors, only two will be asked to be witnesses (who sign the marriage certificate). Usually, there are between four and eight principal sponsors, half men and half women.

• Like 5
cvgtpc1

Is this confused with being a witness to sign the license?  I've never heard of this myself.

Only that a kid can have 50 god parents lol

Felt honored when asked the first time thinking it followed the western model till I saw the crowd sitting in that section at the baptism.

• Like 2
RogerDuMond

Ted, being a principal sponsor does NOT obligate you to pay for anything. You should, of course, give the couple a wedding present, but it doesn't have to be big. Being a principal sponsor is similar to being a god parent. The couple can come to you and your wife for advice whenever they need it. However, you are in no way responsible for ensuring their financial well-being. Supporting themselves and any future family is up to them when they declare themselves adults by getting married. A couple should NOT go to their principal sponsor or god parent looking for a "loan" (gift). If they do, you are certainly not obligated to give them anything.

BTW, principal sponsors are usually part of a Catholic wedding, but there is nothing that says the sponsors have to be Catholic. For a civil wedding, the couple just has to have two witnesses rather than sponsors. Regardless of how many people are asked to be sponsors, only two will be asked to be witnesses (who sign the marriage certificate). Usually, there are between four and eight principal sponsors, half men and half women.

True except that civil weddings also have sponsors, at least in the province they do.

• Like 1
Headshot

True except that civil weddings also have sponsors, at least in the province they do.

They can, but they don't have to.

Captainmike

There should be four of you, principal sponsors. It isn't as money intensive as people are making it sound. 

This is the closest bit of information I have found, from the way I learned about Filipino weddings:

http://www.bakitwhy.com/articles/wedding-series-traditional-pilipino-roman-catholic-wedding 

Dude... Page not found....

Captainmike

You've gotta love Filipino weddings.....  Mindanao is a tough neighborhood...  (It's a Remington R4... The Philippine Army just bought 63,000 of them...)

WeddingGun

Edited by Captainmike
  • Like 1