Sign in to follow this  
batman2525

Carinderia in Cebu.

Paul

I would like her to do it because I think she would be happier(its a pain in the ass going to work in the UK at 6 am in the winter) ..........however,for how long I dont know.

You had me convinced at "... going to work in the UK...".

I would ask myself - Is there any other  possible reason why she now wants to be in Cebu rather than than with me in the UK ??   Such things are not unheard of .

He has already stated that it is her concern for her family. 

Davaoeno

He has already stated that it is her concern for her family. 

Yes he did . And I said that " I would ask myself - Is there any other  possible reason why she now wants to be in Cebu rather than than with me in the UK ??   "

The OP said "  Any thoughts or advice? "   Are some thoughts allowed and others not allowed ?  

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 1

RogerDuMond

I guarantee if she became even a little successful someone would open up another Carinderia to the left of her and then the next day another one would open up to the right of her were nobody makes any money...

Not exactly true, the ones with the best food prosper.

• Like 2

Paul

The OP said "  Any thoughts or advice? "   Are some thoughts allowed and others not allowed ?  

True. And, I could be wrong here. But, I don't think that was the direction he was going in with that request. If I am wrong here, apologies.

Davaoeno

Not exactly true, the ones with the best food prosper.

sometimes the ones with the cheapest food prosper !

True. And, I could be wrong here. But, I don't think that was the direction he was going in with that request. If I am wrong here, apologies.

No need for apologies. Isnt that the real strength of Linc- a place where people can come for honest comments and advice- even if it is something they hadn't or didn't want to consider.   Unlike many forums Linc is not a bunch of "yes" men . 

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 2

Ozbrum

Anyone actually owned a carinderia ?

Questions i would ask....

Have you considered any other type of business?    water station, laundry, small franchise

just to give you comparisons....e.g.  capital outlay, hours worked, potential growth, security, etc.

I think a lot of small business here apply completely different logic to our way of thinking...... e.g." better to earn a little than nothing.."

no point your wife wanting to spend time with her parents , only to find she is working 14 hours per day 7 days a week .,

my local "cafe"  sells an average filipino type breakfast .... ( noodles and ?? ) for 30 pesos ....   but i am sure you will both work out the details next time you are here...

on a support note.....  i spent many " unhappy " hours going to work in the snow etc at 6 am.... have to say i don't miss it, :cold:

all the best...

• Like 2

samatm

Ok go home... but carenderia is a tough call.   we tried and failed.     We wanted a to have decent clean place with good food ... but we couldn't price it low it enough.   Folks would rather pay 5 pesos less and eat in filth..rather than at our place.   Problem was our location was in a poor place...   no one had 2 pesos to rub together.   It was long long hours and tremendous headache.  We lost our shirts.. on the renovation and had landlord headeaches..when he opened a metal grinding ship right next to us... nothing like metal filings coming into your place..   It was a disaster..

Now we have foodstall concept that is easy peasy. easy to manage and earns a bit.   Consider her options. 

• Like 2

batman2525

I would ask myself - Is there any other  possible reason why she now wants to be in Cebu rather than than with me in the UK ??   Such things are not unheard of .

I failed to mention that if she does decide to go ahead with the Carinderia I will be going to Cebu also,however I wont be hanging around the joint very much.

• Like 2

trthebees

Just a couple of thoughts.

I don't know how your girlfriends contract is set up...whether from a Phils agency, or now simply direct to the NHS. But to avoid burning her bridges, could she present it as, say, a year"s sabbatical owing to her parents age?

And while in Cebu, maybe a hunt round to try to find some medical position as she has good experience could be an option unless the carenderia idea is to enable her to be with her parents full time.. 

• Like 1

batman2525

could she present it as, say, a year"s sabbatical owing to her parents age?

Yes....she has mentioned this,in case the Carinderia doesn't work out.

• Like 1

liquido

I remember years back there was a Canadien guy here in Davao that had a Carinderia  with his wife that was quite successful with decent food and done right.His neighbors on either side of him were so jealous of him having all the business that somehow he had to shutdown the place because of all the BS that they caused him..I know there is more to the story...Why cant someone here like Thailand have a fresh cooking cart to whip up fresh wok stir fried noodles and veggie dishes unlike the very tired carinderia food that sits from early morning until night at ambient temperatures.....

• Like 3

Scotsbloke

Yes....she has mentioned this,in case the Carinderia doesn't work out.

How're you feeling about his Batty?  Bit of a change for you but I reckon you'll cope with new situations with aplomb - in yer English way ;)

• Like 1

JohnD

The moment she departs to be with her parents and open her carinderia you need to prepare yourself that most likely you will soon become her financial support.

It sounds wonderful taking care of the folks, away from the job she hates and being her own boss...you know it so cheap to live here you won't have to make that much.

Its a nice little dream until it isn't. 

• Like 2

Scotsbloke

The moment she departs to be with her parents and open her carinderia you need to prepare yourself that most likely you will soon become her financial support.

Batty didn't come up The Clyde in a banana boat, chappy.  He's old enough and ugly enough to know the score.

Edited by Scotsbloke
  • Like 1

dHb

A carenderia business, based on my mother-in-law's experience, is just not worth it - too much work, little profit and a whole lot of credit... She would wake up around 3am everyday in order to have food ready for the breakfast crowd and would fall asleep in the middle of the day. We finally convinced her to stop and she turned it over to a relative who is doing reasonably okay but still saddled with credit. I raised this issue with them and was told that business would suffer if they didn't offer credit!

One neighbor started making siopao - he would have it ready in the afternoon, when people usually feel like having a snack and was usually sold out by 7 at the latest. He did pretty good with this - he would invest 200 pesos and make about 400 pesos profit everyday. Not much by our standards but reasonable for a couple of hours of daily work in the Philippines.

• Like 3