Sign in to follow this  
batman2525

Carinderia in Cebu.

batman2525

My G/F who lives in UK currently working for the NHS and making "ok" money just got back to the UK after 6 weeks vacation in Cebu.

She is fed up of her NHS job(11 years) and wants to start her own Carinderia  business in Cebu,possibly starting with one and then adding another,her parents are in their 80s and starting this business would give her more time with them before they die.

She believes she can make enough money to pay for her responsibilities (as she calls it) to her parents.

She has a house in Cebu with a tiny mortgage and she says she could live much cheaper in Cebu than what she does in the UK.

Any thoughts or advice?

Jester

Tough call!   She can live cheaper in Cebu, but she likely will make way less money with no benefits or retirement.   Spending time with parents, priceless. I would not want to have to make the choice.   Jester  

• Like 2

batman2525

I said go for it.....you only live once.

• Like 4

Enuff

regrets are a bitch!!

shes has been in UK long enough to know which she prefers and sounds like she prefers family over money.

you got a good girl there, let her be happy.

• Like 8

Paul

Trouble is, there are only another 5000 carenderias in Cebu to compete with. Make sure she has a backup / escape plan.

• Like 9

liquido

Besides having 5000 Carinderia's with all there food being the same..I guess you could go the sori sori store route where they have 10,000 of those... 

• Like 1

Monsoon

If you look at it this way:

Tiny microscopic margins, tremendous competition. 

Would you still consider it? 

If so, best of luck to you/her.

A friend of mine (friend's wife) spent several years working in the UK as a nurse. She has a nice nest egg in the bank, enough to live a loooong time conservatively in the Philippines. She recently built a small resort and has it on long term lease to a foreigner. 

She can't get back to the UK fast enough.

As she said, was nice to visit, but gotta go! 

• Like 8

woodchopper

is quite easy to get any "profit margin" u need to maintain the business,,a sarisari store is suspect because the less fortunate expect the product for cost price,,haha.

i regularly help a now dead mate's GF with supplies for her Sari down south but yesterday i itemized the docket with prices needed to maintain profit.

years ago i was net contact with a woman who borrowed 20kp every month and i showed her how to maintain profit margin,,she stopped borrowings in 2 months.

the simplest way to obtain the required profit margin is to google,,for instance,,,"calculate 50% profit margin"

ur gal being experienced OFW would be savvy to this eh

• Like 4

Busted Dick

I say go for it!

We have a carenderia; like so many things, location is important.  We are based on a busy road junction which sees a high volume of both traffic and pedestrians.  We have been operating a little over 3 months and generate enough profit so that my gf no longer has to be 'hands on'; her role now being to ensure that we have sufficient stocks etc and to count the money!  My role was to provide the initial investment which I have yet to see a return on, but I did not expect a return within the first few months so no problem there (it wasn't a huge amount of money anyway so I can write it off if required).

The biggest positive for me is that I no longer get asked for an allowance to meet her daily needs.

• Like 3

batman2525

I would like her to do it because I think she would be happier(its a pain in the ass going to work in the UK at 6 am in the winter) ..........however,for how long I dont know.

USMC-Retired

I think the business may just be justification she will not be idle there. However her motives may be the family. May want explore it.

• Like 1

Enuff

what's there to explore?

he already said she wants to be closer to her parents and she hates her job in the UK

• Like 1

Davaoeno

I would ask myself - Is there any other  possible reason why she now wants to be in Cebu rather than than with me in the UK ??   Such things are not unheard of .

• Like 4

woodchopper

very cold in england,,long underwear etc,,i never seen that here,,,,,,, :kissass:

liquido

I would like her to do it because I think she would be happier(its a pain in the ass going to work in the UK at 6 am in the winter) ..........however,for how long I dont know.

I guarantee if she became even a little successful someone would open up another Carinderia to the left of her and then the next day another one would open up to the right of her were nobody makes any money...

• Like 2