Living In "Sin" Whilst Under 21

samatm

whoa now back up pardner.... let talk about this 18 - 21 yos must have parental consent to marry.   Is that so?   

Edited by samatm
miles-high

18yo: legal age to marry but…
18-21yo: need a parental consent
21-25yo: need a parental advice
Over 25yo: no need of any parental consent or advice

If no parental consent, your marriage is deemed voidable or annullable… a petition for the annulment of the marriage may be filed by your parents, guardian or person having substitute parental authority over you. However, after attaining 21yo, and you both lived together as husband and wife, the marriage is ratified.

In case both or either one of you is between 21yo and 25yo, you are obliged to ask your parents or guardian for the parental advice.
http://www.youthpolicy.org/factsheets/country/philippines/

In addition, a US citizen needs to obtain an Affidavit In Lieu of Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry.
http://manila.usembassy.gov/marriage.html

• Like 3
Paul

whoa now back up pardner.... let talk about this 18 - 21 yos must have parental consent to marry.   Is that so?   

Please tell me you are joking. As long as you have been on this site? Surely, you have known that by now, no?

• Like 2
samatm

Please tell me you are joking. As long as you have been on this site? Surely, you have known that by now, no?

Yup its true..I'm not joking.  That has escaped me.   I guess because in my case My wife was 21 yrs old  when we were married and I don't recall any parental consent or advice nonsense.    But now that my daughter is 19 im thinking its not really such a crazy law,  fact is I kind of like it. :) 

• Like 1
colemanlee

Its one of the reasons we waited to get married as long as we did....wife was 23 when we met, and her parents were dead...would have had to look up an old aunt to get married...we just waited until she had turned 25...no problem....whats interesting now...is when one of her siblings (23) wanted to get married...she had to give permission....

shadow

Its one of the reasons we waited to get married as long as we did....wife was 23 when we met, and her parents were dead...would have had to look up an old aunt to get married...we just waited until she had turned 25...no problem....whats interesting now...is when one of her siblings (23) wanted to get married...she had to give permission....

From the Family code;

Art. 14.In case either or both of the contracting parties, not having been emancipated by a previous marriage, are between the ages of eighteen and twenty-one, they shall, in addition to the requirements of the preceding articles, exhibit to the local civil registrar, the consent to their marriage of their father, mother, surviving parent or guardian, or persons having legal charge of them, in the order mentioned. Such consent shall be manifested in writing by the interested party, who personally appears before the proper local civil registrar, or in the form of an affidavit made in the presence of two witnesses and attested before any official authorized by law to administer oaths. The personal manifestation shall be recorded in both applications for marriage license, and the affidavit, if one is executed instead, shall be attached to said applications. (61a)

Art. 15. Any contracting party between the age of twenty-one and twenty-five shall be obliged to ask their parents or guardian for advice upon the intended marriage. If they do not obtain such advice, or if it be unfavorable, the marriage license shall not be issued till after three months following the completion of the publication of the application therefor. A sworn statement by the contracting parties to the effect that such advice has been sought, together with the written advice given, if any, shall be attached to the application for marriage license. Should the parents or guardian refuse to give any advice, this fact shall be stated in the sworn statement. (62a)

Edited by shadow
  • Like 1
Davaoeno

Typical pinoy legalese-   they want them to get permission, but instead of saying that say they have to " ask for advice"

• Like 1