LaGermania oven settings mystery: suggestions?

questsea73

questsea73

My landlady furnishes a LaGermania stove with oven as part of my house rental.  It is bottled gas powered.  The control knob on the front of the stove controlling pilot light gas starting for oven turns counter-clockwise.  One quarter turn has a marking "high" enameled to side and at one half turn "low" is enameled alongside that point.  There is an oven warm up time needed dataplate pasted to the door of the oven telling how long the oven should be warmed up to reach various centigrade temperature all the way up to 270 degrees.

There are no tic marks, no stops, nothing that shows you where 160C, or 220C OR 250C for example are.  So how do you set the proper temperature to bake a cake with this imprecise setup?

Is this normal with LaGermania(Philippines co-production effort) for their ovens?

I will be buying a sit-on-wire baking rack thermometer to try to make this workable although really awkward.  Hopefully I can construct a workable estimate of how far to turn the knob for each bake effort.

Am I missing something here besides  "This is the Philippines"?

Ken 

• Like 1
Davaoeno

use the thermometer to mark the stops by the dial.   Job finished.

• Like 2
shadow

My landlady furnishes a LaGermania stove with oven as part of my house rental.  It is bottled gas powered.  The control knob on the front of the stove controlling pilot light gas starting for oven turns counter-clockwise.  One quarter turn has a marking "high" enameled to side and at one half turn "low" is enameled alongside that point.  There is an oven warm up time needed dataplate pasted to the door of the oven telling how long the oven should be warmed up to reach various centigrade temperature all the way up to 270 degrees.

There are no tic marks, no stops, nothing that shows you where 160C, or 220C OR 250C for example are.  So how do you set the proper temperature to bake a cake with this imprecise setup?

Is this normal with LaGermania(Philippines co-production effort) for their ovens?

I will be buying a sit-on-wire baking rack thermometer to try to make this workable although really awkward.  Hopefully I can construct a workable estimate of how far to turn the knob for each bake effort.

Am I missing something here besides  "This is the Philippines"?

Ken 

On mine, if it is turned on high and left sit for 30 minutes, it will get to about 300 deg F.

It's about to get converted into a great smoker, as an oven to actually bake in, it is near worthless.

Nangulo

The lower-end La Germania have no thermostatic control.  You move the knob between high and low to keep the interior at the desired temperature (fat chance of this happening).  I have one with a thermostatic controller that works well as far as the thermostat goes.  The tick marks are a bit off so I use two internal thermometers that hang off the wire rack.

You may be able to find out more about how your unit operates at:  

http://www.lagermania.ph/

• Like 2
Lordblacknail

so who can recommend a decent oven?

Davaoeno

I have a Glem from Italy . I highly recommend it 

Glem_med.png Glem GL965MVI Freestanding Gas Oven/Stove

$1,699

best-price.png
Save $1200
(41%) off RRP of $2899

I bought it used online. It was 3 months old. The seller paid 68,000 php for it . It was advertised for 30K which i was very much prepared to pay but before I could say anything she said I could have it for 25K. 

post-8045-0-28164600-1458306445_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

We have a Germania

you can bake in it with reasonable results but the heat distribution is rather patchy so we use a pizza stone in the bottom to store some heat. I thought the uneven heat distribution was due to poor insulation and brought some ceramic blanket over to improve it. After pulling it apart it was reasonably insulated on both sides but no insulation at the top- the design doesnt allow for it.

As for other choices Du Ek Sam has more upmarket  ovens like Ariston which are reasonably good.

Ricbak

jtmwatchbiz

so who can recommend a decent oven?

last year we bought a westinghouse gas oven/range combo. it was quite reasonable at under 9k new.  it works much better than the la germania we had before it as my wife likes to bake. 

if i was rich i would buy something like ian's oven pictured.  man oh man my wife would love me long time if i brought something like that home! :) 

• Like 4
SkyMan

I have a Glem from Italy . I highly recommend it .

Glem GL965MVI Freestanding Gas Oven/Stove

$1,699

best-price.png
Save $1200
(41%) off RRP of $2899

I bought it used online. It was 3 months old. The seller paid 68,000 php for it . It was advertised for 30K which i was very much prepared to pay but before I could say anything she said I could have it for 25K. 

That looks nice but also has no temp marks for the oven.  Maybe when our cheapo carps out they will have ovens here with thermostats.

Davaoeno

Maybe when our cheapo carps out they will have ovens here with thermostats.

If Glem does that they will probably put the temperature numbers in Italian !

• Like 1
Skywalker

post-12091-0-31678700-1458381938_thumb.jpeg

Put this one in my condo. Got it at the Design Centre in AS Fortuna. It's an expensive clock since I've never used the oven and probably never will.

• Like 1
SkyMan

If Glem does that they will probably put the temperature numbers in Italian !

Damn, I don't know Italian.

• Like 2
RogerDat

LaGermania Is what I used here for 10m years, The temp settings on the oven dial are wrong, U need a in oven T stat as has been suggested here and the oven dial can be calibrated on my old oven from 2000. I have not seen a new oven here that could bake corn bread. they are all crap!

questsea73

Thanks for input.  I guess I will limp along with my Asahi OT-2311 which can handle up to 30 cm(12 inch) wide pans and do two cycles if needed and the heck with electric bill.  I had in 2013 the same toaster oven when living in Tagum and ran for 3 months and it did a good job.  I am not so sure the one I have now is as good due to uneven toasting of bread.

Same old story here in Philippines.  If you think generally you will get quality(as we know it in USA and elsewhere) for a reasonable price, then get your glasses prescription changed or report to the nearest asylum for your periodic electroshock therapy session.

Ken

• Like 3
RogerDuMond

if i was rich i would buy something like ian's oven pictured. man oh man my wife would love me long time if i brought something like that home! :)

Well you know where it is, now it is just a matter of going and getting it.

• Like 2