Online/internet business

retireyoung

Reason for edit: Spyware is being spread form your site.

I guess that is where the money is... B)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• retireyoung

• Penguin

• Balay

• mr_whippy

Thailand is full of all these hapless expats that would have the world believe that they're managing to make a living at this kind of thing. Some of them are even trying to pretend, for whatever reason, that they're even getting rich on it.

In actual fact, 95% of them are earning sod all. South East Asia is a lot better place to spend money than to earn it. And recession or no, the west is still the best place to earn cash - which is probably why 99% of Filipinos would bite your arm off to get the chance to do it.

Thailand is full of all these hapless expats that would have the world believe that they're managing to make a living at this kind of thing. Some of them are even trying to pretend, for whatever reason, that they're even getting rich on it.

In actual fact, 95% of them are earning sod all. South East Asia is a lot better place to spend money than to earn it. And recession or no, the west is still the best place to earn cash - which is probably why 99% of Filipinos would bite your arm off to get the chance to do it.

Then I must be the one of the 5% who is making enough money to live on.

retireyoung

How did you detect spyware is on my site?

It is definitely not how I make my money.

There are always doubters when people start talking about making money on the internet, discussions which take place on sites that are making money for the owners of sites like this. I know it is probably not the prime objective of the owner of this forum as ads are fairly minimal, but it still must make something.

There are also a lot of different ways of making money on the internet, like writing ebooks, adsense, affiliate programs, hosting, blogging, forums, paid membership sites, classified sites, PPC, domaining...

Curious as to think why anyone doing this is a "hapless expat"? Thailand is nice and cheap place to live, so it is no wonder that there a lot of people living there making money from the internet.

I started this thread as many people talk about starting bars/restaurants/stores etc. An online business can be started with little upfront investment, so there is much less risk involved. Plenty of successful Philippinos too.

One more thing, I am earning money mostly from Japan, US and European countries. I can work anywhere, but I enjoy living in Asia like anyone else here on the forum.

How did you detect spyware is on my site?

It is definitely not how I make my money.

It wasn't hard. I clicked the link you gave and my AV/Spyware software went nuts and warned me it had deleted the threat!

Edited by Bob Ward
The Mason

Something tells me you are not well-versed in the financial opportunities the Internet provides. It is very easy to make a decent living from Adsense and affiliate revenue. An even easier way to earn money online is to provide written content to people that run sites like these. There is easy money to be had by providing unique, search engine optimized content to site owners.

Thailand is nice and cheap place to live. There a lot of people living there making money from the internet.

correction - there's a lot of people that SAY they are making money from the internet. In actual fact very few are making anything at all. The only people actually making decent livings in South east Asia, Thailand and the Philippines included, are working for multinational companies, not fishing around for bits of change on the web. As far as Thailand goes, and even though for most people it's a terrible job, English teaching, which 35-40,000 baht a month is about the average wage, is still probably the best way to scratch a living there. Hardly any of the bar/guesthouse owners - who aren't of course in actual fact owners at all as most of the concern has to be in somebody else's name - are making a bean, and probably more than half are losing money. Which is why you can hardly move for FOR SALE signs in Samui and Pattaya these days, especially now that the tourism downturn has really kicked in.

Thanks, I will have to check into it. Can you recommend some kind of tool to check this?

I'm not that well versed in web site maintenance but I suspect it might be one of your advertisers slipping something in on you. I can't find the site again. email me the link through the forum.

Thanks, I will have to check into it. Can you recommend some kind of tool to check this?

PM me your links. I may be able to help you find the source.

correction - there's a lot of people that SAY they are making money from the internet. In actual fact very few are making anything at all.

I guess it all depends on what the definition of how much "money" is defined.

There are for sure some real ballers making money from the internet. Most of them do not talk about it in public to people they meet drunk in a bar.

I would agree that all the showoffs and ones bragging about how much money they make from a keyword are the ones making the least. Because if your are making bank off certain keywords... it is best to keep it to yourself.

retireyoung

Can't message yet. Maybe I don't have the post count. Anyway I will check with some friends and my hosting company.

I would say there are a lot of people making good money from the internet.

1. some just keep to themselves

2. some make more money telling people how they make money on the internet

3. some are scammers and spammers, but some of these people are getting caught (especially if they are in western countries)

I work mostly by myself and don't make money by selling ebooks/courses on how to make money on the internet - although I do have a blog.

I wish I could brag about how much money I was making :D I would make more money from working for a company but I love the freedom of being able to work when and where I want. I decided a couple of years ago I didn't want to wait until I was 60 or so to retire.

I would be happy just to meet with others who want to or are doing something similar.

Most people read about someone making thousands/millions of dollars, they try it themselves, spend a bit of time on it, make no money and give up quickly thinking it is all a scam. Like any business it requires a lot of hard work and patience - at least initially.

The first site I started I wasn't really planning on making money from it. I read about affiliate programs, joined up not expecting anything, but then came home one day and I had a cheque in the mail. It was an incredible feeling receiving money in my mail box rather than a bill!

Thailand is nice and cheap place to live. There a lot of people living there making money from the internet.

correction - there's a lot of people that SAY they are making money from the internet. In actual fact very few are making anything at all. The only people actually making decent livings in South east Asia, Thailand and the Philippines included, are working for multinational companies, not fishing around for bits of change on the web. As far as Thailand goes, and even though for most people it's a terrible job, English teaching, which 35-40,000 baht a month is about the average wage, is still probably the best way to scratch a living there. Hardly any of the bar/guesthouse owners - who aren't of course in actual fact owners at all as most of the concern has to be in somebody else's name - are making a bean, and probably more than half are losing money. Which is why you can hardly move for FOR SALE signs in Samui and Pattaya these days, especially now that the tourism downturn has really kicked in.

another time you prove yourself to be the idiot. Before focusing on long term things(heavy into programming) in September and October, I was making more than 65,000 pesos a month. Now it's down a bit, but enough to still support me and my family.

About the for sale signs on Samui and Phuket, as you said, they all have to be in a local's name....in other words it sounds like a slowdown among the locals. Nevermind, only a fool buys in Thailand. Prices are high but rent is cheap.

As others have said, the money is good and until you've done, you really can't comment.

Oops, why am I correcting you? Yep, you are right, no one is making a dime online, we are all lying. Better that you and everyone else stay out of the industry and leave the money making, excuse losing money to the rest of us.

<snip>

It would be great to meet for coffee at Starbucks to exchange ideas about WordPress, Adsense, and similar topics. <snip>

I have a fair bit of experience with WordPress. I was, at one time, heavily involved with the project before it was well known. In fact, I was one of the first 500 people registered as a WordPress user! It has come a long way since then, I can tell you.

It's so quick and easy to set up a site with WordPress, and having one hosting account and using add-on domains and URL redirects, you can set up multiple sites under one account. I am in the process of setting up a couple of sites for some friends right now.

I don't think you will be disappointed with WordPress, and there is a LOT of support, information, and free plugins, themes, and other goodies. Many themes take advantage of widgets and you can use those widgets for things like AdSense, affiliate links, photo galleries and so on.

<snip>

I would be happy just to meet with others who want to or are doing something similar.

<snip>

I'm a "want to". I am planning to live simply when I retire. I just want to work to keep busy and pay expenses. I don't need to support cars and expensive vacations and all that. My problem is that I just don't really know enough about the business end of the internet. I can put up a site easily enough, but then what? :D

I'm still in my 40s now, and eventually I will have a gov't pension as well as my work pension, but who knows if they will be enough to support me? I'm really interested in helping to ease the difficulties of my wife's family in Cebu. Even just helping to set up a business where they can work and get a wage they can more or less count on would be great.

I do have experience running a business. At one time I worked for Big Oil as a retail manager with a gas bar, convenience store, shower and laundry facilities as well as a carwash. It was open 24/7/365 and believe me, I understand what it takes to run a business.