Online/internet business

retireyoung

retireyoung

I run a bunch of websites that bring me enough money to live reasonably comfortable in SE Asia, although I am looking to find somewhere to settle on a semi-permanent basis. Since I work by myself, I sometimes miss the interaction of working with other people.

Is there anyone else on the forum running websites for a living?

I make a reasonable amount of money, but would like to extend it a little if possible. Perhaps teaching other people how to set up a website and profit from the internet.

I also have a lot of experience fixing computer hardware/software problems, but I am sure there are already a lot of locals running these kinds of businesses.

Any thought or ideas on this?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• retireyoung

• Penguin

• Balay

• mr_whippy

Perhaps teaching other people how to set up a website and profit from the internet.

About 95+% of people will lose interest when they don't get rich in the first week. I would recommend continuing to build your own network of sites and increasing the return from them. Either take a laptop out somewhere with wifi like starbucks or hire somebody cheap to help with the "busy work" on your sites if you are looking for some interaction. :D

Edited by T.S.

My wife and I have created several websites in recent years to help us sell some beach properties we owned in Cebu. Once they sold, we sort of lost interest in building websites with a business purpose in mind. A couple months ago, however, I learned about WordPress after reading WordPress for Dummies. I'm about to launch my first site soon and have plans for a second one that deals with the subject of online education.

It would be great to meet for coffee at Starbucks to exchange ideas about WordPress, Adsense, and similar topics. If anyone is interested in a meeting, please send a PM to me or post a schedule a few days in advance to meet at either Ayala or SM and we will just see who shows.

tom_shor

I am not in the Philippines now but I am interested in learning more about this. I have done some with wordpress already. Always interested in learning more.

retireyoung

It is interesting that my adsense is up even in the current economic downturn. Affiliate sales are down a little though.

I would definitely be interested in meeting up with people when I get to Cebu. I am in Thailand now and basically just stay in places on the beach that have free wifi - not a bad way of earning a living.

The visa situation in the Philippines sounds like it is easy to stay long term and the fact that people seem to speak English well is a plus for me.

While I am no expert, I have been blogging on wordpress for 3-4 years and would be happy to help anyone if they need it. I am also familiar with Joomla and vbulletin.

I run websites and am doing ok, but I need to increase sales soon. Sometime within the next year I am planning a 6 month visit to the Philippines and believe I'll spend 90% of that time in Cebu. It's quite a ways off from now but I would definitely be interested in meeting others in Cebu who earn a living online. :thats-funny:

mattwilkie
I run a bunch of websites that bring me enough money to live reasonably comfortable in SE Asia, although I am looking to find somewhere to settle on a semi-permanent basis. Since I work by myself, I sometimes miss the interaction of working with other people.

Is there anyone else on the forum running websites for a living?

I make a reasonable amount of money, but would like to extend it a little if possible. Perhaps teaching other people how to set up a website and profit from the internet.

I also have a lot of experience fixing computer hardware/software problems, but I am sure there are already a lot of locals running these kinds of businesses.

Im up for any meet ups business related ;)

Can I hear some stories on how some of you got started in the website design/management business? I am currently going to school for web development. This would help me out quite a bit!

retireyoung

I started my first website on Tokyo where I was living in 2006. Basically it is a travel guide and I make money from google Adsense, hotel and tour bookings through various affiliate programs. From there I just kept developing more sites and eventually was making enough to live on so I quit my job and have been traveling since while updating my sites.

I am not a programmer and I buy templates or use free ones available, so you don't necessarily have to have design skills. More importantly you have to come up with good ideas for a site that is unique in some way and then market it.

I started my first website on Tokyo where I was living in 2006. Basically it is a travel guide and I make money from google Adsense, hotel and tour bookings through various affiliate programs. From there I just kept developing more sites and eventually was making enough to live on so I quit my job and have been traveling since while updating my sites.

I am not a programmer and I buy templates or use free ones available, so you don't necessarily have to have design skills. More importantly you have to come up with good ideas for a site that is unique in some way and then market it.

What you're doing makes sense and seems to be providing a valuable service to those who visit your site. You have knowledge that you are sharing with others. Some of these sites I've visited, however, are just a scam. They provide almost nothing of value - just links to other sites.

I understand how Adsense works, but I have no clue about affiliate programs. What are they? How to they work to produce money for you as the website owner? How can you get started with an affiliate program?

I understand how Adsense works, but I have no clue about affiliate programs. What are they? How to they work to produce money for you as the website owner? How can you get started with an affiliate program?

Read the FAQ on Commission Junction

As a website owner... you are considered the Publisher.

Can you give us link to your sites?

Am interested but never find time to study it.

Too many things I want to learn: project management certification,

supply management certification and C# programming.

retireyoung
Can you give us link to your sites?

Am interested but never find time to study it.

Too many things I want to learn: project management certification,

supply management certification and C# programming.

(Link Removed, see reason below) is the Tokyo site I mentioned.

If someone books a hotel through my site, by clicking a link, I get 5% of the sale, which for a city like Tokyo is a nice little earner. This is basically what an affiliate program is.

Keep studying what you are doing - all knowledge helps. If you have the time start a website or blog on your hobby. That is often how successful sites start, rather than starting one purely with profit in mind.

Edited by Bob Ward
Spyware is being spread form your site.