Recommended kindergarten/school?

MisterLMP

Hi,

My filipina wife and I are thinking about spending at least 6 months in the Cebu before our now 5 years old son starts school in Sweden there we live now (school start at age 6 here). We want that stay to be as awarding as possible for him, so we want to hear your opinion/experience regarding if we should:

A) Let him attend some kind of school/kindergarten
or
B) Just hang around with his relatives as much as possible

Are there any kindergartens/schools which fits our requirements? They are:

• Somewhat secular, since we don't think religious belief should be part of schooling
  • Language-wise we primary want his language skills to develop in Cebuano, secondary in English (he will learn that later in school anyway). He currently has some basic understanding of both Cebuano and English, however his primary language is Swedish.
  • Should not cost a fortune, even if we understand that kindergarten/school comes with a price tag in the Philippines.
  • He has spent 3 years in nursery school/kindergarten in Sweden.

Any recommendations?

maccydee

Hi there & welcome to the forum. I think it would be a good idea to let him join a kindergarten here but in order to answer you more I'm sure the members need to know where you plan on staying ? That way you will get honest reviews by folks that know the area / schools. My son went to a kindergarten in Naga called Exceed & I've been happy with him there as he will be going into grade 3 after the holidays which start in a week or two. Keep posting & im sure you will find a wealth of knowledge in the forums & in the archives.

MisterLMP

Thanks for the reply. We are planning to stay around the Banawa/Guadalupe area in Cebu.

Lyceum Of Cebu in Andres Abellana St, is an option for you, I think
Not focus on religion

Price annually
School 16k
Books 2.5-3k
+uniform

BUT....

I think he has more advantages of interacting with family and friends

Svårt att hitta en skola eller myndighet som inte inkluderar religion dagligen.

Jawny

You might find that enrollment in a school is a bit more complex than just showing up and applying to the school. Just a heads up about that possibility. Some schools can be ridiculously strict about enrollment requirements. We had a neighbor child who had never gone to school. He was around nine years old. The school he went to for enrollment to grade 1 said he could not enroll until he had attended kindergarten classes. Perhaps an exception, but just a warning.

My own view, given what you've said, the time spent here in contact with other kids, various ages, will be enriching enough. I had a child born in Germany with a similar situation. He benefited a lot just from play and such with neighbor kids.

• Like 1
Headshot

You might want to look at Montessori-type schools. There are a few of them scattered around the Cebu Metro area. Really, the majority of good schools (especially in elementary and pre-elementary) here are religion-sponsored private schools, so you are pretty limited on decent private schools (where you child will actually get a good education) that are secular. The other alternatives to religion-sposored schools are international schools, but you said you don't want to spend a fortune, and international schools are generally not cheap. As far as Cebuano (Bisayan) goes, chances are good that he will pick that up better at home (from your wife, her relatives and any helpers you have) than in any school.

Only public schools here teach the early grades (including pre-elementary) in Bisayan. I seriously doubt you will find a decent public school in Cebu. My wife was a teacher at Banawa Elementary School (and she is a good teacher) when we got married, and neither of us would think of sending our child to a school like that. Simply put, the emphasis of public schools here is NOT on education, and teachers are often pulled away from their classrooms (with no adult left in the classroom).

That doesn't mean that I think you should keep your son out of school, though, because children should get a well-rounded experience in pre-elementary (nursery and kindergarten). He won't get that either at home (or in a public school) here (unless you and your wife are willing to spend a LOT of time researching and preparing a variety of lessons for your son. It would require a lot of skills as well as time to do it that way (which most people wouldn't have). Anyway...that's my thinking. You will have to decide what is best for your son.

BTW, our daughter (4-year-old) just finished Nursery 2 at SHS Ateneo de Cebu (a Catholic school), and we love it there. She gets a great enriching environment there, and she has really been challenged to do the best she can there this year, and she will return this next school year for kindergarten. We have been impressed by the teachers and the school's focus on education.

• Like 1
Alfred E. Neuman

Smart Owls in Mabolo, non sectarian. Preschool until grade two. Majority of their students are topnotchers when they moved on. Montessori-type. My three year old doesn't want to miss a class!

Headshot

People should also realize that even the public schools are sectarian here, with Catholic Mass being performed on school grounds on a regular basis. I'm Catholic, so that doesn't bother me, but if I wasn't, it would certainly bother me. Students can opt out, but then they are "marked" by their classmates and teachers for not participating.

Smart Owls in Mabolo, non sectarian. Preschool until grade two. Majority of their students are top-notchers when they moved on. Montessori-type. My three year old doesn't want to miss a class!

If Montessori-style schools are acceptable to the OP, then that would certainly be a good option. My 4-year-old feels the same way about her classes at Ateneo (excited every day to go to school), but then SHS Ateneo de Cebu certainly isn't non-sectarian (run by Jesuit priests).

• 2 weeks later...
MisterLMP

Thanks for all your advice.

Since he is only 5, the best thing might just be to let him interact with his family and friends for 6 months (we are returning after that). However I will try to find some additional information about the schools mentioned in this thread before we decide.

Thanks again!

Enuff

People should also realize that even the public schools are sectarian here, with Catholic Mass being performed on school grounds on a regular basis. I'm Catholic, so that doesn't bother me, but if I wasn't, it would certainly bother me. Students can opt out, but then they are "marked" by their classmates and teachers for not participating.

Its a catholic country, I hope they don't change and try to be more others!

• 3 months later...
MisterLMP

Hi,

We have decided to stay in Cebu for 12 months, instead of 6 months which we orginally planned. Therefore things have turned and we will definitely try to find some kind a kindergarten/learning center for our 5-year old son. We will arrive in Cebu a month from now.

Childlink has been recommended to us (http://www.childlink.info/). Does anybody have any experience of them?

Because of the traffic situation, the school should be in close proximity. Apart from that, you should ask yourself what you expect from the school.

People often focus so much on the right school at young age today. I disagree with that. Even a shitty school will be a good life experience. A higly recommended school can be a strain on the kid and family and ruin his/her future willingness to study. Have seen it a few times.

In general I find that they overdo it with schooling here at Kindergarden/elementary level. Montessori is probably the best suggestion I have read so far in this threat which goes along the lines what I think is right for young children.

MisterLMP

Ckfm: Some very wise words, and I totaly agree with you.

We are looking for a playful environment, there he can develop some very basic skills (like learning the alphabet, writing his name, math on a 1+1=2 level e t c). We also want him to pick up more English and Bisaya (his primary language is Swedish). Any more advance and "very school-like" would not be right for him since he is only 5. An additional requirement which we have is that the focus should not be on religion, even if we have the deepest respect that the Philippines is a catholic country.

We will be staying in the Banawa/Guadalupe area, so we really appreciate additional recommendations of kindergartens/learning centers around that area. Also, if anybody have any experience of Childlink, we would appreciate if you can share them.

ahoy53

When my daughters lived in Cebu,they went to Maria Montessori.I thought it was a good school.

There is one near Gororodo Ave and Escario

Regards