Sign in to follow this  
bkkmarlowe

Aussie govt NEW rules for Citizenship by Descent

bkkmarlowe

Today I read on another LinC topic that the Aussie embassy in Manila has changed the rules for Citizenship by Descent.

Not long ago it was a simple process for an Australian parent to claim Citizenship by Descent for his child born in the Philippines.  There was no need to go to Manila. You just fill out the correct form at the office in Keppel building (behind Cebu city Ayala mall) submit a few photos and documents, pay the very reasonable fees and it was all done in a few weeks. Simple and painless.

Now I read on another LinC topic (about Australian OA pensions) that the embassy requires costly DNA tests at St Lukes hospital in Manila if you want to claim Citizenship by Descent for your child.

Is this new ruling for all Australian embassies, or just the one in Manila? Anyone have an update on this?

mikewright
Now I read on another LinC topic (about Australian OA pensions) that the embassy requires costly DNA tests at St Lukes hospital in Manila if you want to claim Citizenship by Descent for your child. Is this new ruling for all Australian embassies, or just the one in Manila? Anyone have an update on this?

DNA testing is not mandatory when applying for Australian citizenship by descent, but may be requested by the Department if in the Department's view there has not been sufficient evidence provided to prove the relationship.

DNA testing is not mandatory

You do not have to undertake DNA testing when its use is suggested. DNA testing is not required by law. It is another form of evidence; usually an alternative to a birth certificate. If you decide to undertake DNA testing, the department provides information on how to arrange a test that will meet the department’s requirements. Any test obtained outside these requirements may not be accepted.

If you decide not to undertake DNA testing, a decision on your visa or citizenship by descent application will be made on the information available to the department at that time.

http://www.border.gov.au/forms/Documents/1259i.pdf

Simplest procedure is to register the birth of the child with the Australian Embassy as soon as the child is born.  This seems to be a simple procedure where the parents are married at the time of birth and are recorded on the birth certificate. The Department will let you know at that stage if they require further evidence to prove the relationship.

The poster who was asked to get a DNA test in the earlier thread was not married to the child's mother at the time of birth, (the marriage occurred 13 years after the child was born), and the child was not registered with the Australian embassy until the child was 15. In such circumstances, and particularly if the Australian was not recorded on the Philippine birth certificate as the father, a DNA test would be suggested as proof of the relationship.

This has been the case for years; it's not something new.

Edited by mikewright
  • Like 5

seram

Hi Mike. I was registered as the father on the child's birth cert. as well as the baptismal. The godfather was an Australian citizen who was obviously at the church for the ceremony. The child's surname on the Birth cert. is my name.

Photo's showed me at the hospital for the birth of my son and then ongoing for the next 15 years. Affidavits were given from various people of good standing in the Philippines. I considered that the info I had given them was more then proof of him being my son.

They requested a DNA test.

I agree that you should register the birth at the embassy as soon as possible. It will not guarantee you that a DNA test will not be requested.

cheers

• Like 2

OzGuy43

We got our daughters citizenship by descent when she was 8 months old in September 2015. Very simple process if you have all the documents and proof or relationship. We received her citizenship papers after about 3 weeks. My misses did have to fly to Manila for a quick interview. In and out in 30 minutes. We did not register her birth at the Aussie Embassy when she was born but my name was on her birth certificate. BSF Global will pick up your documents from your home and return the citizenship papers when it is completed for a fee of about 1200 Pesos.

• Like 2

bkkmarlowe

Simplest procedure is to register the birth of the child with the Australian Embassy as soon as the child is born

Thanks Mike for the update. Good to know that the DNA test is not mandatory, but may be helpful in some cases.

Regarding your advice to get the child registered with our embassy... does the Australian parent have to go there to the embassy in person... or can it be done by mail or online?

mikewright

According to the Department's website, you can lodge online or by post -

Online application

To apply online you will need to have an ImmiAccount. After you have completed and paid for your online application your will need to attach your scanned documents.

This includes a completed Form 1195 – Identity declaration (305KB PDF) and endorsed photograph for each applicant in your online application.

If you are 18 years of age or over, you will also need to attach a completed Form 80 - Personal particulars for assessment including character assessment (517KB PDF).

Paper application

Complete Form 118 - Application for Australian citizenship by descent (237KB PDF) and lodge it together with the certified copies of your documents, endorsed photograph and the application fee. Information on how to complete the form is available.

If you are 18 years of age or over, you will also need to lodge a completed Form 80 - Personal particulars for assessment including character assessment (517KB PDF).

If you are outside Australia, send your application to your nearest Immigration office outside Australia.

If you are in Australia send your application to our office in Tasmania.

The Client Service Charter provides details on the service standard for processing an application for Australian citizenship by descent. If you do not receive notification within the time given in the charter you can contact the Citizenship Information Line on 131 880, for applications lodged in Australia. For applications lodged outside Australia, you can contact your nearest Immigration office outside Australia.

Australian citizenship commences on the date the application is approved. You do not need to attend a citizenship ceremony.

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Citi/Appl/How-to-apply/Application-process-for-citizenship-by-descent

• Like 1