Sign in to follow this  
Goetz1965

Don't go Crown Regency Cebu - no service and overpriced !

ckfm

It's just the way many hotels are run here - but there are exceptions and those are the ones which should be promoted. I never stayed at this hotel but it sounds like many run of the mill hotels here. There is no reason to not book a hotel upfront online. Just go to agoda on your phone and book it, most if not all are available for same day booking, no need to print out. 10 hours of travel? I have had fights with taxi drivers after 30 hours of travel, I would have never accepted the rack rate. Same story with parking at many hotels, try arriving on a motorbike, you WILL get a parking spot beside the sewer.

But one thing I agree, the management in the Philippines is often trained to cater to so called "rich Filipinos" who treat every guard and employee like shit and they allow it because they also tip.

Also, many buinesses have an abundance of non working and non trained employees, and THAT IS the problem of the management.

I am glad for airbnb, if you want good service and cheap prices, that's the way to go.

AussieLex

Actually I have found the rules of hotels to be pretty much the same in every country that I have been in

I was referring to the no standing in front and the parking situation ... I thought no one ever just walks into hotel anymore and takes the rack rate ...

• Like 1

Davaoeno

. I thought no one ever just walks into hotel anymore and takes the rack rate

Apparently some people still do !! haha

smokey

It's just the way many hotels are run here - but there are exceptions and those are the ones which should be promoted. I never stayed at this hotel but it sounds like many run of the mill hotels here. There is no reason to not book a hotel upfront online. Just go to agoda on your phone and book it, most if not all are available for same day booking, no need to print out. 10 hours of travel? I have had fights with taxi drivers after 30 hours of travel, I would have never accepted the rack rate. Same story with parking at many hotels, try arriving on a motorbike, you WILL get a parking spot beside the sewer.

But one thing I agree, the management in the Philippines is often trained to cater to so called "rich Filipinos" who treat every guard and employee like shit and they allow it because they also tip.

Also, many buinesses have an abundance of non working and non trained employees, and THAT IS the problem of the management.

I am glad for airbnb, if you want good service and cheap prices, that's the way to go.

Like on the large ferry boats the girl who changes the beds has a 4 year degree in Hotel management and had to work free for 6 months and now makes 460 peso a day as a full time employee oh no days off for the first year

• Like 1

rep1

Actually I have found the rules of hotels to be pretty much the same in every country that I have been in - if you walk in and ask the price you get the rack rate- which is the highest rate possible.

Actually, the front desk girls told us to book it online when we asked to extend the period. The price difference is 40-50%.

• Like 1

Buko Beach

It's just the way many hotels are run here - but there are exceptions and those are the ones which should be promoted. I never stayed at this hotel but it sounds like many run of the mill hotels here. There is no reason to not book a hotel upfront online.

Just go to agoda on your phone and book it, most if not all are available for same day booking, no need to print out.

When booking a hotel online, every hotel in the Philippines that I have stayed at requested a hard copy of the booking. They want a printout so there is no misunderstanding about number of days booked, breakfast included, number of guests ect.

Crown Regency Fuente is no exception and they require a hard copy. They will allow you to checkin without the hard copy but they will refuse to give you breakfast coupons and they will give you a hard time at checkout if you failed to provide the hard copy.

The only time a hard copy was not requested was when I booked directly with the hotel without using an online hotel discount website or when using short-time hotels.

10 hours of travel? I have had fights with taxi drivers after 30 hours of travel, I would have never accepted the rack rate. Same story with parking at many hotels, try arriving on a motorbike, you WILL get a parking spot beside the sewer.

There's a rapidly growing middle class in the Philippines and they love to travel, and hotels are targeting the middle class vs "rich Filipinos". Middle class Filipinos travel what seems like once a month, be it Bohol, HK or just a stay-cation to a local hotel with a swimming pool. Heck, someone has to go on FB and post umpteen zillions of pics to show all their friends what a great life they have!

IMO you do not fully understand the way the HRM worker-bee program works.

HRM students go to school and get a degree. They have to do an On Job Training (OJT) at a local hotel. Most of the time the hotel never pays the OJT students, so the hotel gets free labor. If the OJT trainee is lucky they get a 6 month contract at the end of the OJT, but most are fired after 6 months to make way for more free OJT labor.

That's why you see so many non-working and poorly trained hotel staff. When the hotel is getting free worker bees every 6 months they tolerate many OJT to just stand around, and the hotel has the pick of the OJT trainees that choose to work their ass off to offer a 6 month contract. Most OJT know there will be no contract offer, so they just do the minimum.

AirBNB in Cebu is full of over-priced OFW's looking to rent out their empty condos/house while they are away. The vast majority are way over-priced but there are also a few gems to be found.

Buko Beach

Deleted

Double post

Edited by Buko Beach

Davaoeno

They will allow you to checkin without the hard copy but they will refuse to give you breakfast coupons and they will give you a hard time at checkout if you failed to provide the hard copy.

As soon as I get to my room I just email the reservation to the front desk and they are happy to print it out. 

. If the OJT trainee is lucky they get a 6 month contract at the end of the OJT, but most are fired after 6 months to make way for more free OJT labor.

Actually most businesses give a 5 month contract. That is because after 5 months they have to pay benefits and 13th month 

• Like 2

rizla

I spend most of my life travelling, especiall around Asia/Europe, I NEVER carry a hard copy of the booking, I show my phone app, and that is all that is required, in China I rarely even show the app, my passport is all that is required for the booking to come up on their computer.

I have apps for agoda, Booking, Ctrip as they seem to have the best prices/discounts.

I don't recall showing anything at Best Western Lex other than my phone app

miles-high

Apparently some people still do !! haha

What would you do if a young and lovely FA from the flight you just got off and you hit it off and decided to go to Crown Regency… Are you going to ask her to wait (you know the internet is slow there), take your tablet out, find their website, make a reservation and find a business center to print it out? :D

• Like 2

Davaoeno

What would you do if a young and lovely FA from the flight you just got off and you hit it off and decided to go to Crown Regency… Are you going to ask her to wait (you know the internet is slow there), take your tablet out, find their website, make a reservation and find a business center to print it out? :D

The only question I would ask is " Do you accept American Express?"   :ROFLMAO:

• Like 3

A_Simple_Man

I spend most of my life travelling, especially around Asia/Europe, I NEVER carry a hard copy of the booking, I show my phone app, and that is all that is required

I met a fellow who said exactly the same thing 2 months back.  We were both at the check in of Quest Hotel in Cebu and he was saying exactly what you said.  It wasn't getting him anywhere until he tried a similar tactic to the one that Davaoeno mentioned in post 23.  And by the way, I had a hard copy and was on my way to my room while the senior desk clerk was dragging this other fellow to a back room somewhere to arrange for a printout.

• Like 2

Buko Beach

As soon as I get to my room I just email the reservation to the front desk and they are happy to print it out.

Well you seem to have things figured out, I have always travelled with the hard copy and just handed it over when I check in, but your way sounds easier when booking a hotel on the go. Although, I have arrived at hotels where the wifi/internet connection was not working. Having a hard copy on hand with the saved confirmation email online as a backup works for me when I'm in the Philippines.

Outside the Philippines I can have the front desk staff scan a QR code from my Iphone and everything's all good, no need to print, but the Philippines are paper crazy. They need to have paper in front of them or (to them) it's not real.

Actually most businesses give a 5 month contract. That is because after 5 months they have to pay benefits and 13th month

Every OJT I have ever talked to tells me it's a 6 month contract. I know the regulations state the OJT period must not exceed 6 months, and after 6 months regular pay and benefits must be awarded. Do you have proof from DOLE pay and benefits kick in after 5 months?

Davaoeno

3. How would the new DO induced Ethical and Professionalization of Subcontracting?

1. Requiring an employment contract and Service Agreement.
      2. Prescribing a standard form for Service Agreement (will be checked through seal of Good Housekeeping)
      3. Setting a standard administrative fee of at least ten (10) percent to prevent the “race to the bottom” competition to the detriment of workers.
      4. Inclusion of cooperatives to observe the regulations on subcontracting and the required registration with DOLE Regional Offices to ensure their compliance to labor standards and regulations.
      5. Validity of registration is limited to the region where it is registered. In case of Service Agreement outside the region where registered, the subcon should submit a DOLE certified copy of its registration to the region where it seeks to operate for registration & monitoring purposes.
      6. Development of co-regulation schemes with the tripartite stakeholders.
      7. Prohibition of repeated hiring of employees under an employment contract of short duration (5-month employment contract) or under a Service Agreement of short duration with the same or different contractors.
      8. 8.Underscoring observance of security of tenure by requiring compliance with the clear standards of due process in termination cases.
      10. http://www.blr.dole.gov.ph/frequently-asked-questions/36-issues-and-concerns

1. 11. What do we mean by hiring practice of repeated "5-5-5" or "endo" workers that are prohibited by DO 18-A, S. 2011?

The “5-5-5” or “endo” workers refers to the hiring practice that is deliberately resorted to prevent workers from acquiring regular status by reason of length of service of at least 6 months and one day. Under a subcontracting arrangement, this is done through:

(a) repeated short-term arrangements (e.g., “5 months, 5 months”, “5-5-5”, or less) by one principal through the same contractor, or under different contractors, or

(b) repeated short-term arrangements (e.g., “5 months, 5 months”, “5-5-5”, or less) through a Service Agreement of short duration under the same contractor, or different contractors.

Jurisprudence of repeated hiring is well-settled. Repeated hiring of the same workers shows that he/she is performing functions that is usual and necessary to the trade or business of the employer.

On the other hand, the 5-5-5 working arrangement that is not repeated has been declared by the SC in the Purefoods Case in General Santos, as in violation of public policy as it has been shown to have been resorted to prevent regular employment.

Edited by Davaoeno

rizla

I met a fellow who said exactly the same thing 2 months back.  We were both at the check in of Quest Hotel in Cebu and he was saying exactly what you said.  It wasn't getting him anywhere until he tried a similar tactic to the one that Davaoeno mentioned in post 23.  And by the way, I had a hard copy and was on my way to my room while the senior desk clerk was dragging this other fellow to a back room somewhere to arrange for a printout.

So why do the agents go to the bother of paying for apps to be developed? I have never had a problem, and if I did, I would call the agency and get them to deal with it, I would also write a very poor review of the hotel, whay is different between the hard copy (which is always given back and never copied) and the phones page?