Ice Cream Sticker Shock!

mistaeric

mistaeric

I get a craving for ice cream now and again and I try to eat healthy when I can, so a chose the sugar free vanilla ice cream by a Phil Co. called F.I.C. That's the only sugar free I can find here in Cebu City. I never looked at the cost a few times I bought it because I was just glad to find it. I sent my girl to the grocery to get a gallon of the same brand and she text me, was aware the ice cream cost P695 per gallon!! I really didn't but I told her to buy it anyway. So now Im looking to make some homemade sugar-free Ice Cream. Anybody here tried the homemade method? Do they sell the ice cream making machines here in Phils?

Do they sell the ice cream making machines here in Phils?

Everyone else seems to be trying it. So, maybe take a look at that Lazada website?

Everyone else seems to be trying it. So, maybe take a look at that Lazada website?

Paul is right, here it is

http://www.lazada.com.ph/nice-ice-20-minute-ice-cream-maker-ok-368-orangpink-1474227.html

delivered at your doorstep in a few days  899 PHP

A_Simple_Man

the ice cream cost P695 per gallon!!

We just bought a 750 ml container of Selecta Ice Cream from our local convenience store at a cost of 145 peso.  Its the normal, smaller size.  There are 3785 ml in a US gallon so we would have to buy 5 of these to get a gallon of ice cream.  That is 5 x 145 = 725 pesos a gallon for crappy old Selecta Ice Cream.

You got a deal!

• Like 2
mistaeric

Paul is right, here it is

http://www.lazada.com.ph/nice-ice-20-minute-ice-cream-maker-ok-368-orangpink-1474227.html

delivered at your doorstep in a few days  899 PHP

I did see that one,but I also saw one just like it with 6 reviews and 5 were crappy.

http://www.lazada.com.ph/nice-ice-ice-cream-maker-105456.html

Edited by mistaeric
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

good home made ice cream isn't cheap to make... but if you are ok with something more like ice milk.. which is alright .. you can save some money perhaps..

we use full heavy cream (we don't cut it with milk or half and half at all) and eggs and such when we make ice cream.. very rich very good expensive compared to any thing you can buy already made 

at least in the states.

the machine we use is a hamilton beach 4 quart machine.. basic cost 30 bucks or so in the states and works like a charm

the good thing about making your own is no matter how you choose to make it... you know for sure what's in it

• Like 3
RogerDat

Ube ice cream has natural sugars, It is sold in US, and diabetics are buying it there. We also have local ube.

Did you guys ever have the old fashioned hand crank job with the wooden barrel ....  Oh man I have memories of crankin' that thing and adding rock salt to the ice  to make it colder.     Later when we upgraded to an electric crank.. it was sure easy. but it the Ice Cream just didn't quite taste as good...

• Like 1

Where would you get cold enough ice? So much ice is stored in coolers , not freezers .

As a child , we went out side with an axe and had all,the ice we wanted in the winter.

SkyMan

We just bought a 750 ml container of Selecta Ice Cream from our local convenience store at a cost of 145 peso.  Its the normal, smaller size.  There are 3785 ml in a US gallon so we would have to buy 5 of these to get a gallon of ice cream.  That is 5 x 145 = 725 pesos a gallon for crappy old Selecta Ice Cream.

You got a deal!

I don't buy ice cream often but when I do it's  Tillamook from Rustan's.  I think it's p479 for 1.75 quarts.  About p1100/gallon aka  ~$23/gallon.  Ouch.  Well, I'm worth it.

Did you guys ever have the old fashioned hand crank job with the wooden barrel ....  Oh man I have memories of crankin' that thing and adding rock salt to the ice  to make it colder.     Later when we upgraded to an electric crank.. it was sure easy. but it the Ice Cream just didn't quite taste as good...

Yeah, you just can't recreate that sweat factor with an electric.  Eeeeewwwww

Edited by SkyMan
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

making your own

Definitely the only way to go, especially if you are a connoisseur. 

The local brands here are horrible in general. Even the so called 'gourmet' and 'boutique' brands that have emerged lately just don't have the butter fat content that a gourmet ice cream should have - it is quite apparent. Yet they are still way expensive. 

One would do better grabbing some Hagen Daz over anything locally made. 

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Even if you make your own, are good ingredients available?

Sure but very cost prohibitive. 

My Mrs. made a proper tiramisu the other week and the ingredient costs were shocking.  

High end is not cheap here.