Sign in to follow this  
Traviz

Australian Pension & the two year non portability rule for expats.

KennyF

I forget the details but Australia had reciprocal deals with several countries where they give Aussies the pension and Australians give them pensions.

Greece is one such country. A Greek can get a Greek pension while in Oz and an Aussie can collect an Oz pension while in Greece.

KonC

• Like 1

ckfm

They need cheap labour and not old farts spending their money elsewhere. Now that the "made in China" job stealing machine has run it's course and money into big business pockets, they started the cheap labour immigrant scam. It's not about humanity of course, only money as usual.

• Like 1

Hy H

I forget the details but Australia had reciprocal deals with several countries where they give Aussies the pension and Australians give them pensions.

Greece is one such country. A Greek can get a Greek pension while in Oz and an Aussie can collect an Oz pension while in Greece.

KonC

That`s right.  Many also forgets inc the gov that Oz receives close to 3 times the pension payment $`s than it pays out. Have no official figures for this but so I have read somewere.

• Like 3

Traviz

I have a Pension related question that I can't seem to find the answer to that maybe someone here can help me with  ...

Does becoming a "non resident of Australia for tax purposes," have any affect on the Pension of an Expat who chooses to live permanently overseas 

in a country that has a non reciprocal agreement with Australia (ie: Philippines)?

KennyF

To the best of my knowledge, for your OAP to become portable, you MUST be residential in Australia for the two years leading up to OR the two years following your claiming of the OAP.

Once you have achieved that, you can go live where you like, tax is a separate matter and doesn't come into it.

I am a "non resident of Australia for tax purposes" and I live overseas.

KonC

• Like 2