Sign in to follow this  
Traviz

Australian Pension & the two year non portability rule for expats.

mikewright

Pity the poor smokers. Four price hikes of 12.5% each over the next four years will take the price of fags to around $40 a packet.

But now we’re facing four annual 12.5 per cent increases to cigarettes, we’re looking at forking out FORTY DOLLARS FOR ONE PACK OF CIGARETTES. Just sit there and think about it for a minute. Forty dollars. Whether you’re a smoker or not, you’ve got to admit, that’s a hell of a lot of money.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/federal-budget/why-the-government-needs-to-give-smokers-a-break/news-story/96e62ef63bad1fbc0cfdcc7f5a2766f7

Edited by mikewright

Enuff

Pity the poor smokers. Four price hikes of 12.5% each over the next four years will take the price of a packet of fags to around $40 a packet.

I just returned to USA from RP and brought enough smokes & scotch to pay for half of my flight.

At $400 a carton I would think its cheaper to fly to RP and buy a few cartons and fly back!

• Like 1

mikewright

At $400 a carton I would think its cheaper to fly to RP and buy a few cartons and fly back!

Unfortunately the Government covered that possibility.  The number of cigarettes you can bring in to Oz duty free is now 25, less than two packets :(.

• Like 1

Enuff

Unfortunately the Government covered that possibility.  The number of cigarettes you can bring in to Oz duty free is now 25, less than two packets :(.

Oh well,at least they are on their game and making sure they bend every resident over the barrel properly!

A very dear and close friend of mine recently brought back 5 cartons (50 packs) to the USA ............he said the savings covered almost half of his airfare.

bargeman

My passport stamps had to prove that I was in the Philippines at the time of conception.It meant nothing nor would a marriage certificate but as you say Australia may be more stricter the the USA.

Same for UK.

Hy H

Another little interesting read for us looking to retire o/s.  We might need to unite for little message for Mr Turnbul for our preferences on this.

Pension changes could see over 80,000 pensions cut

Each year Australian taxpayers pay nearly $800 million to support over 81,000 pensioners living overseas, but changes to criteria could see their Age Pensions reduced or cut altogether.
Over the last two decades, the number of Australians living overseas who receive Age Pensions has tripled. Currently, more than 81,000 full- or part-age pensioners live offshore, with a further 6500 disability support pensioners (DSP) in the same situation.
In 1993 around 23,000 age pensioners and 8455 disability support pensioners lived overseas. In 2013, that number rose to a total of 87,791 being supported.
Most of these pensioners live in New Zealand, Italy, Greece, Portugal, Ireland, Britain and Spain.
According to The Australian, Social Services Minister Christian Porter wants to enforce the “residency-based nature of Australia’s welfare system” but, so far, his wish has been blocked in the Senate by Labor.
“The annual combined cost of these is $765.4m,” said Mr Porter. “$660.8m from the Age Pension and $104.6m from the DSP."
In response to this, the Government has proposed to reduce the period that the means-tested Age Pension, as well as some other payments, can be paid to people living outside of Australia. It plans to reduce this period from 26 weeks to six weeks.
Currently, Australians who receive a full Age Pension must have worked in the country for at least 35 years.
However, the proposed changes to residency criteria, will see pensioners have their rates adjusted according to how long they’ve worked in Australia. So if someone has worked in country for 13 years but move overseas one they retire, they will receive 13/35ths of the Age Pension they’d receive if they stayed here.
“This measure will provide savings of $168.4m over the forward estimates, which Labor has opposed. This change reinforces the strong residency based nature of Australia’s welfare system,” said Mr Porter.
A Labor spokesperson has said that the proposed changes would affect 190,000 “migrant pensioners”, such as those who want to travel overseas for more than six months at a time, as well as close to 90,000 who live permanently overseas.
Are the proposed changes fair? Will they affect you? Do you think they should apply to travellers overseas or just to permanent residents?
  • Like 1

Jsteam

Another little interesting read for us looking to retire o/s.  We might need to unite for little message for Mr Turnbul for our preferences on this.

Each year Australian taxpayers pay nearly $800 million to support over 81,000 pensioners living overseas, but changes to criteria could see their Age Pensions reduced or cut altogether.
Over the last two decades, the number of Australians living overseas who receive Age Pensions has tripled. Currently, more than 81,000 full- or part-age pensioners live offshore, with a further 6500 disability support pensioners (DSP) in the same situation.
In 1993 around 23,000 age pensioners and 8455 disability support pensioners lived overseas. In 2013, that number rose to a total of 87,791 being supported.
Most of these pensioners live in New Zealand, Italy, Greece, Portugal, Ireland, Britain and Spain.
According to The Australian, Social Services Minister Christian Porter wants to enforce the “residency-based nature of Australia’s welfare system” but, so far, his wish has been blocked in the Senate by Labor.
“The annual combined cost of these is $765.4m,” said Mr Porter. “$660.8m from the Age Pension and $104.6m from the DSP."
In response to this, the Government has proposed to reduce the period that the means-tested Age Pension, as well as some other payments, can be paid to people living outside of Australia. It plans to reduce this period from 26 weeks to six weeks.
Currently, Australians who receive a full Age Pension must have worked in the country for at least 35 years.
However, the proposed changes to residency criteria, will see pensioners have their rates adjusted according to how long they’ve worked in Australia. So if someone has worked in country for 13 years but move overseas one they retire, they will receive 13/35ths of the Age Pension they’d receive if they stayed here.
“This measure will provide savings of $168.4m over the forward estimates, which Labor has opposed. This change reinforces the strong residency based nature of Australia’s welfare system,” said Mr Porter.
A Labor spokesperson has said that the proposed changes would affect 190,000 “migrant pensioners”, such as those who want to travel overseas for more than six months at a time, as well as close to 90,000 who live permanently overseas.
Are the proposed changes fair? Will they affect you? Do you think they should apply to travellers overseas or just to permanent residents?

F*** THAT!!!

I can guarantee the labour party will support this, via the back door!

Time to start sending emails!

:wheel:

• Like 2

KennyF
Currently, Australians who receive a full Age Pension must have worked in the country for at least 35 years. However, the proposed changes to residency criteria, will see pensioners have their rates adjusted according to how long they’ve worked in Australia. So if someone has worked in country for 13 years but move overseas one they retire, they will receive 13/35ths of the Age Pension they’d receive if they stayed here.

I was under the impression that this was how it is already.

And a small point,

If they stopped me from claiming my OA pension overseas,

I'd just move back to OZ. Where I'd also claim a housing benefit, free medical etc, etc.

So where's the saving?

KonC

Edited by KennyF
  • Like 5

contraman

YAWN  

They should leave the OAP alone and put some extra effort into so called disability payments paid overseas :idontknow:

• Like 2

fred42

Are all these OAP pension rule changes legal??  

Sounds more like a dodgy pyramid scheme to me.

Ozepete

Same old beat up every election! :snap:

• Like 1

contraman

If they stopped me from claiming my OA pension overseas, I'd just move back to OZ. Where I'd also claim a housing benefit, free medical etc, etc.   So where's the saving?

Stop being so Farken Logical.

They are Politicians, They would never think that way :idontknow:

• Like 2

Enuff

Why is every government officials 1st line of cost savings fecking with the people who have worked and paid into their own retirement?

God forbid they go after the twats that are collecting money yet have never worked.

• Like 2

Art

This is old news and already implemented.  When I was overseas last year they cut some of my pension after six weeks I wrote and complained to them and they wrote back saying they can't do anything because I was overseas.  

• Like 1

Gus

Yes , after 6 weeks you will revert to the basic pension and all the supplementary payments will be deducted . That's what us guys that live outside Australia get .. fair enough !

A lot of the problem apparently stems from many of those guys, Italian, Greek etc who came to work on the Snowy River scheme, then headed back to their home villages to live on the Aussie pension ..

Bet there,s plenty that have passed away over the years, but the family still collects the pension.

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk